So, for example, if θ = 2π, then θ = 2π ≠ cos-1(cos(2π)) = cos-1(1) = 0.

In summary, the value of cosθ is 1.316581, which is not within the valid range for cosθ. The maximum value for cosθ is 1 and the minimum value is -1. Additionally, the statement cos-1cosθ = θ // if and only if 0 ≤ θ ≤ 1 is incorrect, as the correct statement is cos-1cosθ = θ // if and only if 0 ≤ θ ≤ π.
EngnrMatt

Homework Statement

cosθ = 1.316581

Homework Equations

cos-1cosθ = θ // if and only if 0[itex]\leqθ\leq1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is actually the result of an attempt at a solution to solve an even larger problem (SAS triangle specifically). I need to know how to restrict the cosθ value in order to get θ. If it helps any, the original fraction was (49-196.457081)/-112

I know its got to be simple. I just have a terrible professor for math :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Well cosθ > 1 will yield no real solutions as -1≤cosθ≤1

Meaning that the maximum value of cosθ is 1 and the minimum value is -1.

EngnrMatt said:

Homework Statement

cosθ = 1.316581

Homework Equations

cos-1cosθ = θ // if and only if 0[itex]\leqθ\leq1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is actually the result of an attempt at a solution to solve an even larger problem (SAS triangle specifically). I need to know how to restrict the cosθ value in order to get θ. If it helps any, the original fraction was (49-196.457081)/-112

I know its got to be simple. I just have a terrible professor for math :P
As rock.freak667 point out, cos(θ) can never be greater than 1, nor less than -1.

Perhaps θ = 1.316581 and you need to find cos(∂).

As for your statement: cos-1cosθ = θ // if and only if 0 ≤ θ ≤ 1 , that's incorrect.

The correct statement is
[itex]\displaystyle \cos^{-1}(\cos(\theta))=\theta\ \ \text{ if and only if }\ \ 0\le\theta\le\pi\ .[/itex]​

1. What is a cosine function?

A cosine function is a mathematical function that describes the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle. It is defined as the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

2. How can a cosine function be restricted?

A cosine function can be restricted by limiting the range of its input values, also known as the domain. This can be done by using a horizontal or vertical translation, or by changing the amplitude or period of the function.

3. Why would someone want to restrict a cosine function?

Restricting a cosine function can be useful in applications where the full range of the function is not needed. For example, in physics, a cosine function may only need to be evaluated for a certain range of angles within a given system.

4. What are the effects of restricting a cosine function?

The effects of restricting a cosine function depend on how it is restricted. If the domain is limited, the graph of the function will be truncated or cut off. If the amplitude or period is changed, the shape of the graph will be altered.

5. Are there any real-world examples of restricted cosine functions?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of restricted cosine functions. For instance, in music, the amplitude and period of a sound wave can be adjusted to produce different pitches and frequencies. In engineering, the rotation of a crankshaft can be modeled using a restricted cosine function to determine the motion of a piston in an engine.