Partial differentiation with 3 variables

In summary: You just need to use the definition of the derivative.In summary, the conversation discusses the partial differentiation of a function, z(x,y) = 2x + 2y^2, with respect to x and y using two different methods. The first method involves rewriting the function in terms of x and y and taking the partial derivative, while the second method uses the multivariable chain rule. However, when using the chain rule, it is important to be careful as it can lead to incorrect results. The conversation also mentions the use of the chain rule in fluid mechanics problems and provides links for further understanding of the concept.
_Stew_
Given a function: z(x,y) = 2x +2y^2
Determine ∂x/∂y [the partial differentiation of x with respect to y],

Method 1:

x = (z/2) - y^2
∂x/∂y = -2y

Method 2:

∂z/∂x = 2
∂z/∂y = 4y
∂x/∂y = ∂x/∂z X ∂z/∂y = (1/2) X 4y = 2y

One or both of these is wrong. Can someone point out where I went wrong? I started to wonder why this was happening as I was looking over some fluid mechanics problems (above problem is unrelated to my original problem but if I understand the above problem it will help)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got your cyclic rule wrong, it's (-1)× what you have, ie

[tex]\frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{y}}\frac{\partial{y}}{\partial{z}}\frac{ \partial {z}}{\partial{x}}=-1\implies\frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{y}}=-\frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{z}}\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{y}}[/tex]

I hadn't heard of that rule before. Thanks for clearing this up !

Oh, it looked like you were trying to apply that. In that case, you should be *much more careful* about partial derivatives, you can rarely use chain rule with partial derivatives like that. If you really want to, use the multivariable chain rule, but *don't* just say that "(∂x/∂y)= (∂x/∂z)(∂z/∂y)". It will get you into trouble very quickly.

Here's a way of getting at it that I think you will like:
[tex]dz=\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)dx+\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)dy[/tex]
If you are taking the partial of x with respect to y at constant z, then dz must be zero. So,
[tex]0=\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)dx+\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)dy[/tex]
So, [tex]\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)=-\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)/\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]

I actually don't understand your first equation.

dz= (∂z/∂x)dx + (∂z/∂y)dy

I tried to look up the proof on Wikipedia but it also doesn't explain it. There must be something intuitive about it but I don't see how you can mix dx,dy,dz with ∂x,∂y,∂z. My fluid mechanics lecturer used the same equation but with Pressure as a function of x,y,z and didn't explain why:

dP= (∂P/∂x)dx + (∂P/∂y)dy + (∂P/∂z)dz

_Stew_ said:
I actually don't understand your first equation.

dz= (∂z/∂x)dx + (∂z/∂y)dy

I tried to look up the proof on Wikipedia but it also doesn't explain it. There must be something intuitive about it but I don't see how you can mix dx,dy,dz with ∂x,∂y,∂z. My fluid mechanics lecturer used the same equation but with Pressure as a function of x,y,z and didn't explain why:

dP= (∂P/∂x)dx + (∂P/∂y)dy + (∂P/∂z)dz

You must have been out of class in Calc I when they went over the chain rule. Here is a refresher:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/ChainRule.aspx

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/Differentials.aspx

I looked over the two links you gave me, thanks. They don't give a proof but bring up some good ideas. I noticed it is similar to implicit differentiation.

What sort of proof do you require?

1. What is partial differentiation with 3 variables?

Partial differentiation with 3 variables is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other two variables constant. It is an extension of regular differentiation, which deals with functions of a single variable.

2. Why is partial differentiation with 3 variables important?

Partial differentiation with 3 variables is important in many fields of science, particularly in physics and engineering. It allows us to analyze how a system or process changes when multiple variables are involved, and is crucial in solving problems involving optimization, gradients, and rates of change.

3. How is partial differentiation with 3 variables calculated?

To calculate partial differentiation with 3 variables, we treat the other two variables as constants and differentiate the function with respect to the variable of interest. This is done by simply applying the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and the chain rule, while treating the other variables as constants.

4. Can partial differentiation with 3 variables be applied to any function?

Yes, partial differentiation with 3 variables can be applied to any function that has 3 variables. However, the function must be differentiable, meaning it must have a well-defined derivative at each point in its domain.

5. What are some real-life applications of partial differentiation with 3 variables?

Partial differentiation with 3 variables has many real-life applications, such as in economics for analyzing how changes in multiple factors affect the overall outcome, in chemistry for determining reaction rates in complex systems, and in biology for studying the relationship between multiple variables in biological processes.