Valve pressure marking standard

In summary, there are several standards that lay out requirements for the marking of pressure ratings on shut off valves in the USA, including JASME B16.34, B16.5, API Spec 6D, API 60x, and ASME 31.3 and 31.1. Additionally, the BPVC Sections II and VIII also provide important guidelines. Further recommendations can be found in other API standards on valve and fitting procurement.
blakej
Hi,
I'm looking for a standard (CGA, ANSI, ISI, etc.) which lays out requirements for the marking of pressure ratings on shut off valves (which aren't cylinder valves) in the USA. Does anyone know what it is or if it even exists? Any insights are much appreciated.
Thanks!
Blake J

Engineering news on Phys.org
ASME B16.34 is a pretty complete standard for piping, fittings, and valves regarding pressure and temperature rating. There's also B16.5.

API Spec 6D gives the requirements and recommendations for the design, manufacturing, testing and documentation of ball, check, gate and plug valves for application in pipeline systems. (as per Eng. toolbox)

The API 60x (that is, 600, 609, etc) are standards for various types of valves.

ASME 31.3 for Process Piping might be useful as well, or 31.1 for power piping (typically dealing with boilers/high pressure and temperature fluid piping)

EDIT: Jeez, how could I forget BPVC (Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code) Sections II and VIII.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions Travis! I will check out those standards.

There are a couple more API standards regarding the procurement of valves and fittings but I don't remember which ones they are. Maybe someone with more experience in the manufacturing of valves will chime in, I'm more on the end-user side.

What is the "Valve pressure marking standard"?

The "Valve pressure marking standard" is a set of guidelines and requirements established by various regulatory bodies and industry organizations to ensure the safe operation and maintenance of valves used in industrial processes.

Why is the "Valve pressure marking standard" important?

The "Valve pressure marking standard" is important because it helps to prevent accidents and injuries by ensuring that valves are properly marked with important information such as their maximum pressure rating, material composition, and operating conditions.

Who is responsible for setting the "Valve pressure marking standard"?

The "Valve pressure marking standard" is typically set by industry organizations such as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) or the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), as well as government agencies such as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) in the United States.

What information is typically included in the "Valve pressure marking standard"?

The "Valve pressure marking standard" typically includes information such as the valve's maximum pressure rating, material composition, temperature range, and any other specific operating conditions or limitations. It may also include standards for how this information should be displayed on the valve itself.

Are all valves required to comply with the "Valve pressure marking standard"?

No, not all valves are required to comply with the "Valve pressure marking standard". However, it is highly recommended that all valves used in industrial processes adhere to these standards in order to ensure the safety of workers and the proper functioning of the valve.