What materials are best for a high pressure face seal?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of using a face seal with an internal gas pressure of 3000 psig and various material options for the seal. The participant also mentions the use of ORFS for high pressure applications and the importance of having flat surfaces to prevent extrusion of the O-ring. The conversation concludes with a consideration for using a metal seal for dynamic loads.
blakej
Hi,
I'm doing a design which requires a face seal with internal gas pressure of 3000 psig. An elastomer face seal at that pressure may run into some issues. The threaded connection between the parts that retain the seal is small and the female thread is alum which will strip under high torque which may make using a metal seal challenging. Any material suggestions I should check out for this face seal?
Thanks!
Blake J

Engineering news on Phys.org
How big is the small part that retains the seal?
What temperatures and gas chemistry does it need to handle.

Is this a rotating connection or static. Pump drive shafts sometimes employ flat ceramic face seals.

An ORFS = O-Ring Face Seal, has two flat surfaces, one with a circular groove to hold an O-ring. The O-ring seats against the outer surface of the groove. When tightened the ring is fully enclosed but any pressure pushes it against the outer joint between the surfaces. You must make sure that the faces are flat so as to prevent extrusion of the O-ring.

ORFS works quite OK at 3000 psi with hydraulic fluid. http://www.ryco.com.au/index.php?id=221

Thanks Baluncore, I'm going to use a face seal with an elastomer. It's a static seal for use with various inert gasses and no temperature extremes. If I bottom out metal to metal on the outside of the groove, I shouldn't have to worry about extrusion like I would if sealing in a bore w/o a backup ring.

Dynamic loads are a horse of a different color. An elastomer seal may not be suitable.

What is a high pressure face seal?

A high pressure face seal is a type of mechanical seal used to prevent leakage of fluids under high pressure. It is typically used in industrial equipment and machinery, such as pumps, compressors, and turbines.

How does a high pressure face seal work?

A high pressure face seal consists of two flat surfaces, typically made of metal, that are pressed together with a high amount of force. This creates a tight seal that prevents fluids from escaping. The seal may also contain additional components, such as springs or gaskets, to help maintain the seal under varying pressure conditions.

What materials are used to make high pressure face seals?

High pressure face seals are typically made of materials that can withstand high pressures and resist corrosion. Common materials include stainless steel, carbon steel, and various types of rubber or plastic. The specific material used depends on the application and the type of fluid being sealed.

What are the advantages of using high pressure face seals?

High pressure face seals offer several advantages over other types of seals. They are highly effective at preventing leakage, even under extreme pressure conditions. They also have a long lifespan and require minimal maintenance. Additionally, high pressure face seals can handle a wide range of fluid types, making them versatile for use in various industries.

How do you maintain and replace high pressure face seals?

Maintenance and replacement of high pressure face seals will vary depending on the specific equipment and seal design. However, some common maintenance practices include regular cleaning and inspection for wear or damage. If a seal needs to be replaced, it can typically be done by removing the old seal and installing a new one in its place. It is important to follow manufacturer recommendations for maintenance and replacement procedures to ensure proper functioning and safety.