Radio Transmitter | 100 km Range, No Altimeter Needed

In summary, a radio transmitter is needed to send altitude data to a receiver. The transmitter should have a range of atleast 100 kilometers, and should be as light weight as possible.
Serj
I am looking for a radio transmitter to transmit altitude. I don’t need one that comes with an altimeter. The altimeter will change in voltage as altitude changes, so the transmitter just has to transmit that data to a receiver. The transmitter must have a range of atleast 100 kilometers. It should be as light weight as possible including it’s battery power source.

Engineering news on Phys.org
thats 62 Miles !

I suppose a transmitter would be impractical.

ya think ?

How about a cell phone?
you could probably use it to send data at 56k b/s ..
meaning once a day or twice , you could have it call and download you the info it has ..

Serj said:
I am looking for a radio transmitter to transmit altitude. I don’t need one that comes with an altimeter. The altimeter will change in voltage as altitude changes, so the transmitter just has to transmit that data to a receiver. The transmitter must have a range of atleast 100 kilometers. It should be as light weight as possible including it’s battery power source.
What application will this be used for? Is the altimeter at a fixed location? How high? Are you doing this for your own experiment?

If you know a radio amateur, many are licensed to operate transceivers that range 100km and more.
This may give you some ideas - high-altitude balloon flights with amateur radio equipment.
Since they are using a weather baloon, their payload is designed to be lightweight. They are measuring altitudes up to 12,000 m. If you were planning something like this, you would have greater effective radiated power (ERP), and therefore not need as much transmitter power to cover 100km.

willib said:
How about a cell phone?
you could probably use it to send data at 56k b/s ..
meaning once a day or twice , you could have it call and download you the info it has ..

Dont cell phones only have a range of a couple miles?
Maybe I could use one of those military phones with the 1' antenna

Serj said:
I'm trying to do what they are doing, except the goal is altitude, not flight duration.
I see, perhaps this is related to your query on floating into space. Is your receiver going to be located 100km away?

You might consider a design similar to balloon guys I mentioned. All their payload instruments are sensors on ICs that feed into the microprocessor. Telemetry of all the data including altitude may be transmitted via radio beacon. If you wrote to them, I am guessing they would put you on the right track in designing a similar package.

I don't know what part of the world you are in. If you are not a licensed amateur radio operator, there may be frequencies coordinated in your country that don't require special licensing to use, usually at lower transmitting power.

1. How does the radio transmitter achieve a range of 100 km?

The radio transmitter uses a high-power transmitter and an optimized antenna design to increase the range of the signal. It also operates on a lower frequency, which allows the signal to travel further without being affected by obstacles or interference.

2. Why is an altimeter not needed for this radio transmitter?

The radio transmitter uses a ground-based approach to determine altitude, rather than relying on an altimeter. This approach uses triangulation and other techniques to accurately calculate the altitude of the aircraft without the need for an altimeter.

3. What is the frequency range of the radio transmitter?

The radio transmitter operates on a frequency range of 108-136 MHz, which is the standard frequency range used for air traffic control communication. This frequency range allows for clear and reliable communication between the aircraft and air traffic control.

4. How does the radio transmitter ensure reliable communication over long distances?

The radio transmitter uses advanced modulation techniques and error-correction coding to ensure that the signal remains strong and clear, even over long distances. It also continuously monitors and adjusts the signal to compensate for any interference or obstacles.

5. Can the radio transmitter be used in all weather conditions?

Yes, the radio transmitter is designed to withstand various weather conditions and still maintain reliable communication. It has been tested in extreme temperatures, high winds, and heavy rain, and has shown consistent performance in all conditions.