How to record songs from cassette into CDR ?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, you will need: -a cassette player -a PC sound card with line in -audio processing software like Audacity -a cable between the two above -a walkman or some sort of casette player(with line out) -a PC with a volume control for "line in" -some mp3 compression software
Saint
You know, the magnetic tape of cassette can't last long!
I plan to transform the songs from my old cassettes into digital form and record them onto CDR, how to do it?
What equipment and software do i need ?[?]

Computer science news on Phys.org
so, you'll need
a walkman, or some sort of casette player(with line out)
a PC sound card with line in
a cable between the two above
some audio processing software like Audacity (I suppose you're using Win)

You'll have to enable "line in" in Volume control and then start recording...

Well, almost everything. If you use the default sound recorder that comes with windows, it will record into .wav format. Each song will be around +/- 50 megs, and from there can be directly transferred to a normal audio cd.

If you wish to store these songs on your pc, you'd be well advised to compress them into mp3 format, or use some stream ripping software to directly record it into mp3.

This looks like a pretty nice shareware to do the job:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/194683.html [Broken]

I've got a nice program at home I use to record music off the digital music channels, but I can't remember it now, I'll let you know it later. It works the same way, except I use RCA's from the cable box output, plugged into a standard headphone adapter, which is plugged into the line in on my sound card.

If you use a walkman, and it only has the single jack for the headphones, make sure you keep the volume the same level. Don't turn it wide open, as it will make for a distorted sounding track. You'll have to expiriment with it to get it just right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recently d/l Audacity, it is a beta version and is currently free ware, it is very nice, can record up to about 3hrs of stereo and with the LAME encoder export as MP3. I like it and the more I use it the better it gets. I now have about 5Gb of CDs and tapes recorded (personal use, not shared!) I am seeking a turntable so I can start saving some of my old vinyl, many of my old records are simply not available on CD.

I went to Radio Shack and got a Stereo RCA to 1/8" Male jack cable, this to connect my tape player and sound card.

Hit the Audacity record button hit the play and away it goes. I did find that I cannot have my email open or do anything that causes my computer to beep or bing as it records. I had a recording of the Doors Indian Summer with a email chime in the middle of it!

What equipment do I need to record songs from cassette into CDR?

To record songs from cassette into CDR, you will need a cassette player, a CDR recorder, and an audio cable to connect the two devices.

How do I connect the cassette player and CDR recorder?

You can connect the two devices by using an audio cable with RCA connectors. Simply plug one end into the headphone or line-out jack on the cassette player, and the other end into the line-in jack on the CDR recorder.

Do I need any special software to record songs from cassette into CDR?

Yes, you will need a CD burning software program on your computer to transfer the recorded songs from the CDR recorder onto a blank CD. There are many free and paid options available for download.

What settings should I use on my CDR recorder for the best quality recording?

The optimal settings for recording songs from cassette into CDR may vary depending on your specific equipment. However, in general, it is recommended to use a recording speed of 1x, a recording mode of "Track At Once", and to adjust the recording levels to avoid distortion.

Can I edit or enhance the recorded songs on my computer?

Yes, once the songs have been transferred onto your computer, you can use audio editing software to enhance or edit the recordings. This can include adjusting the volume levels, removing background noise, or adding special effects.