How do i use mathmatical symbols

• Thread starter professor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, the conversation discusses how to use Greek letters, square roots, and other symbols in forums. It suggests learning how to use LaTeX symbols and provides a list of commonly used text symbols. It also mentions using the Character Map in Windows to find and use symbols. Finally, it gives an example of using the \sum and \idotsint commands to create a mathematical expression.
professor
not necessarily homework...but i don't know where to put it... how do i use greek letters/square roots...etc in the forums

Physics news on Phys.org
This should help :smile:

You can learn how to make the LaTeX symbols (clicking on an image will show you the text you need to use)

Also, many text symbols can be made:

& radic ; = √
& rarr ; = →
& alpha ; = α
& Psi ; = Ψ
& infin ; = ∞

Not to mention anything you can look up in the Character Map in windows (provided you're looking at the right font)

For example, a degree symbol (°) can be made by typing ALT-0176. (You must use the numeric pad, and hold alt throughout the entire sequence)

Last edited:
[tex] S = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{i^n}{n!} \idotsint \ {d^4x_1}\ {d^4x_2}
\dots \ d^4x_n \ T (H_I(x_1) \ H_I(x_2) \dots \ H_I(x_n) )
[/tex]

Last edited:
You can copy and paste from here.

1. What are the basic mathematical symbols and their meanings?

The basic mathematical symbols include addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (* or ×), division (/ or ÷), and equal (=). Addition is used to combine two or more numbers, subtraction is used to find the difference between two numbers, multiplication is used to find the product of two numbers, division is used to find the quotient of two numbers, and equal is used to show that two quantities are the same.

2. How do I use mathematical symbols in equations and formulas?

To use mathematical symbols in equations and formulas, you can use a variety of tools such as a calculator, computer software, or even by hand. You can also use symbols like parentheses, brackets, and exponents to create more complex equations.

3. What is the order of operations when using mathematical symbols?

The order of operations when using mathematical symbols is known as PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This means that you should solve operations within parentheses first, then exponents, then multiplication and division (from left to right), and finally addition and subtraction (from left to right).

4. How do I use mathematical symbols to solve word problems?

To use mathematical symbols to solve word problems, you first need to identify the key words and phrases that indicate mathematical operations, such as "sum," "difference," "product," or "ratio." Then, you can use the appropriate symbols to represent these operations in an equation or formula. It is also important to double check the problem to make sure you are using the correct symbols and order of operations.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical symbols?

One common mistake to avoid when using mathematical symbols is not following the order of operations. It is important to solve operations within parentheses first and then follow the PEMDAS rule. Another mistake is using the wrong symbol, such as using a plus sign instead of a minus sign. It is also important to pay attention to details, such as decimal points and negative signs, to avoid errors in calculations.