Index of Refraction: Most Dynamic Substance

• Thread starter Erkenbrand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamic
In summary, the conversation discussed the substance that undergoes the greatest change in density when heated or cooled, resulting in a significant change in its index of refraction. Some examples of such substances include hot water-softened plastic, gelatin dissolved in hot water, piezo crystals under pressure, and cooked egg whites. It was also mentioned that polymers are generally considered to be Thermo-optic materials with a high refractive index change, but they are more birefringent compared to glass.
Erkenbrand
Well, once again, I ask something about index of refraction.
What is the substance that suffers the greatest change in density when heated/cooled (so that by heating it up only a few degrees its index of refraction will change, even if just by a tiny bit)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have some plastic at home for modelling things. It becomes extremely pliant in hot water (below boiling), so I expect that its I of R changes significantly. Mine isn't transparent, though, so I can't test it. Gelatin dissolved in hot water changes as it cools. Since the electronic structure of piezo crystals changes under pressure, perhaps it their I of R does too. Egg white definitely becomes opaque as you cook it, so other protein structures should as well. Maybe grab a cornea from a dissected frog and give it a shot.

By the way, though... it gets a little confusing having parallel threads on essentially the same topic. It will be easier for all concerned if you integrate them.

Last edited:
Materials that exhibit a large refractive index change with temperature are generally termed Thermo-optic materials. Polymers in general, have the highest refractive index change with temperature, however they are highly birefringent compared to glass.

Claude.

Thanks guys!

What is the index of refraction and why is it important in science?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much light is bent when it passes through a substance. It is important in science because it can help determine the optical properties of a material and how it interacts with light.

What is the most dynamic substance in terms of index of refraction?

The most dynamic substance in terms of index of refraction is diamond, with a value of 2.42. This means that light bends significantly when passing through diamond, making it a highly refractive substance.

How is the index of refraction measured?

The index of refraction is typically measured using a device called a refractometer. This instrument measures the angle of light as it passes through a substance and can calculate the index of refraction based on this angle.

How does temperature affect the index of refraction?

In general, as temperature increases, the index of refraction of a substance decreases. This is due to the expansion of the material, which causes the molecules to be less tightly packed and therefore less likely to bend light as much.

What are some real-world applications of the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is used in a variety of industries, including optics, electronics, and materials science. It is also used in the design and manufacturing of lenses, prisms, and other optical devices. Additionally, it is used in the study of atmospheric and oceanic sciences to understand the behavior of light in these environments.