Determining Mass of Holder w/ Period Squared Graph

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the mass of a holder and spring using a "Period Squared vs. Mass Added" graph in a Physics Lab. The equation T^2 = (4\pi^2/k)(m_{added} + m_{holder}) is used, but there is confusion about the y-intercept and the negative x-intercept. The use of a program called Curve Expert is suggested to calculate the error in the spring constant and determine the mass of the spring.
erik-the-red
Determining the mass of a holder through a "Period Squared vs. Mass Added" graph?

This question is for Physics Lab.

The second part of the lab dealt with simple harmonic motion. We weighed a mass holder with spring attached using a pan balance. We then added .2 kg and increased the weight to this spring and used a smart timer to time the period.

Apparently, I'm supposed to be able to confirm the mass of the holder and spring by using the graph of "Period Squared vs. Mass Added."

Why would the y-intercept give the mass of the holder? That doesn't make sense to me.

I'm supposed to perform a sample calculation using the equation [tex]T^2 = (4\pi^2/k)(m_{added} + m_{holder})[/tex]. However, if I calculate the period using the equation [tex]T = 2\pi\sqrt(M/k)[/tex], the answer is not at all similar to what I measured. If I use the value of period squared based on the experiment, then I get a negative answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
erik-the-red said:
Why would the y-intercept give the mass of the holder? That doesn't make sense to me.

Hint: [itex]T^2 = (4\pi^2/k)(m_{added} + m_{holder})[/itex] is a linear equation of the form y = mx + b. Multiply it out.

Thanks. The equation fits in with the graph in terms of axes.

Then, what does the negative value of x-intercept means?

Hummm... It means the x intercept is negative!

Perhaps you could provide a bit more information.

Does your question have anything to do with the thread you posted in?

How could one get the error in mass here?

I have my T[tex]^{2}[/tex] formula matched up to y=ax+b.
A program Curve Expert will give me values for the coefficients a and b.
I am finding the standard deviation using Curve Expert and thus will get the error in spring constant k. (as a=4pi^2/k) This should carry through when calculating the mass of the spring in b?

What is the purpose of determining the mass of a holder with a period squared graph?

The purpose of determining the mass of a holder with a period squared graph is to accurately measure the mass of an unknown object. This method utilizes the relationship between the mass of an object and its period of oscillation to calculate the mass of the object.

What materials are needed to perform this experiment?

To perform this experiment, you will need a holder or clamp, a string, a stopwatch or timer, and a known mass to use as a reference. Additionally, you will need a graph paper or a computer program to plot the period squared graph.

How do I calculate the mass of the object using the period squared graph?

To calculate the mass of the object, you will need to plot the period squared graph using the known mass as a reference. Then, using the equation T^2 = 4π^2(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant, you can solve for the mass of the unknown object.

What are some sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include variations in the string length, air resistance, and human error in timing the oscillations. Additionally, inaccuracies in the measuring instruments or the known mass used can also affect the results.

Can this method be used for any type of object?

No, this method is specifically designed for objects that can oscillate or swing back and forth, such as a pendulum or a spring. It may not be suitable for determining the mass of objects that do not exhibit periodic motion.