Why Might the Efficiency of a Stirling Engine Differ from a Carnot Engine?

In summary: So it is due to the irreversible nature of the Stirling engine that its efficiency is lower than that of an ideal Carnot engine. In summary, the efficiency of an ideal Stirling engine is lower than that of an ideal Carnot engine due to the irreversible nature of the Stirling engine. While the efficiency equations for both engines are the same, the Stirling engine involves two isochoric processes which result in a non-zero entropy change, making it less efficient than the Carnot engine which operates at constant thermodynamic equilibrium.
Psi-String
Halliday says that the efficiency of an ideal Stirling engine is lower than that of a ideal Carnot engine?? But why??

It seems to me that there efficiency are both [tex] \epsilon =1-\frac{T_L}{T_H} [/tex]

Though Halldiay also say that this equation do not apply to Stirning engine but only to Carnot

Though Stirling engine involves two isochoric process, so unlike carnot which the two isothermal process are connected by adiabatic process, the entropy do change between the two temperature in the Stirling Cycle.

But from [tex] \Delta S = nR ln \frac{V_f}{V_i} + nC_V ln \frac{T_f}{T_i} [/tex]

we can know that the entropy change in the two isochoric process of Stirling cycle canceled out. and still

[tex] \frac{|Q_H|}{T_H} = \frac{|Q_L}{T_H} [/tex] just like Carnot Cycle

So I think efficiency [tex] \epsilon=1-\frac{T_L}{T_H} [/tex] can apply to Stirling

Am I wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Psi-String said:
Halliday says that the efficiency of an ideal Stirling engine is lower than that of a ideal Carnot engine?? But why??

It seems to me that there efficiency are both [tex] \epsilon =1-\frac{T_L}{T_H} [/tex]

Though Halldiay also say that this equation do not apply to Stirning engine but only to Carnot

Though Stirling engine involves two isochoric process, so unlike carnot which the two isothermal process are connected by adiabatic process, the entropy do change between the two temperature in the Stirling Cycle.

But from [tex] \Delta S = nR ln \frac{V_f}{V_i} + nC_V ln \frac{T_f}{T_i} [/tex]

we can know that the entropy change in the two isochoric process of Stirling cycle canceled out. and still

[tex] \frac{|Q_H|}{T_H} = \frac{|Q_L}{T_H} [/tex] just like Carnot Cycle

So I think efficiency [tex] \epsilon=1-\frac{T_L}{T_H} [/tex] can apply to Stirling

Am I wrong??
Yes. The efficiency of a Carnot engine is [itex] \epsilon=1-\frac{T_L}{T_H} [/itex] because [itex]\Delta S = 0[/itex]

Efficiency is work/heat flow: [itex]\eta = W/Q_h[/itex].
Because W = Qh - Qc [itex]\eta = 1 - Q_c/Q_h[/itex]

Since the heat flow into the Carnot engine is isothermal: [itex]\int dS = \int dQ/T = Q_h/T_h[/itex] and for the heat flow out: [itex]\int dS = Q_c/T_c[/itex]. If the change in entropy is 0:

[tex]Q_c/T_c = Q_h/T_h[/tex] or [tex]Q_c/Q_h = T_c/T_h[/tex]

If [itex]\Delta S \ne 0[/itex] then you cannot equate Tc/Th to Qc/Qh.

AM

Last edited:
But isn't [tex]\Delta S=0 [/tex] for Stirling cycle?
Stirling engine is a closed path, doesn't that also imply that the entropy change in one stirling cycle is also zero??

Last edited:
Psi-String said:
But isn't [tex]\Delta S=0 [/tex] for Stirling cycle?
Stirling engine is a closed path, doesn't that also imply that the entropy change in one stirling cycle is also zero??
No. The Stirling engine is a real engine. If you store the work output you cannot run the cylcle in reverse to get back to the original conditions without adding more work than it produced on the forward cycle. Since it is not reversible, [itex]\Delta S \ne 0[/itex]

The Carnot is reversible. It operates at constant thermodynamic equilibirum using infinitessimal temperature differerences and slow adiabatic compressions and expansions. If you store the work output, you can use that work to reverse the cycle by an infinitessimal change in conditions.

AM

I see. thanks

1. What is the difference between a Carnot engine and a Stirling engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical engine that operates using a reversible thermodynamic cycle, while a Stirling engine is a practical engine that operates on the Stirling cycle.

2. How do Carnot and Stirling engines work?

Carnot engines work by using a heat source to produce work, while Stirling engines use a temperature difference to drive a piston and produce work.

3. What are the advantages of using a Stirling engine?

Stirling engines have the advantage of being more efficient than traditional engines, as they can operate at a wider range of temperatures and do not require combustion.

4. Can Carnot and Stirling engines be used for practical applications?

While Carnot engines are purely theoretical, Stirling engines have been used in practical applications such as electricity generation, heat pumps, and even some vehicles.

5. What are the main limitations of Carnot and Stirling engines?

The main limitation of Carnot engines is that they are not possible to build in reality, while Stirling engines have limitations in terms of power output and cost-effectiveness compared to other types of engines.