Save a Blade Razor sharpener

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Save A Blade incorporates a precision Silicone Carbide sharpening member that sharpens multi-blade cartridges and disposable razors in seconds.The secret is our patented Micro-Honing technology that sweeps across the blade at up to 3,000 revolutions per minute to sharpen and renew your blade in one simple step!https://www.saveabladesale.com/Default.aspx?mid=500453Isn't it easier to just put it under a pyramid?Back when I started to shave my legs, there was no such thing as disposable shavers. We did hone the blades, and they lasted a long time. You can sharpen pretty much any blade, if your so inclined.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Save A Blade incorporates a precision Silicone Carbide sharpening member that sharpens multi-blade cartridges and disposable razors in seconds.

The secret is our patented Micro-Honing technology that sweeps across the blade at up to 3,000 revolutions per minute to sharpen and renew your blade in one simple step!
https://www.saveabladesale.com/Default.aspx?mid=500453

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it easier to just put it under a pyramid?

Back when I started to shave my legs, there was no such thing as disposable shavers. We did hone the blades, and they lasted a long time. You can sharpen pretty much any blade, if your so inclined. I don't see why this product would not work just fine.
As the cost of goods reaches sky high, I can bet we see more products like this.

I have no reason to not believe this would work. Honing is what sharpens blades, gets all of those nicks out.

This looks like a good product, but what about the aloe strips.. Normally they go bad before the blades do, then it pulls the skin.

Resharpen Reuse Reshave.

I like it.

We are way too much of a throw away society.

It's in the "Scepticism & Debunking" thread - you have to make comments like that.
If your razor has been sabotaged by being used on the legs of the lady in your life and then put back in place as a deliberate attempt to maim you ( it happens - I think they like the Harrison Ford chin scar and trying to spread it around)
Then just running it the backward (ie not cutting) up your jeans will remove any nicks in the blade.

mgb_phys said:
It's in the "Scepticism & Debunking" thread - you have to make comments like that.
If your razor has been sabotaged by being used on the legs of the lady in your life and then put back in place as a deliberate attempt to maim you ( it happens - I think they like the Harrison Ford chin scar and trying to spread it around)
Then just running it the backward (ie not cutting) up your jeans will remove any nicks in the blade.

Everyone should just grow beards anyway, its better for the environment.

K.J.Healey said:
Everyone should just grow beards anyway, its better for the environment.

Hmm, I say nah to that idea. Beards=not pretty :biggrin: and they itch too, haha.

I just visited the sales website to do a quick cost/benefit comparison... Lots of warning signs that this is not a trustworthy business:
1. Full selling price is not listed, only a price "after mail-in rebate". ($14.99 + S&H)
2. Shipping and handling cost is not specified.
3. No mention of or links to additional information (company contact, shipping costs, warranty, etc.)

If you want to spend time sharpening a blade, why would you buy disposable razors?

Though, when I saw the thread title/product name, it sounded like an SNL skit to me. :rofl:

Well, to be fair, I don't think a safety razor is made that isn't disposable.

I wonder most about how well it works. With the price of blades, which is ridiculous, this may be worth the money.

I saw that they are now making razors with 5 blades. SNL once did a skit that predicted this. The pseudocommercial ended by asking why they would make a five-blade razor. Answer: Because you will believe anything!

...the first blade pulls and stretches the hair, the next one stretches it even farther, the next blade, even farther...

Last edited:
After actually watching the full ad, I should point out two things. One, it's not sharpening, it's honing the blade. Sharpening means grinding it back to a new edge to remove imperfections (i.e., nicks) and removes some of the material. There's not a lot exposed to be removed in the first place. What this is doing is honing, which will straighten out slight bends at the end of the blade; that's not going to get rid of nicks in the blade.

The other thing that's apparent as you watch the demo is that it only hones one side of the blade (it can't get inside the razor to get the other side). Anyone who's honed a knife edge knows you hone both sides of the blade to restore the edge. It seems it wouldn't do anything that mgb_phys' suggestion wouldn't do.

For those of us who want to be "green", I prefer a rechargeable Norelco shaver - they last a really long time. Next step down would be buying the humongous bag of disposable BIC shavers. They are very thin and light-weight and work just as well as the expensive ones where you get a metal handle and end up buying lots of heads.

As Moonie pointed out, when you hone only one side of an edge, you end up with an edge that is curled away from the stone, and that blade is not going to cut as designed. I used to own a hand-cranked stropper that would sharpen razor blades, and that rig was designed to hit both sides of the edge alternately. It really did work.

Scissors are only sharpened from one side.

Electric razors don't work for me. It must be my incredibly manly disposition.

Ivan Seeking said:

Have you ever cut anything well using one side of a scissor? :wink:

Ivan Seeking said:

Electric razors don't work for me. It must be my incredibly manly disposition.
Ah, you need to look for the eclectic razors.

The reason that scissors are only sharpened from one side is that the hollow-cut surfaces (in good scissors, usually) needs to be maintained as-is and not tinkered with, and the friction of one edge rubbing against the other re-aligns the edges, so that if you create a turned edge during sharpening, they are straightened during use.

Responding to Moonbear: Actually, each blade of a scissor is an effective knife.

turbo-1 said:
Ah, you need to look for the eclectic razors.

The reason that scissors are only sharpened from one side is that the hollow-cut surfaces (in good scissors, usually) needs to be maintained as-is and not tinkered with, and the friction of one edge rubbing against the other re-aligns the edges, so that if you create a turned edge during sharpening, they are straightened during use.

I'm not sure that is correct, Turbo. Many eons ago I had a job that included sharpening scissors, and after sharpening, the blade was true and clean without any actuation... One difference that comes to mind is that the stone moved into the edge, and not away from it. I guess another big difference is that the scissor are very stiff, whereas the razor blades will likely flex.

The angle was hypercritical as well.

Last edited:
One of the reasons that I mentioned scissors is that I was always a bit perplexed by the fact that the scissor sharpener didn't leave a curled edge.

Well, I've never even had surgical scissors that cut with razor precision as just a single blade.

Ivan Seeking said:
The angle was hypercritical as well.

When you have a single blade razor vs 2, 3, 4 blade razors, does the angle of the razor edge change to account for the spacing of the blades or size of the head?

Anyway, I don't know. It might get you a few more uses out of a blade, but when folks are talking about nicks in blades and such, it's not going to help with those. And in a blade as thin and soft as a disposable razor blade, I would think it's the nicks that are more of a problem in limiting the life of the blade (I could be wrong).

You may be right, Ivan. My wife cut lots of shoe materials for years (mostly supplanted by die-cutting these days) and she used to bring her scissors home for me to sharpen instead of letting the machinists do it. I would clamp each blade in a small vise and use a thin diamond impregnated hone to sharpen them (stroking from the outside of the blade to the inside, where the edges meet). After sharpening, there was a bit more friction between the blades (when cutting nothing), but that eased up quickly and her shears cut well and the sharpening job lasted longer than if the machinists had done it. They had to pay for their own tools, and she was pretty ticked off when her shears and snips came back from the machinists cutting no better than they had when she turned them in.

I must be doing something wrong. Whenever I shave, I wash my face afterwards and towel it dry, then go do whatever. At no point does a woman start touching my face while I look at the camera like I'm going to get some tonight.

I think the SNL spot you're referring to was from 1975 and it was for a 3 blade razor (The Triple Trac) The slogan was: The Triple-Trac. Because you'll believe anything.

Ivan Seeking said:
Well, to be fair, I don't think a safety razor is made that isn't disposable.

I wonder most about how well it works. With the price of blades, which is ridiculous, this may be worth the money.

I saw that they are now making razors with 5 blades. SNL once did a skit that predicted this. The pseudocommercial ended by asking why they would make a five-blade razor. Answer: Because you will believe anything!

...the first blade pulls and stretches the hair, the next one stretches it even farther, the next blade, even farther...

WarPhalange said:
I must be doing something wrong. Whenever I shave, I wash my face afterwards and towel it dry, then go do whatever. At no point does a woman start touching my face while I look at the camera like I'm going to get some tonight.
All right, you owe me a new keyboard! :grumpy:

Ivan Seeking said:

I used a 3-blade razor for years (Gilette Mach 3) until I lost mine on a trip, so I went to a local store and bought the latest version, the Gilette Fusion with 5 blades. I don't know if it *shaves* better, but it *feels* much better. It slides very smoothly over the skin, much more so than the 3 blade razor. It was so much nicer, that I decided to keep with this one. Is it because the blade holder is bigger or better designed, I don't know. But there is an objective difference in the smoothness by which you can shave yourself.

vanesch said:
I used a 3-blade razor for years (Gilette Mach 3) until I lost mine on a trip, so I went to a local store and bought the latest version, the Gilette Fusion with 5 blades. I don't know if it *shaves* better, but it *feels* much better. It slides very smoothly over the skin, much more so than the 3 blade razor. It was so much nicer, that I decided to keep with this one. Is it because the blade holder is bigger or better designed, I don't know. But there is an objective difference in the smoothness by which you can shave yourself.

Ah, well this explains it, but it sounds like things get a little rough after five blades.

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo said:
For those of us who want to be "green", I prefer a rechargeable Norelco shaver - they last a really long time. Next step down would be buying the humongous bag of disposable BIC shavers. They are very thin and light-weight and work just as well as the expensive ones where you get a metal handle and end up buying lots of heads.

As Moonie pointed out, when you hone only one side of an edge, you end up with an edge that is curled away from the stone, and that blade is not going to cut as designed. I used to own a hand-cranked stropper that would sharpen razor blades, and that rig was designed to hit both sides of the edge alternately. It really did work.

I take it you have never actually used a Bic, certainly not in living memory...

WarPhalange said:

You're holding it backwards.

1. How does the Save a Blade Razor sharpener work?

The Save a Blade Razor sharpener works by using a patented technology to sharpen and realign the blades of your razor. It gently removes microscopic debris and imperfections on the blade's edge, restoring it to its original sharpness.

2. Can the Save a Blade Razor sharpener work on all types of razors?

Yes, the Save a Blade Razor sharpener is designed to work on all types of razors including cartridge, disposable, and even electric razors.

3. How often should I use the Save a Blade Razor sharpener?

We recommend using the Save a Blade Razor sharpener every 10-14 days to maintain sharpness and extend the life of your razor. However, this can vary depending on how often you shave and the type of razor you use.

4. Is the Save a Blade Razor sharpener easy to use?

Yes, the Save a Blade Razor sharpener is very easy to use. Simply run your razor through the device a few times, following the instructions provided, and your razor will be sharpened and ready to use again.

5. How long will the Save a Blade Razor sharpener last?

The Save a Blade Razor sharpener is made with durable materials and can last for years with proper care. It also comes with a lifetime guarantee, so you can be confident in its longevity.