Delivering a package by air

• Thread starter 05holtel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary: Sorry about the other reply, I think i must have put in the wrong number.Can you please help me set up the problem correctly?In summary, the conversation discusses a relief airplane delivering a food package to stranded people on a small island. The package is dropped from the airplane and the discussion includes calculating the time it takes to reach sea level, the optimal horizontal distance from the airplane to the island for the package to land, and the speed of the package when it hits the ground. Equations and attempts at solving are also provided.
05holtel

Homework Statement

A relief airplane is delivering a food package to a group of people stranded on a very small island. The island is too small for the plane to land on, and the only way to deliver the package is by dropping it. The airplane flies horizontally with constant speed of 290 mph at an altitude of 850 m. For all parts, assume that the "island" refers to the point at a distance D from the point at which the package is released, as shown in the figure. Ignore the height of this point above sea level. Assume that the acceleration due to gravity is g = 9.80 m/s^2.

a) After a package is ejected from the plane, how long will it take for it to reach sea level from the time it is ejected? Assume that the package, like the plane, has an initial velocity of 290 mph in the horizontal direction.

b)If the package is to land right on the island, at what horizontal distance D from the plane to the island should the package be released?

c)What is the speed v_f of the package when it hits the ground in mph
Equations

x1=x0 + v0x(t1-t0)
y1= y0 + v0y(t1-t0) -0.5(g)(t1-t0)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a)13.1s
b)1710m
c) I am not sure how to do c. At first i thought speed would be 0 when it hits the ground, but i am told that is incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
05holtel said:
The airplane flies horizontally with constant speed of 290 mph at an altitude of 850 m. For all parts, assume that the "island" refers to the point at a distance D from the point at which the package is released, as shown in the figure. Ignore the height of this point above sea level. Assume that the acceleration due to gravity is g = 9.80 m/s^2.

c)What is the speed v_f of the package when it hits the ground in mph
Equations

I am not sure how to do c. At first i thought speed would be 0 when it hits the ground, but i am told that is incorrect

Hi 05holtel! :smile:

Hint: vf² = vhorizontal² + vvertical²

vf² = vhorizontal² + vvertical²

Does that mean
Vf^2 = 290mph^2 +0mph^2
Vf = Square root of (290^2)
Vf=290mph

05holtel said:
vf² = vhorizontal² + vvertical²

Does that mean
Vf^2 = 290mph^2 +0mph^2
Vf = Square root of (290^2)
Vf=290mph

erm … vvertical = 0 when it leaves the plane.

use the usual formula to find vvertical 13.1s later. :smile:

So does that mean:
Vfy=Viy-g(Delta t)
Vfy=0-4.38(13.1) ***9.8m/s = 4.38mph
Vfy=751.65mph

Vfx=0mph

Therefore, Vf = 751.65
Is that right?

05holtel said:
So does that mean:
Vfy=Viy-g(Delta t)
Vfy=0-4.38(13.1) ***9.8m/s = 4.38mph
Vfy=751.65mph

Vfx=0mph

Therefore, Vf = 751.65
Is that right?

No, Vfx= 290mph.

Vfy=Viy-g(∆t) is right.

But your g is wrong.

g is not 9.8m/s … it's 9.8m/s² … you need to convert it to miles/s².

So does that mean:

9.8m/s^2 = 0.006 089 mile/s^2

Vfy=290mph-0.006089mile/s^2(13.1s)
Vfy=290mph-0.7976m/s
Vfy=290mph-1.178mph
=288.8mph

05holtel said:
So does that mean:

9.8m/s^2 = 0.006 089 mile/s^2

Yes. :smile:
Vfy=290mph-0.7976m/s
Vfy=290mph-1.178mph
=288.8mph

i] 290 is Vfx.

ii] it's 0.07976m/s

iii] where did 1.178 come from? :confused:

OOPs

Vfy=290mph-0.7976mile/s
Vfy=290mph-2871.36mph
=?

That doesn't make any sense. Am I converting it wrong

1. How does delivering a package by air work?

Delivering a package by air involves transporting the package from one location to another via an aircraft. The package is loaded onto the aircraft and then flown to its destination. Once it arrives, it is unloaded and delivered to the recipient.

2. What are the benefits of delivering a package by air?

Delivering a package by air is faster and more efficient than other modes of transportation. It also allows for packages to be delivered to remote locations that may not be accessible by road or sea. Additionally, air delivery can be more cost-effective for urgent or time-sensitive packages.

3. How is the safety of packages ensured during air delivery?

Air delivery companies have strict safety protocols in place to ensure the safe transportation of packages. This includes proper packaging and handling of the packages, as well as security measures to prevent theft or damage during transit.

4. Are there any restrictions on what can be delivered by air?

Yes, there are restrictions on what can be delivered by air. Dangerous or hazardous materials, such as explosives or flammable items, are not allowed to be transported by air. There may also be restrictions on the size and weight of packages that can be delivered by certain types of aircraft.

5. How does weather affect the delivery of packages by air?

Weather conditions can have a significant impact on the delivery of packages by air. In cases of severe weather, such as storms or heavy fog, flights may be delayed or canceled, resulting in a delay in package delivery. Air delivery companies closely monitor weather conditions and may adjust their schedules accordingly to ensure the safety of their flights.