Derivatives of trig functions and isosceles triangles.

In summary, the base of an isosceles triangle is 20 cm and the altitude is increasing at a rate of 1 cm/min. When the area is 100 cm2, the base angle is increasing at a rate of 0.077 radians per minute or 4.6 radians per second. However, there may be an error in the calculation of the altitude as it is still equal to 10 cm.
lamerali
The base of an isosceles triangle is 20 cm and the altitude is increasing at the rate of 1 cm/min. At what rate is the base angle increasing when the area is 100 cm2?

I wasnt really sure where to start on this question so i tried my best at an answer. I'm sure I've gone wrong with this question so i appreciate any guidance.

the isosceles triangle divides into two right triangles with bases of 10 cm and areas 50 cm2

tan[tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{h}{10}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] sec[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{10}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{10}[/tex]. cos [tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex]

A = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] b x h

50 = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] (10) . h
h = 10

tan [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{10}{10}[/tex]
tan [tex]\theta[/tex] = 1

we know,

sin[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] + cos[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] = 1

(cos[tex]\theta[/tex] tan [tex]\theta[/tex]) [tex]^{2}[/tex] + cos [tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] = 1

2 cos[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] = 1
cos[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{10}[/tex] . cos[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{10}[/tex] . cos[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
= 0.077 rads / min

or 4.6 rads /s

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
lamerali said:
The base of an isosceles triangle is 20 cm and the altitude is increasing at the rate of 1 cm/min. At what rate is the base angle increasing when the area is 100 cm2?

I wasnt really sure where to start on this question so i tried my best at an answer. I'm sure I've gone wrong with this question so i appreciate any guidance.

the isosceles triangle divides into two right triangles with bases of 10 cm and areas 50 cm2

tan[tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{h}{10}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] sec[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{10}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{10}[/tex]. cos [tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex]

A = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] b x h

50 = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] (10) . h
h = 10
Here's your error. "when the area is 100 cm2" refers to the original isosceles triangle and that had base 20, not 10.

tan [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{10}{10}[/tex]
tan [tex]\theta[/tex] = 1

we know,

sin[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] + cos[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] = 1

(cos[tex]\theta[/tex] tan [tex]\theta[/tex]) [tex]^{2}[/tex] + cos [tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] = 1

2 cos[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] = 1
cos[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{10}[/tex] . cos[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{10}[/tex] . cos[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
= 0.077 rads / min

or 4.6 rads /s

Thanks in advance!

HallsofIvy said:
Here's your error. "when the area is 100 cm2" refers to the original isosceles triangle and that had base 20, not 10.

but if i plug in
A = (1/2) b x h

100 = (1/2) (20) h

h is still equal to 10 cm. Is that the only error you see? because that does not effect the rest of the equation...:S

is the rest of this equation anywhere near correct?? :(

1. What are the derivatives of trig functions?

The derivatives of trigonometric functions are the rates of change of these functions at a particular point. The derivatives of the six basic trigonometric functions are:

• Sine (sin): The derivative of sin(x) is cos(x).
  • Cosine (cos): The derivative of cos(x) is -sin(x).
  • Tangent (tan): The derivative of tan(x) is sec2(x).
  • Cotangent (cot): The derivative of cot(x) is -csc2(x).
  • Secant (sec): The derivative of sec(x) is sec(x)tan(x).
  • Cosecant (csc): The derivative of csc(x) is -csc(x)cot(x).

2. How do I find the derivative of a trig function?

To find the derivative of a trigonometric function, you can use the basic derivative rules, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Remember to also use the derivatives of the basic trigonometric functions mentioned above when applicable.

3. What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a triangle with two equal sides and two equal angles. The equal sides are called the legs, and the third side is called the base. The two equal angles are opposite the two equal sides.

4. What are the properties of an isosceles triangle?

The properties of an isosceles triangle include:

• The base angles (opposite the equal sides) are equal.
  • The angles opposite the two equal sides are equal.
  • The sum of the interior angles is 180 degrees.
  • The base angles are supplementary to the vertex angle (the angle opposite the base).
  • The median drawn from the vertex angle to the base is also the altitude and the angle bisector.

5. How do I find the derivative of an isosceles triangle?

The derivative of an isosceles triangle can be found by using the basic derivative rules and the properties of isosceles triangles. For example, if we have an isosceles triangle with base b and height h, the area A of the triangle can be expressed as A = (1/2)bh. To find the derivative of A with respect to the base b, we can use the power rule and the chain rule to get dA/db = (1/2)h. Similarly, we can find the derivative with respect to the height h as dA/dh = (1/2)b.