Potential difference to stop an electron question

In summary, an electron with an initial speed of 4.70×105m/s is brought to rest by an electric field. The potential difference that stopped the electron can be found using the equation ΔV = ½mv²/q, where q is the charge of the electron. This equation is derived from the concept of conservation of energy, where the kinetic energy of the electron is converted into work done by the electric field. The distance in which the electron is stopped is not relevant in finding the potential difference.
cwesto

Homework Statement

An electron with an initial speed of 4.70×105m/s is brought to rest by an electric field.
What was the potential difference that stopped the electron?

Unknown:
potential difference or [tex]\Delta[/tex]V

Known:
vo=initial speed
m=mass of electron
q=charge of electron

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]Vq+[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]*mv2=[tex]\Delta[/tex]Vq

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure basically plug and chug but my equation doesn't seem right. I sure it's not. Basically I don't know where to go from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Two questions. Are you sure this is the whole question? With these values, we could use almost any kind of electric field to stop the electron. Where'd you get that equation?

Well, I'll take a stab at helping out...

You need to stop a moving electron, right? Does that mean you will have an acceleration (or deceleration, same thing)?

If you have an acceleration, there's a force. And the force in this case is related to the electric field, right?

So you need an electric field such that it creates a force capable of stopping your electron.

If you can find the electric field, you *should* be able to relate the electric field to the potential energy, relate that to the electric potential, and then find a potential difference...

But then, I haven't worked a problem like this in awhile and I may not be solving it with the tools that you already have... Have you done line integrals and all that stuff yet?

Sonolum, if the given problem is the whole problem, even the smallest force is enough to stop the electron eventually. Why go for the trouble of using line integrals?

I don't really see them so much as trouble, myself... I was mostly trying to get a feel for the level of this problem and help out.

I also told the electron will move to a region of lower potential. I got the equation from a previous question that is simliar posted on PF last year. That's all I have. The link to the previous question is below.

(https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=234536)

Ah, see, in that problem we know how much distance we have to stop the electron. Here, we don't know that - do we have to stop the electron in a certain time? In a certain amount of distance?

Kruum's 100% right, I didn't realize it at first, but yeah, any electric field that opposes the electron's motion will *eventually* stop it. It kinda depends on where/when you want to stop it to get anything specific.

I think you need to understand that the kinetic energy is to be absorbed by work from some source. In this case measuring the work can best be done by observing that changing the voltage of a charge can be determined by:

W = q*ΔV and that would equal ½mv² in order to stop it.

Hence won't the needed ΔV = ½mv²/q ?

So in other words I need to know something else?

cwesto said:
So in other words I need to know something else?

Like what?

I dunno, Pion's method seems a heckuva lot more eloquent and to the point... But I pretty sure it's (Delta)V = - W/q...

Oh crap! I should read the question a bit more carefully! :blushing: Sorry for the confusion cwesto!

LowlyPion said:
Like what?
The distance in which they want the electron to stop.

Sonolum said:
I dunno, Pion's method seems a heckuva lot more eloquent and to the point... But I pretty sure it's (Delta)V = - W/q...

Happily q is (-) electron which makes the ΔV (-).

cwesto said:
The distance in which they want to electron to stop.

No distance required.

If the E-Field is 1000 V/m or 10 V/m the distance would change of course but not the ΔV required.

LowlyPion said:
I think you need to understand that the kinetic energy is to be absorbed by work from some source. In this case measuring the work can best be done by observing that changing the voltage of a charge can be determined by:

W = q*ΔV and that would equal ½mv² in order to stop it.

Hence won't the needed ΔV = ½mv²/q ?

Wouldn't "ΔV = ½mv²/q" give me ΔV while the speed is 4.70×105m/s?
I want to know the ΔV when the speed is 0.

I'll ask my professor then post. I have class now. Thanks though.

Ah, but see, that's why there was mention of changing the kinetic energy into work, right? The energy had to go*somewhere*, and the energies should be equivalent before and after, right?

Oh yeah!
ΔV = ½mv²/q
Your right. Thanks.

Awesome! Physics Rules!

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the energy per unit of charge required to move a charged particle from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference related to stopping an electron?

When an electron is moving in an electric field, it experiences a force due to the potential difference. This force causes the electron to accelerate and gain kinetic energy. When the potential difference is equal to the kinetic energy gained by the electron, the electron will stop moving and reach equilibrium.

3. How does potential difference affect the speed of an electron?

The greater the potential difference, the greater the force on the electron and the greater its acceleration. This results in the electron moving at a higher speed. As the potential difference decreases, the force and acceleration on the electron also decrease, causing its speed to decrease.

4. What is the unit for potential difference?

The unit for potential difference is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C). This is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI).

5. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the electric potential difference between two points. It typically consists of two probes that are connected to the two points in the electric field and a display that shows the measured potential difference in volts.