Help solving nonhomogeneous de

In summary, the person is asking for help with finding the particular solution for a non-homogeneous differential equation with initial conditions. They have tried the method of constant coefficients and variation of parameters, but have run into difficulties. They have been advised to include terms for all powers in the polynomial and to try y(x) = A(x+B)e^x. They thank the person for pointing out their mistake and express their frustration with differential equations.
xtipd
Hey guys just asking for a bit of help to get me on the right track.

I have the non homogeneous de 4y" + 4y' + y = 3*x*e^x, which also has some inital conditions y(0)=0 and y'(0)=0. but i only need help with getting the particular solution.

Tried method of constant coefficients and it didnt want to work for me.
I end up using: y(p) = A*t*e^t which doent seem right when i substitute in y'(p) and y"(p) into the original equaltion.

Tried method of variation of parameters and i don't think that worked either as in the end i got y(p) = 0.

So far i get the auxilary eq: r^2 + r + 1/4 = 0
=>(r + 1/2) = 0
thus r1 = r2 = -1/2
so y(h) = c1*e^-1/2*t + c2*t*e^-1/2*t

i just need help as to what method i would use to get a the particular solution y(p). from there its gravy :)

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
With respect to the method of constant coefficients: usually whenever there's a polynomial involved, you should include terms for all powers up to the order of the polynomial. In your case, you have y = (constant)*(polynomial)*(exponential), but you only included the linear term in your polynomial - you left out the constant term. Go back and try y(x) = A(x+B)e^x.

diazona said:
With respect to the method of constant coefficients: usually whenever there's a polynomial involved, you should include terms for all powers up to the order of the polynomial. In your case, you have y = (constant)*(polynomial)*(exponential), but you only included the linear term in your polynomial - you left out the constant term. Go back and try y(x) = A(x+B)e^x.

So obvious now you have pointed that out.

Im all over it like a bad rash now

Thanks heaps

:smile: I've made that mistake many times myself... ODEs can be annoyingly tricky.

What is a nonhomogeneous differential equation?

A nonhomogeneous differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves at least one function with a non-zero constant. This means that the equation is not equal to zero, unlike a homogeneous differential equation.

What are the steps for solving a nonhomogeneous differential equation?

The steps for solving a nonhomogeneous differential equation are:

1. Find the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation.
  2. Find a particular solution to the nonhomogeneous equation.
  3. Add the general solution to the particular solution to get the complete solution.

What is the method of undetermined coefficients for solving nonhomogeneous differential equations?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used to find a particular solution to a nonhomogeneous differential equation. It involves guessing a solution based on the form of the nonhomogeneous function and then solving for the coefficients.

What is the method of variation of parameters for solving nonhomogeneous differential equations?

The method of variation of parameters is another technique used to find a particular solution to a nonhomogeneous differential equation. It involves finding a solution in the form of a linear combination of the solutions to the corresponding homogeneous equation, with undetermined coefficients that are functions of the independent variable.

What are some real-life applications of nonhomogeneous differential equations?

Nonhomogeneous differential equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. Some examples include modeling population growth, analyzing electrical circuits, and predicting the behavior of chemical reactions.