Balancing equation - What is the chemical formula of cement?

In summary, the conversation discusses the composition of cement and the difficulty in determining a single balanced equation for it. The first part mentions that mixing limestone and clay together and heating it produces cement. The second part discusses the amount of limestone needed to react with a specific amount of clay. However, the speaker expresses uncertainty about the chemical formula for cement and the complexity of its composition. They provide a link for further information on the reactions involved in cement hardening. The conversation concludes with the speaker questioning the purpose of the initial question.
HOFBrINCl
There are 2 parts to this question:

1. If limestone (calcium carbonate) and clay (assume aluminum silicate) are mixed together and heated then the result is cement. Cement is a mixture of calcium oxide, carbon dioxide, aluminum oxide, and calcium silicate. These bags can be purchased at any building supplies store. Write a balanced equation.
2. If the factory has 100.0 kg of clay in its reaction vessel, then how much limestone will they need to exactly react with the clay to produce the cement?

Ok, so the first part is relatively simple, the only problem is I can not find what the chemical formula of cement is... there appear to be quite a few different formulas online. limestone is (CaCO3) and clay or aluminum silicate is (Al2SiO5). Once I find what cement is it will be easy to solve.

I'm a little uncertain about the next part too... ok, so I found out there are 162.05g/mol of Aluminum silicate, which would make 162,050mols of clay in the reaction vessel. So where can I go from here? thanks in advance people

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if it's correct, but in your post it's stated that cement is a mixture.

I will be brutally honest - this is a stupid question. Cement is a mixture of not precisely known composition, as different compositions are required for different applications. There are many reactions taking place and it is not possible to write ONE balanced reaction.

That said, some googling will lead you here:

http://matse1.mse.uiuc.edu/concrete/prin.html

and you will find some of the most important reactions taking part during cement hardening there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
I will be brutally honest - this is a stupid question. Cement is a mixture of not precisely known composition, as different compositions are required for different applications. There are many reactions taking place and it is not possible to write ONE balanced reaction.

That said, some googling will lead you here:

http://matse1.mse.uiuc.edu/concrete/prin.html

and you will find some of the most important reactions taking part during cement hardening there.

its a stupid question I know, why didn't my teacher just give me what they think the chemical formula for cement is? I think this question is a dead end

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the chemical formula of cement?

The chemical formula of cement is Ca3SiO5.

2. How is cement made?

Cement is made by heating a mixture of limestone and clay to a high temperature, then grinding it into a fine powder.

3. What role does water play in the chemical equation of cement?

Water is a key component in the chemical reaction that occurs in cement, known as hydration. It helps to activate the cement and bind it together to form a solid mass.

4. Can the chemical formula of cement vary?

Yes, the chemical formula of cement can vary slightly depending on the specific type of cement and the raw materials used in its production.

5. Is cement a pure substance or a mixture?

Cement is a mixture, as it is made up of various compounds and minerals such as calcium, silicon, aluminum, and iron.