Linear Algebra - Change of basis matrices and RREF question what in the world?

In summary, the conversation is about finding bases A' of P3 and B' of P2 such that the matrix A' of a linear transformation T, relative to A' and B', is the reduced row-echelon form for the given matrix A. The conversation includes equations and attempts at finding the correct solution, but there may have been an arithmetic error made in the process.
zeion
Linear Algebra - Change of basis matrices and RREF question what in the world??

Homework Statement

Suppose the linear transformation T: P3 -> P2, over R has the matrix

[tex]

A = \begin{bmatrix}1&2&0&0\\0&1&2&1\\1&1&1&1 \end{bmatrix}

[/tex]
relative to the standard bases of P3 and P2.

Find bases A' pf P3 and B' of P2 such that the matrix A' of T relative to A' and B' is the reduced row-echelon form for A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so the relation is:
[tex]
T_{B'A'} = I_{B'B}T_{BA}I_{AA'}
[/tex]

Where A is the standard basis for for P3 and B is the standard basis for P2.

I also have the relation:

R = VA, where R is the RREF of A and V is an invertible matrix that maps A to R.

If I take the basis A' of A to be equal to A, then
[tex]
I_{AA'} = _{4x4}
[/tex]

and [tex]
I_{B'B} = V
[/tex]

Then I form an augmented matrix to find V:

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}1&2&0&0&|&1&0&0\\0&1&2&1&|&0&1&0\\1&1&1&1&|&0&0&1\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

which row reduces to

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0&2/3&|&-1/3&2/3&4/3\\0&1&0&-1/3&|&2/3&-1/3&-2/3\\0&0&1&2/3&|&-1/3&1/3&1/3\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

Then V is the augmented part..
After this I will find the inverse of V, then find B'.. but it doesn't look right, and the final answer I got was wrong ~_~

Can someone confirm if this is correct track or if I made a mistake somewhere? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

It looks like you just made an arithmetic error. V12 and V22 have the wrong sign.

Okay this really angers me I tried redoing it so many times and still can't get the right answer. Matrix operations really makes me angry.

1. What is a change of basis matrix?

A change of basis matrix is a matrix that represents the transformation of a vector from one basis to another. It is used to convert coordinates from one coordinate system to another.

2. Why is a change of basis matrix important in linear algebra?

A change of basis matrix is important in linear algebra because it allows us to solve problems in different coordinate systems and simplifies calculations involving transformations.

3. How do you find the change of basis matrix?

The change of basis matrix can be found by setting up a system of equations using the basis vectors of the original and new coordinate systems and solving for the coefficients of the new basis vectors.

4. What is the reduced row echelon form (RREF) of a matrix?

The reduced row echelon form (RREF) of a matrix is the result of applying Gaussian elimination to the matrix, resulting in a unique, simplified form with leading 1's along the main diagonal and zeros in all other positions.

5. How can RREF be used in linear algebra?

RREF can be used in linear algebra to solve systems of linear equations, find the rank and nullity of a matrix, and to determine linear independence and spanning sets of vectors.