Human evolution: when male and female fully developed into separate and distinct ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of sexual differentiation and separation in animals, particularly in regards to the evolutionary process. It is suggested that sexual distinction arose at an early stage in mammalian history and that this differentiation goes beyond what we can imagine. The use of different terms for this process, such as sexual differentiation and sexual separation, is also mentioned. The study of amphibians is suggested as a way to learn more about this topic, as they are known to change gender based on their environment.
jackson6612
I'm finding it hard to describe what I mean, but here it goes. According to the evolution theory monkeys, apes among others, and humans have a common ancestor - their hereditary line of ascent leads to a common forefather(s). As evolution predicts, let's say, male nipples is a proof that human species is a product of evolution. Where did that male and female beings got separated - became fully developed into separate and distinct entities? What I'm trying to say is: there would be times when, perhaps, male being also had nipples which somewhat looked more like female mammary glands which would simply mean male hadn't become a full male yet, on the other side, maybe female vestigial organ looked more of a male sex organ. Also, before they fully developed how did they reproduce? Were they able to reproduce before the sex organs fully developed? What about all those enzymes, chemicals - without the proper chemicals sexual reproduction is impossible, at least that's what I can possibly think?

It's possible I'm thinking along the wrong lines. I'm not a biology student neither am I very knowledgeable about the evolutionary theory. So, please, try to keep your reply as simple as possible so that I and many others like me can understand what you say and appreciate your effort to the fullest. Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org

Were they able to reproduce before the sex organs fully developed?
Definitely. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here. Thus, whatever sex organs they had were fully functional then, whatever degree of similarity they might have with our own.

As for when sexual distinction arose, I'd hazard for an extremely early age in mammalian history, long before there were any apes, let alone humans, around.

I'll leave to others more qualified than me to answer some of your other questions

The sex differentiation of animals go far beyond you imagine on evolutionary line. Apes still have full sexual differentiation from their ancestral. Fishes already have full sexual separation.
If you study molecular evolution you will see that some proteins are very well the same in their folded forms from bacteria to humans.

Last edited:

Probably the best place to learn about this is through the study of amphibians which can and do change their gender according to environment. It is not the beginning of the story, but it's a good place to start.

nismaratwork said:
That sounds about right to me. Ugly little things aren't they? :p

i was always excited to find them on a piece of live rock in my old aquarium

Proton Soup said:
i was always excited to find them on a piece of live rock in my old aquarium

You had sea squirts in your aquarium? That's... actually pretty cool. Beats the hell out of brine shrimp in a bag!

nismaratwork said:
You had sea squirts in your aquarium? That's... actually pretty cool. Beats the hell out of brine shrimp in a bag!

i had those once, too. Sea Monkeys!

AlexB2010 said:
The sex differentiation of animals go far beyond you imagine on evolutionary line. Apes still have full sexual differentiation from their ancestral. Fishes already have full sexual separation.
If you study molecular evolution you will see that some proteins are very well the same in their folded forms from bacteria to humans.

I'm sorry for this off-topic question. I'm also an English learner, so it'd be nice if you could help with the language so that I can get the point.

I would have written: The sex differentiation of animals go far beyond you can imagine on the evolutionary line.Or, rather better: The sex differentiation of animals happened far long ago on the evolutionary line. Does my way match what you had in my mind?

Here, by apes , you mean monkeys, gorillas, etc? Yes, I have no doubt about it - there are a lot of male and female monkeys around! But I don't think this is what you exactly meant. You used two different words, 'sexual differentiation' and 'sexual separation', to refer to what appears the same feature to me. Did you do that on purpose, or, just for the sake of variety?

Thank you for all the help.

Not a biologist either, but I wonder if the OP's question isn't looking in the wrong direction: things like nipples and sex organs need not be completely separate sexual "parts". Thinking as someone who'se done a little computer programming, it strikes me that the genetic code could be simplified by making related functions or having certain parts of a program activated in different ways. Hence, you could differentiate male and female before nipples and breasts even evolve at all.

Just speculating though - I'm curious to know from a biologist how that actually works.

jackson6612 said:
I'm sorry for this off-topic question. I'm also an English learner, so it'd be nice if you could help with the language so that I can get the point.

I would have written: The sex differentiation of animals go far beyond you can imagine on the evolutionary line.Or, rather better: The sex differentiation of animals happened far long ago on the evolutionary line. Does my way match what you had in my mind?
Yours is better.

nismaratwork said:
Probably the best place to learn about this is through the study of amphibians which can and do change their gender according to environment. It is not the beginning of the story, but it's a good place to start.

Can you give me an example, please?

jackson6612 said:

Here, by apes , you mean monkeys, gorillas, etc? Yes, I have no doubt about it - there are a lot of male and female monkeys around! But I don't think this is what you exactly meant. You used two different words, 'sexual differentiation' and 'sexual separation', to refer to what appears the same feature to me. Did you do that on purpose, or, just for the sake of variety?

Thank you for all the help.

Unfortunately, I am Brazilian and English isn’t my native tongue, I am just struggling to be understood and trying to improve my English like you. Maybe a native speaker can correct me too.

russ_watters said:
Not a biologist either, but I wonder if the OP's question isn't looking in the wrong direction: things like nipples and sex organs need not be completely separate sexual "parts". Thinking as someone who'se done a little computer programming, it strikes me that the genetic code could be simplified by making related functions or having certain parts of a program activated in different ways. Hence, you could differentiate male and female before nipples and breasts even evolve at all.

Just speculating though - I'm curious to know from a biologist how that actually works.

Sex has a stronger selection factor than just sexual mechanics. The generation of genetic diversity is the reason sex separated individuals are so successful. Sex mechanics, or how individuals exchange genetic material is a know cause of speciation.

jackson6612 said:
Can you give me an example, please?

Of course, I'm sorry I should have done that in my original post. Here is one very odd example, where the frog in question has some funky chromosomes.

http://www.genetics.org/cgi/content/full/164/2/613

Here is a less rigorous, but broader bit to read: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Jumping+gender:+frogs+change+from+she+to+he.-a08784789

Jumping gender: Frogs change from she to he

Shrimp do it, orchids do it, even some tropical fish do it. Now biologists find that frogs do it, too--switch their sex, that is. A West German research team reports that females of two related frog species can become males without hormonal or surgical intervention. So complete is the transformation -- observed so far only in the laboratory -- that the newly male frogs breed successfully with members of their former sex.

Ulmar Grafe and Eduard Linsenmair detected the gender-bending while studying African reed frogs, Hyperolius viridiflavus ommatostictus, at the University of Wurzburg. The two were analyzing male life histories when a female began fighting with one of the males. "We were really excited, because that shouldn't happen -- females don't fight," says Grafe. In the days that followed, several females adopted the masculine mating stance, extending their forelegs forelegs

see forelimb.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

inherited thick forelegs
juvenile hyperostosis (inherited thick forelegs) of pigs. and emitting a low-pitched whistle.

During the next few months, seven adult females -- including six previously observed to lay eggs -- developed functioning testicular testicular /tes·tic·u·lar/ (tes-tik´u-lar) pertaining to a testis.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tes·tic·u·lar
adj.
Of or relating to a testicle or testis.

testicular

pertaining to the testis. nodulesNodules
A small mass of tissue in the form of a protuberance or a knot that is solid and can be detected by touch.

Mentioned in: Leprosy
... Click the link for more information. and aggressive behavior typical of male frogs, the researchers report in the current issue of COPEIA, released in January. Four of the seven "secondary males" copulated with females, fertilizing up to 70 percent of the eggs and generating normal offspring, the investigators say. Grafe and Linsenmair found that two females of a related species also changed sex in the laboratory terrariums.

and from the gov:

http://Newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bio99/bio99128.htm

Question: Why can frogs (some species) change sex?
Mike A Smola

Answer:
This is a complex subject. Several studies have exposed some of
the answers to this question, but a definitive answer is yet to be
made.

It all boils down to the level of which genes are activated.
Studies have shown that the sex chromosomes are not necessarily the
determining factor. The traditional display of a female is when
an individual has two X chromosomes present. When one of these
genes is a Y, it is a male. This tends to be the case for most
organisms that sport individuals that are different sexes.
However, the Y chromosomes has been almost always a male determining
chromosome, but with molecular biology and genetic engineering
techniques, a male can be made from a XX combination and females
have developed from XY combinations. These are extremely rare, but
they have given insight to the fact that there are other factors
beside X and Y chromosomes that determine sex, probably a gene
found in both chromosomes.

As far as frogs are concerned (and other organisms that display this
Phenomenon), apparently there are chemical triggers that respond to the
number of members in a population that will activate the gene(s)
that will allow for the disintegration of one set of sex organs and
the development of the other. This is an advantage to a species
whereby they have evolved the ability to assure their reproductive
success.
Steven D Sample

Some fish do this to an astonishing degree, where there are all females, save for one male. If the male dies, another female undergoes major morphological changes and rapidly grows, and becomes male!

It is also possible for different sexes to arise independently in different types of organisms. There are clearly male and female plants in some species. There are lizards that are essentially all female... So having differentiation of sexes can be thought of just like any other trait that might help, or sometimes not, in the continuing evolutionary success of a certain population of organisms. There are some protist species with about 13 different sexes I believe.

pgardn said:
It is also possible for different sexes to arise independently in different types of organisms. There are clearly male and female plants in some species. There are lizards that are essentially all female... So having differentiation of sexes can be thought of just like any other trait that might help, or sometimes not, in the continuing evolutionary success of a certain population of organisms. There are some protist species with about 13 different sexes I believe.

13 sexes, that must be one fun orgy, but the cleanup! Yuck. :)

nismaratwork said:
13 sexes, that must be one fun orgy, but the cleanup! Yuck. :)

Biology is a very messy science. Thats why most people who like a tidy world choose Physics:)

Last edited:

pgardn said:
There are some protist species with about 13 different sexes I believe.
You mean, several (discrete) types of individual, which can pair (binary coupling) and exchange genetic material readily (or at least far more readily than with individuals not classed as types of this species)? Not that several individuals, one from every type, all combine (each contributing less than half their individual genome) in the process of creating a complete offspring?

Last edited:

cesiumfrog said:
You mean, several (discrete) types of individual, which can pair (binary coupling) and exchange genetic material readily (or at least far more readily than with individuals not classed as types of this species)? Not that several individuals, one from every type, all combine (each contributing less than half their individual genome) in the process of creating a complete offspring?

I have not been at this for a while. But the rules for exchanging genetic material was quite complex and not at all worked out. At the time I looked at it they had assigned the protists mating types. The rules of which type exchanges with which type and how exchange was taking place was still being explored. They may have figured out more about this. Molecular genetics and such is absolutley exploding. Its mind boggling compared to what I learned. I am sure its somewhere out there in all its glory now explained in more detail. I just don't want to make my head hurt trying to understand it. So if you want to explain further about mating types v. true sexes (however that is defined now) be my guest.

The major point I was trying to bring is that sexual reproduction has advantages and disadvantages from an evolutionary point of view. So sexual reproduction, just like any other mechanism that is under selective pressure, has arisen independently more than once. And in some species sexual reproduction has "dissappeared". We tend to look at the world from our point of view, boy meets girl, and its just so much richer than this. I remember reading a Steven J. Gould article about the life of the male in a species of deep sea Angler Fish and feeling completely humbled, being a male myself. My wife has continued the humbling process...

pgardn said:
Biology is a very messy science. Thats why most people who like a tidy world choose Physics:)

That is a very keen observation, and one I am not prepared to refute. I myself, enjoy a wide variety of worlds to play in.

jackson6612 said:

I would have written: The sex differentiation of animals go far beyond you can imagine on the evolutionary line.Or, rather better: The sex differentiation of animals happened far long ago on the evolutionary line. Does my way match what you had in my mind?.

The sex differentiation of animals goes farther down the evolutionary line than you might have imagined.

On a related note, there was an article here on physorg a few months back about a breed of flower in north america, i think, that is in the process of evolving into a two-sex reproductive pattern, that is the mutation occurred at some point in the past but across the entire population, many of these flowers are still asexual. It was, supposedly, proof that not all animals inheretid sex from the same ancestor but that it could've arisen at different times among different species.

I would still agree, though, that our line acquired sex long before we crawled out of the sea.

SHAMSAEL said:
The sex differentiation of animals goes farther down the evolutionary line than you might have imagined.

On a related note, there was an article here on physorg a few months back about a breed of flower in north america, i think, that is in the process of evolving into a two-sex reproductive pattern, that is the mutation occurred at some point in the past but across the entire population, many of these flowers are still asexual. It was, supposedly, proof that not all animals inheretid sex from the same ancestor but that it could've arisen at different times among different species.

I would still agree, though, that our line acquired sex long before we crawled out of the sea.

Given how useful sexual reproduction seems to be, I find the possibility of parallel evolution of that trait believable. Not proven, but not absurd either. Asexual reproduction may well leave a species open to extinction, but a little mutation that nudges the species from asexual to some kind genetic swap-meet could save it. It makes sense that if this is the case, we find ourselves with the survivors, and asexual organisms will have to evolve or die as changes occur in their environment, and now at a high rate with the aid of humans.

Thank you very much, everybody. I will need some time to assimilate the information, and make some sense out of it because I'm not a biology student - just a stupid lazy person! Shamsael, thanks for better version of the sentence.

This is probably a horribly unfair accusation, but the whole issues sounds like the young Earth creationists Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron's canard that the first human male did not have a female to mate with, so therefore, evolution is false. This absurdity can be read on his "raycomfortfood" blogspot blog in the articles "the atheist and first dog" and "Evolution's explanation for male and female". I won't link to them, because the blog posts are, in my opinion, horribly cranky.

Mkorr said:
This is probably a horribly unfair accusation, but the whole issues sounds like the young Earth creationists Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron's canard that the first human male did not have a female to mate with, so therefore, evolution is false. This absurdity can be read on his "raycomfortfood" blogspot blog in the articles "the atheist and first dog" and "Evolution's explanation for male and female". I won't link to them, because the blog posts are, in my opinion, horribly cranky.

Huh? Who are you accusing, and where do you get the notion that any of this is anything but support for evolutionary theory? I'm completely baffled here.

Is Mkorr accusing me of being a young creationist?

Proton Soup said:
I would have said plants invented preproduction through sexual separation? What ever the original source, I believe the evolutionary motivation is that spreading genes around between organisms of the same species provides an evolutionary advantage over asexual reproduction.

Last edited by a moderator:

mheslep said:
I would have said plants invented preproduction through sexual separation? What ever the original source, I believe the evolutionary motivation is that spreading genes around between organisms of the same species provides an evolutionary advantage over asexual reproduction.

Assuming that sexual reproduction produces more genetic variation when necessary (whatever conditions might warrant the need). But asexual reproduction could also claim to be much a much more efficient way of reproducing. There appear to be advantages and disadvantages for both. Both mechanisms are still around. So it is interesting to study populations of organisms that go back and forth between both I should think.

pgardn said:
Assuming that sexual reproduction produces more genetic variation when necessary (whatever conditions might warrant the need). But asexual reproduction could also claim to be much a much more efficient way of reproducing. There appear to be advantages and disadvantages for both. Both mechanisms are still around. So it is interesting to study populations of organisms that go back and forth between both I should think.

Hi PG

Would you please tell me which animals/organisms reproduce asexually? I have always thought that animals reproduce sexually - copulation. Plants reproduce asexually because they have no other way. Pardon me for my ignorance, if there is something utterly wrong with what I have said. Please keep your reply simple, I'm not a biology or science student.

Thanks
Jack

I'm glad someone mentioned plants. Perhaps sexual differentation was something coded by a common ancestor between us and plants?

(not a biologist)

I have to reiterate that I personally think that sex differentiation (leading to our own) must be somewhere in the early history of mammals, rather than even further back (say, to plants).

Why?

Answer:
Nipples.

That already sex differentiated males should develop nipples that serve no function, is meaningless.

Thus, we are left with two alternatives:

A) Sex differentiation in mammals correlated with a reduction of capacity for lactation in the emergent males, and, probably, an enhanced capacity for lactation in the emergent females.

B) Nipples arose from an entirely different reason than lactation, and sex differentiation had already taken place. The already differentiated sexes then developed their nipples into different functions, crossing the line from non-mammalians to mammalians in the process.

As for now, I haven't heard any good argument for advocating B)-type histories.

It follows from my tentative adherence to A)-stories that I think sex differentiation is a fairly easy trait to evolve, and that has done so a number of times independently.
Perhaps I an totally wrong on this. :smile:

jackson6612 said:
Hi PG

Would you please tell me which animals/organisms reproduce asexually? I have always thought that animals reproduce sexually - copulation. Plants reproduce asexually because they have no other way. Pardon me for my ignorance, if there is something utterly wrong with what I have said. Please keep your reply simple, I'm not a biology or science student.

Thanks
Jack

Animals cover a wide range of organisms that you might not consider animals. For example there are numerous sponges, jellyfish, worms that can reproduce asexually. Copulation actually means male "parts" enter female "parts". There are many animals in which this does not happen. To copulate you have to "find" a partner. Another more random way would be just laying eggs and having males "spray" sperm rather randomly. Many fish do this... as there is a medium to help cell meet cell (fertilization) and that medium is water. Land animals are more likely to copulate as the medium for transport of sex cells might just be air (I think you can see problems with male animals just spraying sperm randomly into the air; the Catholic Church does anyway...:blushing:). Plants of course have no problem with air as a transport medium. But to make it more efficient one group of plants, the flowering plants, often enlist the help of insects. So we have the birds (copulate) and the bees statement. Bees really are the transport medium for many plants to have sexual reproduction.
Hope this kinda makes sense.

Last edited:

Pythagorean said:
I'm glad someone mentioned plants. Perhaps sexual differentation was something coded by a common ancestor between us and plants?

(not a biologist)

That is possible but based on the wide variety of mechanisms of both sexual and asexual reproduction, it has been greatly modified over time, or arisen independently which basically says your statement above is unlikely. Last I read, the above is probably not correct, the processess have arisen independently. But your assertion is a valid point and thought.

Oops... arildno's post above pretty much covers my blanket statement through a specific example.

<h2>1. What is the timeline for human evolution and when did males and females fully develop into separate and distinct genders?</h2><p>The timeline for human evolution spans over millions of years, with the earliest known human-like species appearing around 6 million years ago. The development of separate and distinct genders is believed to have occurred around 1.2 million years ago with the appearance of Homo erectus.</p><h2>2. How do scientists determine the differences between male and female in human evolution?</h2><p>Scientists use a combination of physical and genetic evidence to determine the differences between male and female in human evolution. This includes examining skeletal remains for differences in size and shape, as well as analyzing DNA for variations in sex chromosomes.</p><h2>3. Was there always a clear distinction between male and female in human evolution?</h2><p>No, there was not always a clear distinction between male and female in human evolution. In fact, early human species like Australopithecus likely had less pronounced physical differences between males and females, and it wasn't until later species like Homo erectus that distinct gender roles and physical characteristics emerged.</p><h2>4. What factors influenced the development of separate and distinct genders in humans?</h2><p>The development of separate and distinct genders in humans was likely influenced by a combination of biological and social factors. This includes the need for specialized roles in hunting and gathering, as well as the development of complex social structures and hierarchies.</p><h2>5. Are there any ongoing debates or controversies surrounding the evolution of male and female in humans?</h2><p>Yes, there are ongoing debates and controversies surrounding the evolution of male and female in humans. Some scientists argue that gender differences in early human species were less pronounced than previously thought, while others debate the role of genetics versus social factors in the development of distinct genders. Additionally, there is ongoing research and discussion about the impact of gender on human evolution and how it may have shaped our species' development.</p>

1. What is the timeline for human evolution and when did males and females fully develop into separate and distinct genders?

The timeline for human evolution spans over millions of years, with the earliest known human-like species appearing around 6 million years ago. The development of separate and distinct genders is believed to have occurred around 1.2 million years ago with the appearance of Homo erectus.

2. How do scientists determine the differences between male and female in human evolution?

Scientists use a combination of physical and genetic evidence to determine the differences between male and female in human evolution. This includes examining skeletal remains for differences in size and shape, as well as analyzing DNA for variations in sex chromosomes.

3. Was there always a clear distinction between male and female in human evolution?

No, there was not always a clear distinction between male and female in human evolution. In fact, early human species like Australopithecus likely had less pronounced physical differences between males and females, and it wasn't until later species like Homo erectus that distinct gender roles and physical characteristics emerged.

4. What factors influenced the development of separate and distinct genders in humans?

The development of separate and distinct genders in humans was likely influenced by a combination of biological and social factors. This includes the need for specialized roles in hunting and gathering, as well as the development of complex social structures and hierarchies.

5. Are there any ongoing debates or controversies surrounding the evolution of male and female in humans?

Yes, there are ongoing debates and controversies surrounding the evolution of male and female in humans. Some scientists argue that gender differences in early human species were less pronounced than previously thought, while others debate the role of genetics versus social factors in the development of distinct genders. Additionally, there is ongoing research and discussion about the impact of gender on human evolution and how it may have shaped our species' development.