Exploring the Dimensions of Curve S: 1D or 2D?

In summary: A curve is 1-dimensinal --- it "locally" looks like a line. A small piece of a curve, looked at under an idealized microscope would look just like a small piece of an ordinary straight line. A curve may be embedded in a 2-dimensional space or an n-dimensional space where n can be large, but the curve itself is 1-dimensional.Intuitively: imagine living on a curve (forgetting about the "embedding", thinking of the curve as everything there is), then you can only go forward or backwards, i.e. moving along the curve. Phycisists would say something like "there is only one degree of freedom".k. th
kini.Amith
Is a curve (Say 'S') 1d or 2d? I ask this question because for so long i was under the impression that it was 2d, since we need a 2d cartesian plane to draw and describe a curve. But then i read in a popular book that it was 1D, which is hard to believe. so which is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
kini.Amith said:
Is a curve (Say 'S') 1d or 2d? I ask this question because for so long i was under the impression that it was 2d, since we need a 2d cartesian plane to draw and describe a curve. But then i read in a popular book that it was 1D, which is hard to believe. so which is it?

A curve is 1-dimensinal --- it "locally" looks like a line. A small piece of a curve, looked at under an idealized microscope would look just like a small piece of an ordinary straight line.

A curve may be embedded in a 2-dimensional space or an n-dimensional space where n can be large, but the curve itself is 1-dimensional.

Intuitively: imagine living on a curve (forgetting about the "embedding", thinking of the curve as everything there is), then you can only go forward or backwards, i.e. moving along the curve. Phycisists would say something like "there is only one degree of freedom".

k. thnks

Never thought of it like that.

Landau said:
Intuitively: imagine living on a curve (forgetting about the "embedding", thinking of the curve as everything there is), then you can only go forward or backwards, i.e. moving along the curve. Phycisists would say something like "there is only one degree of freedom".
Lets say the curve is positively sloped. If you move forward (to the right), you would also be moving 'up'. Doesnt that means its 2D?

No, as I said you should forget about the curve being embedded in the plane, the curve 'is' the whole world. For example, an ant walking along a curve, or a tightrope walker walking along a thin rope. Then the only possible directions to go are forward and backwards; there is no 'up' or 'down'.

Just to stir up the haziness a bit...if a set can be described as a HOLOMORPHIC curve, then it IS 2-dimensional.

nice work analmux... epic win!

1. What is Curve S and why is it important to explore its dimensions?

Curve S is a mathematical curve that is often studied in geometry and calculus. It is important to explore its dimensions because it can provide insights into the behavior of other curves and surfaces in higher dimensions.

2. Is Curve S considered to be 1D or 2D?

This is a debated question among mathematicians. Some argue that Curve S is one-dimensional because it can be described by a single parameter, while others argue that it is two-dimensional because it exists in a two-dimensional space.

3. What techniques are used to explore the dimensions of Curve S?

Techniques such as parametric equations, polar coordinates, and vector calculus are commonly used to study the dimensions of Curve S. Computer software and visualizations are also helpful tools in understanding its properties.

4. How do the dimensions of Curve S affect its curvature?

The dimensions of Curve S have a significant impact on its curvature. In one-dimensional space, the curvature of Curve S is constant, while in two-dimensional space, it can vary based on the direction in which it is measured.

5. Can Curve S be visualized in higher dimensions?

Yes, Curve S can be extended into higher dimensions, such as 3D or even n-dimensional space. However, it becomes increasingly difficult to visualize and analyze its properties as the dimensions increase.