Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
Evo said:
Not fair, everyone is getting snow, except me. I'm just getting bitter cold.

Have some of the snow that we had today. It's sticky around the freezing temp.

lxgl1.jpg

qr0lld.jpg

erebo2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
My heart pumps purple piss for you. Please feel free to come up here and take the 20 tonnes or so of it that are currently occupying my yard. :rolleyes:

You mean you have room for snow in your back yard?

-30 F, too cold to snow

wolram said:
I have about 10 acres. Plenty of room to store snow. Anybody that is feeling left out is welcome to come get all the snow they want.

wolram said:

Well, that's the thing about snow. There is as much lying on top of my cars and C-can and roof as there would be on the ground if those things weren't there. Maybe more, since it can't soak into them.

It's 66F outside right now, and supposed to be 15F tomorrow night.

Tonight we'll get about 5 inches of snow. We already have snow on snow, something rare in South Jersey. I think this may be the first time I've seen snow from 3 separate storms on the ground at one time in this area. I'm curious about what's going on in Maine. Where's our Maine correspondent?

Sunny, clear and about 30 deg here. Looking at ~10" of snow tomorrow though. Ack! Snowmobilers will love it. I won't.

You can thank us Kansans for the snow turbo. I got 10" of the puffy stuff before sending up to you. But now the wind is drifting it and blocking my drive. Tonight I looking at -5°F.

dlgoff said:
You can thank us Kansans for the snow turbo. I got 10" of the puffy stuff before sending up to you. But now the wind is drifting it and blocking my drive. Tonight I looking at -5°F.
Every time I open the door, I get hit in the face with a gust of snow (from the wind blowing it). Damn, I should bring the squirrels inside tonight.

Evo said:
Every time I open the door, I get hit in the face with a gust of snow (from the wind blowing it). Damn, I should bring the squirrels inside tonight.
I have a old outdoor cat that I let in for a time this afternoon. I didn't let here stay in too long. She is so use to the outdoor temps that it didn't take long before she was too hot. So I let her out and she didn't mind at all. At night she has her place in the chicken house.

Catch the cold. I'm wondering if it'll drop below 30 minus this year.

The UK seems to be living up to an old weather proverb: if the ice is thick enough for a duck to walk on before Christmas, it won't be thick enough for a goose to walk on all year.

After a record cold December (lowest average temp in the 100 years of data available) we are now at a rather unseasonal +10C. It that lasts for a couple of weeks, the lawn will need mowing!

Snowing heavily now. We're getting at least an inch an hour currently, and the snow isn't expected to end until around midnight.

Evo said:

Maybe get a rabies vaccination first...?

The snow is too deep and soft for them to run across, a few brave souls have tried to hop around, but each time they land, they fall through the snow and are buried, then they have to jump out of the hole. In other words, they're mainly sticking to the trees.

turbo, I saw that you're getting socked with snow, good luck.

Well, at least our towns have snow-removal equipment. One of the two newer/larger trucks was laid up a while back. I hope it's back in service now.

turbo-1 said:
Well, at least our towns have snow-removal equipment. One of the two newer/larger trucks was laid up a while back. I hope it's back in service now.
Did you get the problem with the trail guy fixed?

Evo said:
Did you get the problem with the trail guy fixed?
The trailmaster managed to remove the obstruction well enough to be able to groom the snow. It's not an isolated incident, though. If the new driver doesn't learn to operate that plow properly, it will cost this little town thousands of dollars to fix the problems he's causing. Many of our back roads are gravel, and without clear ditches to divert the water away from the roads, they can easily be washed out by heavy rain. He's been carelessly plowing gravel from the shoulders into the ditches, and we may have to hire an excavator to clear them in the spring.

Ah well.

I was supposed to be up in Seattle today but wasn't about to drive through a snow storm last night.

That was a tough call. It was a very important meeting and the roads may or may not have been okay, but it looks like I made the right call. It was snowing here by 2 PM. Later, it was 31 degrees F and raining.

My wife has a Legacy AWD with studded snow tires and I am very glad of it. I hope the pokey plow-truck driver manages to make another pass by 3pm or so. I just took Duke out for a walk and there is already another 5" of snow on the roads since his first pass. At the rate this stuff is piling up we'll have a few more inches by commute-time.

We have only traces of snow left, above 0 deg C day and night for over a week here - and similar forecast.

We got about 50mm yesterday. :wink:

Ivan Seeking said:
I was supposed to be up in Seattle today but wasn't about to drive through a snow storm last night.

That was a tough call. It was a very important meeting and the roads may or may not have been okay, but it looks like I made the right call. It was snowing here by 2 PM. Later, it was 31 degrees F and raining.

This morning it was 48F and raining. I think you can get up to Seattle today.

It took me 1 hour 47 minutes to drive 11 miles on the freeways of Cleveland, OH yesterday - due to snow whiteouts and accumulation. After the meeting, I headed south east 30 miles and the sun was bright, sky was clear, and the road was dry. Ironically, I heard discussion on the various radio stations that schools were open in Cleveland and closed in the sunny areas.

Just back in for a re-hydration break after cleaning off vehicles. Now to dig out the door of my detached garage so I can get my snow-blower out... I hate snow.

It was about -11°F early this morning here. :shiver:

Another re-hydration break. Driveway is 1/2 cleared. Swirling winds with occasional strong gusts make snow-blowing "interesting" - painfully so.

turbo-1 said:
Just back in for a re-hydration break after cleaning off vehicles. Now to dig out the door of my detached garage so I can get my snow-blower out... I hate snow.
Digging out the snow blower is just wrong.

turbo-1 said:

Snow-blower? Fire up that tractor turbo!

WhoWee said:
Snow-blower? Fire up that tractor turbo!
The problem with that is the steel cutter on the bucket is pretty rough my my driveway, and after you have made snow-piles at the limit of the loader arms, there's no place left to put more snow. I use it to cut back snow banks so we have visibility in late winter, though. It's a LOT easier than cutting back the banks with a shovel. As you can see, winters can bring some logistics problems here. We don't get extended thaws like some parts of the country.

marchhouse.jpg

turbo-1 said:
The problem with that is the steel cutter on the bucket is pretty rough my my driveway, and after you have made snow-piles at the limit of the loader arms, there's no place left to put more snow. I use it to cut back snow banks so we have visibility in late winter, though. It's a LOT easier than cutting back the banks with a shovel. As you can see, winters can bring some logistics problems here. We don't get extended thaws like some parts of the country.

marchhouse.jpg

Fair enough. I have an idea for using the tractor next summer - dig up the drive and put in a floor heat system:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+wash&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

It snowed here last night. That means there is now snow from 4 separate storms on the ground at the same time. I can't remember if I have seen that here before. It's not a lot of snow, its just that the temperatures have stayed below freezing for almost 2 months now.

No snow here, we are still well above freezing, not typical for January. They say heatwave will end tomorrow.

<h2>1. Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather?</h2><p>Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause severe weather such as blizzards, heavy snowfall, and strong winds. These weather events can lead to dangerous conditions and potential damage to property.</p><h2>2. Can the Arctic Cold Front Cause Damage to Crops?</h2><p>Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause damage to crops, especially if they are not properly protected. Frost and freezing temperatures can harm crops and delay their growth, leading to potential economic impacts for farmers.</p><h2>3. How Does the Arctic Cold Front Form?</h2><p>The Arctic cold front forms when a mass of cold air from the Arctic region moves southward, displacing the warmer air in its path. This can occur due to changes in atmospheric pressure and wind patterns.</p><h2>4. How Long Will the Arctic Cold Front Last?</h2><p>The duration of the Arctic cold front can vary, but it typically lasts for a few days to a week. However, the impact of the cold front, such as severe weather and crop damage, can last longer depending on the severity of the front.</p><h2>5. What Precautions Should I Take During an Arctic Cold Front?</h2><p>During an Arctic cold front, it is important to stay informed about weather updates and warnings. It is also crucial to take precautions to protect yourself and your property, such as staying indoors, dressing warmly, and properly insulating your home. Farmers should also take measures to protect their crops from freezing temperatures.</p>

1. Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather?

Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause severe weather such as blizzards, heavy snowfall, and strong winds. These weather events can lead to dangerous conditions and potential damage to property.

2. Can the Arctic Cold Front Cause Damage to Crops?

Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause damage to crops, especially if they are not properly protected. Frost and freezing temperatures can harm crops and delay their growth, leading to potential economic impacts for farmers.

3. How Does the Arctic Cold Front Form?

The Arctic cold front forms when a mass of cold air from the Arctic region moves southward, displacing the warmer air in its path. This can occur due to changes in atmospheric pressure and wind patterns.

4. How Long Will the Arctic Cold Front Last?

The duration of the Arctic cold front can vary, but it typically lasts for a few days to a week. However, the impact of the cold front, such as severe weather and crop damage, can last longer depending on the severity of the front.

5. What Precautions Should I Take During an Arctic Cold Front?

During an Arctic cold front, it is important to stay informed about weather updates and warnings. It is also crucial to take precautions to protect yourself and your property, such as staying indoors, dressing warmly, and properly insulating your home. Farmers should also take measures to protect their crops from freezing temperatures.