Symbol html on Netscape and Explorer

In summary: The conversation discusses the differences between using Netscape and Explorer for translating and displaying Greek symbols in HTML code. The good news is that Netscape has a translate tool that can be used to automatically translate web pages into different languages. However, the bad news is that it does not support Greek translation. The speaker suggests using Internet Explorer or trying the translate tool anyway in case it has been upgraded. Another alternative is to use Unicode, which is a more versatile option for displaying special characters. The speaker also mentions that the <sub> command may not be as effective on Netscape and suggests looking into alternative options. In summary, the conversation provides various solutions for displaying Greek symbols on a website using different browsers and tools.
Loren Booda
"Symbol" html on Netscape and Explorer

Apparently my recently installed Netscape 7.2 does not translate to Greek my website html symbol code, where Explorer had. Why is this so, and how can I either make Netscape translate or choose Explorer as my default browser for executing my FTP document? Patience please, I am fairly computer-illiterate. (The site in question is that below, www.quantumdream.net[/URL])

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Well, there's good news and bad news.

The good news is I can tell you how to use the translate tool in Netscape:

Choose the Translate option from Navigator’s View menu. The language of the web page you were viewing will be automatically selected for you as the source language. You then choose the language you’d like the web page to be translated into, and the service remembers this for future translation requests. Click the button to start AutoTranslate and in seconds the text in the browser window will appear, translated into the language you selected. Click any link in the translated page and the service will translate that page for you into the target language you chose in the setup screen. It’s that easy.

In other words, at the top of the window, click view -> Translate.

The bad news is it doesn't translate to Greek. But try it anyway, it might have been upgraded lately (I assume you're using the latest version of Netscape.)

The other alternative is simply using Internet Explorer instead when you want to view that particular page.

Andy
AMW Bonfire

What I was trying to say was that Netscape does not recognize my "symbol" command in html. I worry that half of the surfers out there cannot appreciate the Greek symbols that are supposed to appear in my equations. I don't want the whole page translated into Greek, just that the browser acknowledges the specific translation of certain characters through the "symbol" tag.

TenaliRaman,

Yours in the best suggestion ever made for my site. I have that link stored safely in my favorites! I never knew that Unicode could be so versatile. Many thanks.

Could any of you offer why my <sub> command seems less effective on Netscape though, and what alternatives I may have?

Really?
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_reference.asp
it says sub is supported by Netscape from NN 3.0 .. it shows pretty well on my Mozilla so i expect it to do well even in netscape

-- AI

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the "Symbol html" on Netscape and Explorer?

The "Symbol html" is a special character or symbol that can be inserted into an HTML document using specific code. It allows for the display of symbols and characters that are not available on a standard keyboard.

2. How do I insert a "Symbol html" on Netscape and Explorer?

To insert a "Symbol html" on Netscape and Explorer, you can use the &# code, followed by the specific code for the symbol you want to display. For example, &#169; will display the copyright symbol ©. You can also use the "Insert Symbol" function in the toolbar of these browsers.

3. Are all "Symbol html" codes compatible across Netscape and Explorer?

No, not all "Symbol html" codes are compatible across Netscape and Explorer. Some symbols may have different codes or may not be supported by one of the browsers. It's best to test the code in both browsers to ensure compatibility.

4. Can I use "Symbol html" in my website's title or meta tags?

No, it is not recommended to use "Symbol html" in website titles or meta tags. These should contain plain text for better compatibility and search engine optimization.

5. Is there a limit to the number of "Symbol html" codes I can use on a webpage?

There is no specific limit to the number of "Symbol html" codes that can be used on a webpage. However, it's important to use them sparingly and only when necessary to avoid clutter and potential compatibility issues.