Non-Normal Subgroups in Simple Groups

• Thread starter spamiam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, non-normal subgroups in simple groups are subgroups that are not invariant under conjugation and do not contain the identity element. They play an important role in the study of simple groups, which are groups that have no proper non-trivial normal subgroups. Non-normal subgroups can be identified by their index, which is the number of cosets they have in the group. They also have a relationship with normalizers, which are the largest subgroups that contain the given subgroup and normalize it. Overall, understanding non-normal subgroups is crucial in the study of simple groups and their properties.
spamiam
What are some simple groups that have non-normal subgroups? The only example I can think of is the alternating group for n > 4.

Physics news on Phys.org
all non abelian simple groups have non normal subgroups. i.e. they have even order, so they have elements of order 2, hence subgroups of order 2, which are necessarily non normal.

Thanks for your reply, mathwonk!

mathwonk said:
all non abelian simple groups have non normal subgroups. i.e. they have even order...

Wait, all non-abelian simple groups have even order? Or did you mean that as an example?

...so they have elements of order 2, hence subgroups of order 2, which are necessarily non normal.

Okay, the element of order 2 follows from Cauchy's theorem, but why are these subgroups "necessarily" non-normal? Is it just because we were already assuming the group was simple or is there a deeper reason?

I was kind of hoping for some specific examples of known groups. The only examples of simple groups with which I'm familiar are [itex] \mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}[/itex] and [itex]A_n[/itex] for n > 4. Are there any other well-known ones?

Thanks again!

spamiam said:
Wait, all non-abelian simple groups have even order? Or did you mean that as an example?

Yes, a finite simple group is either [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p[/tex] or have even order. This is the contents of the celebrated Feit-Thompson theorem.

Okay, the element of order 2 follows from Cauchy's theorem, but why are these subgroups "necessarily" non-normal? Is it just because we were already assuming the group was simple or is there a deeper reason?

That is correct. The subgroup is non-normal, because we assumed that the group was simple.

I was kind of hoping for some specific examples of known groups. The only examples of simple groups with which I'm familiar are [itex] \mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}[/itex] and [itex]A_n[/itex] for n > 4. Are there any other well-known ones?

Thanks again!

To my knowledge, example of simple groups are kind of tricky. The article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_finite_simple_groups gives a list of simple groups. The most intriguing of these groups is the so-called monster group, which is very big. It contains a (non-normal of course) subgroup which is also huge and is called the baby monster.

micromass said:
This is the contents of the celebrated Feit-Thompson theorem.

Celebrated, eh? Looks like I might have to go celebrate with a textbook. :biggrin:

To my knowledge, example of simple groups are kind of tricky. The article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_finite_simple_groups gives a list of simple groups.

You weren't kidding! I could understand the construction of about 3 families out of that list. Thanks for the link!

1. What is a non-normal subgroup in a simple group?

A non-normal subgroup in a simple group is a subgroup that is not a normal subgroup, meaning it does not satisfy the condition that every element of the subgroup commutes with every element of the group. In other words, there exists at least one element in the subgroup that does not commute with an element in the group.

2. Why are non-normal subgroups important in the study of simple groups?

Non-normal subgroups play a crucial role in the structure of simple groups. They help identify certain properties and characteristics of the group, and can be used to classify different types of simple groups.

3. Can a simple group have more than one non-normal subgroup?

Yes, a simple group can have multiple non-normal subgroups. However, in order for a simple group to have more than one non-normal subgroup, it must have a large number of elements and a complex structure.

4. How are non-normal subgroups related to normal subgroups in simple groups?

Non-normal subgroups are the complement of normal subgroups in simple groups. This means that in a simple group, every subgroup that is not normal is considered a non-normal subgroup.

5. What are some examples of non-normal subgroups in simple groups?

Examples of non-normal subgroups in simple groups include the alternating group An, where n ≥ 5, and the Mathieu group M11. These are examples of non-normal subgroups that have been extensively studied in the field of group theory.