Projectile Motion (Initial Velocity)

In summary: Can you just tell me the answer to the initial velocity question. I'm not sure what to do.Ok, let's start over. You know the average vertical speed. You know the vertical distance traveled. You want the time. So use the kinematic equation that has all three of those things in it. Which one is that?I think it's this one:Sy = Uyt + 0.5(ay)t^2 OrBut what would I plug in for Uy?Yes, that's the one. Sy is the final height, 4 m. Uy is the initial speed, which you want to find. ay is the vertical acceleration
Milkster18
Hi, I am trying to find the initial velocity of this question:

Using a video camera, it is observed that when a ball is kicked from A, it just clears the top of a wall at B as it reaches its maximum height. Knowing the distance from A to the wall is 20m and the wall is 4m high, determine the initial velocity at which the ball was kicked. Neglect size of the ball ( Ans Ua = 23.9m/s).

So I am thinking to find the angle you have to use trig :

so 20^2 + 4^2 = square root of 416 = 20.4m (hypotenuse)

using Sin, 4/ 20.4 = Invert Sin 0.196 = 11.3 degrees angle the ball is projected.

Now i have then angle what else do i need to find in order to find the initial velocity at which the ball was kicked?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Milkster18 said:
So I am thinking to find the angle you have to use trig :

so 20^2 + 4^2 = square root of 416 = 20.4m (hypotenuse)

using Sin, 4/ 20.4 = Invert Sin 0.196 = 11.3 degrees angle the ball is projected.
That angle is not the angle of the ball's initial velocity. The ball travels a parabolic trajectory, not a straight line.

Analyze the vertical motion first. Figure out the vertical component of the initial velocity.

Ah ok, i thought about the ball not traveling in a straight line assuming the angle was wrong at some point.

Ok so if 'm trying to analyze the vertical component of the initial velocity I am going to use equation:

Sy = Uyt + 0.5(ay)t^2 Or

Vy^2 = Uy^2 - 2g(Sy)

The 2nd equation I'm thinking i should use since it has just one unknown (Uy).

Vy = 0, Sy = 4m

0 = Uy^2 - 2(-9.81)(4)

I don't want to go further until i know what I'm doing so far is correct..

Milkster18 said:
Ah ok, i thought about the ball not traveling in a straight line assuming the angle was wrong at some point.

Ok so if 'm trying to analyze the vertical component of the initial velocity I am going to use equation:

Sy = Uyt + 0.5(ay)t^2 Or

Vy^2 = Uy^2 - 2g(Sy)

The 2nd equation I'm thinking i should use since it has just one unknown (Uy).

Vy = 0, Sy = 4m

0 = Uy^2 - 2(-9.81)(4)

I don't want to go further until i know what I'm doing so far is correct..
Almost perfect. You have an extra minus sign in your last equation. g is just the magnitude of acceleration, so g = 9.81, not -9.81. (The acceleration is -g = -(9.81) = -9.81 m/s^2.)

Ok so

Uy^2 = 2(9.81)(4) + 0

Uy^2 = square root 78.48

Uy =8.86 m/s Correct?

What shall i do now?

Do i find the time?

Sy = Uyt + 0.5(9.81)t^

Sy = 4 + (8.86)t - 4.905t^2

Sy = 12.86t / 4.905^2

4 = 12.86 - 4.905

4 = 7.955

t = square root 0.5 = 0.7s

t = 0.7 s .. is this correct so far?

Milkster18 said:
Ok so

Uy^2 = 2(9.81)(4) + 0

Uy^2 = square root 78.48

Uy =8.86 m/s Correct?

Yes. Good.

Do i find the time?

Sy = Uyt + 0.5(9.81)t^

Sy = 4 + (8.86)t - 4.905t^2

Sy = 12.86t / 4.905^2
Right approach, but you messed up the equation:
(1) 4 is the final position, not the initial.
(2) a + bt ≠ (a + b)t

Even easier: What's the average vertical speed? Use that to find the time.

Average vertical speed..

Uy / g

8.86 / 9.81 = 0.9 s?

(Sorry I am getting tired as its nearly 2am)

speed is calculating in m/s.. sorry I am confused

Milkster18 said:
Average vertical speed..

Uy / g

8.86 / 9.81 = 0.9 s?
No. The vertical speed varies uniformly from its initial value of 8.86 m/s to 0 at the highest point. What do you think the average vertical speed would be?

sice it highest point is Sy = 4m

is it 8.86 / 4 = 2.215 m/s average vertical speed?

if its not can you provide further help? thanks

Milkster18 said:
sice it highest point is Sy = 4m

is it 8.86 / 4 = 2.215 m/s average vertical speed?
No. You cannot divide a speed by a distance and expect to end up with a speed.

if its not can you provide further help?
Try this analogy: You start out making zero money and, uniformly, little by little, end up making $100/day. Over that time period, what was your average salary per day?

You may want to review some of the basic formulas of kinematics:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2"
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/1DKin/U1L6a.cfm" [Broken]

And here's some good stuff about projectile motion:
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/u3l2a.cfm" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
u+v / 2 = the average?

So v = 0

8.86 / 2 = 4.43 m/s

Milkster18 said:
u+v / 2 = the average?

So v = 0

8.86 / 2 = 4.43 m/s
Good! So now that you have the average vertical speed and the vertical distance, figure out the time.

with the analogy:

Say you made 0$ to 100$ over 7 days .. average income per day is 100 / 7 = 14.3$ per day

Sy = (4.43)t - (4.91)t^2

4 = (4.43)t - (4.91)

4 = -0.48?

4 / 0.48 = square root 8.33

t = 2.887 s ?

Question: Why does the AVERAGE Initial vertical velocity have to be used instead of just the initial vertical velocity so i can understand why?

Milkster18 said:
with the analogy:

Say you made 0$ to 100$ over 7 days .. average income per day is 100 / 7 = 14.3$ per day
No. Your income increases from 0/day to 100/day. Like this:
0/day; 1/day, 2/day, 3/day... 100/day. Average (assuming uniform increase--just like uniform acceleration) is (0 + 100)/2 = 50/day. Half the time you made less, half the time you made more.

(But don't worry about that analogy if it doesn't help.)

Milkster18 said:
Sy = (4.43)t - (4.91)t^2

4 = (4.43)t - (4.91)

4 = -0.48?

4 / 0.48 = square root 8.33

t = 2.887 s ?
No, using that method you would use the initial velocity, not the average velocity. You'll end up with a quadratic to solve.

Milkster18 said:
Question: Why does the AVERAGE Initial vertical velocity have to be used instead of just the initial vertical velocity so i can understand why?
Again, using that method you would use the initial velocity.

I wanted to show you an easier way to get the time, using Distance = ave speed X time. No quadratics to solve. (Do it both ways and compare the answers.)

Yes i realize using quadratics is a way to find time, i didn't know there was an easier way to solve for t thou.

as for getting the average vertical initial velocity .. i don't know what this answer goes into which equation in order to solve t.

Sorry i haven't solved for initial velocity before as this topic (projectile motion) is new to me.

Easier methods are always better :)

solving for Ux i would have to find time t?

Milkster18 said:
Yes i realize using quadratics is a way to find time, i didn't know there was an easier way to solve for t thou.
You should solve it both ways to make sure you understand them.

as for getting the average vertical initial velocity .. i don't know what this answer goes into which equation in order to solve t.
I gave you the needed equation in my last post--in words. (Another version is in the first link I gave you.)

Sorry i haven't solved for initial velocity before as this topic (projectile motion) is new to me.
You're doing OK. Keep at it!

Easier methods are always better :)

solving for Ux i would have to find time t?
Yes. To solve for Ux, you'll first need the time. Which is what you're solving for now.

Ok so in order to find t i use:

Ur saying: Distance = avg speed x time

So time = distance / avg speed?

Got 2 distances sy = 4, sx = 20m

Not sure wat to do here..

Im guessing 4 / 4.43 = 0.9s

Or 4.43/4 = 1.11s

Milkster18 said:
Ok so in order to find t i use:

Ur saying: Distance = avg speed x time

So time = distance / avg speed?
Yes.

Got 2 distances sy = 4, sx = 20m
Since we just found the average vertical speed, you'll use the vertical distance.

Not sure wat to do here..

Im guessing 4 / 4.43 = 0.9s
Right. (But why guess? Just plug into the formula.)

Or 4.43/4 = 1.11s
That doesn't work. We want distance/speed not speed/distance.

It always helps to check units:

distance/speed = (m)/(m/s) = 1/(1/s) = s (makes sense, since we are trying to find a time)

speed/distance = (m/s)/m = 1/s (no good--1/s is not a proper unit for time)

Ok, sorry i didn't know about distance = avg speed x time formula. Wasn't told by my lecturer about that.

yes distance / speed sounds better than speed / distance lol.

so now i find Ux given by time.

Sx = Ux t

Ux = Sx / t =

Ux = 20 / 0.9 = Ux as 22.22 m/s

so if I am finding average of Ux:

average horizontal initial velocity = 11.11 m/s?

So now i have the horizontal and vertical component, how do i use these to find the initial velocity?

Milkster18 said:
Ok, sorry i didn't know about distance = avg speed x time formula. Wasn't told by my lecturer about that.

yes distance / speed sounds better than speed / distance lol.

so now i find Ux given by time.

Sx = Ux t

Ux = Sx / t =

Ux = 20 / 0.9 = Ux as 22.22 m/s
OK.

so if I am finding average of Ux:

average horizontal initial velocity = 11.11 m/s?
(1) Since there's no horizontal acceleration, the average horizontal speed is the same as the initial horizontal speed Ux. (It doesn't vary from 0 m/s to 22.22 m/s; it's constant at 22.22 m/s.)
(2) Ux is what we want, anyway. (We only used average vertical speed as a means to find the time.)

So now i have the horizontal and vertical component, how do i use these to find the initial velocity?
Ux and Uy are the components of the velocity vector. Use Pythagoras to find the magnitude and some trig to find the angle.

Ok looking good.

Square root 8.86^2 + 22.22^2

=23.9 m/s

Ui = 23.9 m/s .. looking good its correct :)

Any reason to find the angle? I am guessing to help find other components?

If anything ever comes to using quadratic equations is there any other method that is easier such as the average vertical initial component? I've seen quadratic equations involving Sin/Tan/Cos and it looks ever so confusing.

Thanks again Doc Al, before i finish this thread i was just wondering about finding something off topic:

Angular Motion:

Question: A flywheel increases its frequency of rotation from 20rpm to 40 rpm in 10 s with a uniform angular acceleration. Calcualte a) the angular acceleration, and (b) the number of revolutions made during the 10s period.

Answer to a) is 0.21rad/s^2

b) revolutions is 5 ...

but i don't understand how to calculate how many revolutions in a period of time giving the answer to question (b) above

I can calculate everything else apart from the revolutions because once again i wasn't given a formula or teaching of how to find this. Would you be able to provide information on how to find this ?

Thanks again.

Milkster18 said:
Ok looking good.

Square root 8.86^2 + 22.22^2

=23.9 m/s

Ui = 23.9 m/s .. looking good its correct :)
Good!

Any reason to find the angle? I am guessing to help find other components?
You'd find the angle to fully specify the initial velocity. (If you need to; the question is ambiguous.) You already have the components.

If anything ever comes to using quadratic equations is there any other method that is easier such as the average vertical initial component? I've seen quadratic equations involving Sin/Tan/Cos and it looks ever so confusing.
Sometimes there's no way around it and you have to solve a quadratic.

Thanks again Doc Al, before i finish this thread i was just wondering about finding something off topic:

Angular Motion:

Question: A flywheel increases its frequency of rotation from 20rpm to 40 rpm in 10 s with a uniform angular acceleration. Calcualte a) the angular acceleration, and (b) the number of revolutions made during the 10s period.

Answer to a) is 0.21rad/s^2

b) revolutions is 5 ...

but i don't understand how to calculate how many revolutions in a period of time giving the answer to question (b) above
The basic equations of motion for rotational motion are exactly analogous to the equations for linear motion. Here the number of revolutions (or the angle) is analogous to distance.

One easy way is to use our average velocity trick to find the distance/revolutions. Careful with units.

I can calculate everything else apart from the revolutions because once again i wasn't given a formula or teaching of how to find this. Would you be able to provide information on how to find this ?
Check out this list: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html#rlin"

Last edited by a moderator:
So use equation

Pheta = W1 + 0.5at^2

W1 = 2.1rad/s
W2 = 4.19 rad/s

Pheta = 2.1(10) + 0.5(0.21)(10)^2

Pheta = 21 + 10.5

Pheta = 30.5 radians?

How do i use this to find revolutions if this is correct?

31.5 radians.. my mistake

Milkster18 said:
So use equation

Pheta = W1 + 0.5at^2

W1 = 2.1rad/s
W2 = 4.19 rad/s

Pheta = 2.1(10) + 0.5(0.21)(10)^2

Pheta = 21 + 10.5

Pheta = 30.5 radians?

How do i use this to find revolutions if this is correct?
Good. (Except for the typo, which you corrected later.)

How many radians equal one revolution?

And don't forget to try the 'easy way'. What's the average angular speed in rpm for that interval?

one revolution = 2*pi radians

31.5 / 2*pi = just over 5 revolutions :)

but i had to find 2*pi first then use that answer to divided into 31.5 rads.. otherwise the answer will be completely different for some reason.

As for average angular speed:

20 / 2 = 10 rpm?

Milkster18 said:
one revolution = 2*pi radians

31.5 / 2*pi = just over 5 revolutions :)
Good.

but i had to find 2*pi first then use that answer to divided into 31.5 rads.. otherwise the answer will be completely different for some reason.
Not sure what you mean.

As for average angular speed:

20 / 2 = 10 rpm?
No. It goes from 20 rpm to 40 rpm, so what would the average be? (It can't be 10 rpm!)

Ah

W1 + W2 / 2

20 + 40 / 2 = 30 rpm

So now i have average how does this make things easier?

Im from the UK by the way so i think some units / symbols are different to US if your from there.

Thanks for the help again. :)

Milkster18 said:
Ah

W1 + W2 / 2

20 + 40 / 2 = 30 rpm
Good.

So now i have average how does this make things easier?
Use the same formula as before: Distance = ave speed X time
Here "distance" is replaced by angle/revolutions.

Hint: How many minutes is 10 seconds?

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

What is initial velocity in projectile motion?

Initial velocity is the velocity at which an object is launched or thrown into the air. It is the speed and direction at which the object starts its motion.

How is initial velocity calculated?

Initial velocity can be calculated using the equation: v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the object is in motion.

What factors affect the initial velocity in projectile motion?

The initial velocity in projectile motion is affected by the angle of launch, the air resistance, and the height at which the object is launched. These factors can change the magnitude and direction of the initial velocity.

How does initial velocity impact the trajectory of a projectile?

The initial velocity has a significant impact on the trajectory of a projectile. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer horizontal distance traveled and a flatter trajectory, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter horizontal distance and a steeper trajectory.