Create Cool Shapes with MS Paint: Math & Fun?

• Thread starter darub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paint
In summary, the conversation was about a cool technique the speaker discovered for creating interesting shapes using Microsoft Paint. The shapes are based on a circle divided by points and then connected with curved lines using random numbers. The speaker is also experimenting with automating the process into a program. Some examples of the shapes were shared and the conversation also briefly touched on Klein bottles and the symbol for Ohm.
darub
hello.
to be clear, my math is very bad and i used to hate it in school (hmm maybe not the best way to start ..)
anyway, while i had a lot of spare time and nothing to do except playing around with windows paint (don't ask why), i found a cool technique which generates nice shapes, which, i discovered, i thought were impossible geometricaly.
here is an example of one of these shapes, it can actualy be very various types of them.
[PLAIN]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2852/62048532.png

please note that i have added some lines to the left side of the shape, these can be ignored.

so, to my question, is it just a fun thing, or can it be used by smarter people than me?

i can add more examples of different shapes, and now uploading a video the creation method (will take several hours tho).

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I can't tell you how useful it might be, but it certainly looks cool

I love it. :)

Rasalhague said:
It looks a bit like one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle

You can buy a Klein bottle here ...

http://www.kleinbottle.com/

At last, Acme has conquered topological and engineering frontiers to manufacture genuine glass Klein Bottles. These are the finest closed, non-orientable, boundary-free manifolds sold anywhere in our three spatial dimensions.

These elegant bottles make splendid gifts, outstanding classroom displays, and inferior mouse-traps. With its circle of singularities, an Acme Klein Bottle can be said to exist inside of itself -- especially handy during time-reversals.

and ...

Just $45 gets you a quality, rustproof, borosilicate zerovolume manifold ... a bargain compared to 6 years in graduate school!

this is how the symbol "Ohm" (well half of it) would look like in a twisted dimension:
[PLAIN]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/7287/ohm1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
... how did you do that with MS Paint!?

Pengwuino said:
... how did you do that with MS Paint!?

it all began with a circle divided by points.
than i ran a straight lines betwin these points by a random number that i picked (it creates stars shapes).
than i thought "hell, why not using the curve option?". so instead of straight lines i ran curved lines, using 2 random points on the screen to adjust the curve (and keeping these points all the way), and 1 random number to run the curve betwin the points. after that it's only a matter of patience..
the way from circle to random shapes as base was short, and now I'm doing some experiments with vanishing points.
also, i am now trying to automate this process into a program, problem is, I'm lacking any knowledge on programming, so I am looking for a guy to do it for me.

1. What is MS Paint?

MS Paint is a free, basic graphics editing program that comes pre-installed on most Windows computers.

2. How can I create cool shapes with MS Paint?

To create cool shapes with MS Paint, you can use the "Shapes" tool located in the toolbar. Simply click on the desired shape and drag it onto the canvas. You can also modify the shape's size, color, and position by using the options in the toolbar.

3. Can I use math to create shapes in MS Paint?

Yes, you can use math to create shapes in MS Paint by utilizing the "Line" and "Curve" tools. These tools allow you to draw straight lines and curves by inputting specific measurements or coordinates.

4. How can I make my shapes symmetrical in MS Paint?

To make symmetrical shapes in MS Paint, you can use the "Symmetry" feature located in the toolbar. This will create a mirrored version of your shape, making it perfectly symmetrical.

5. Can I combine shapes in MS Paint?

Yes, you can combine shapes in MS Paint by using the "Merge" option in the toolbar. This will allow you to merge multiple shapes together to create more complex shapes and designs.