Derivation of Fowler-Nordheim current density

In summary, an expert summarizer of content provided a summary of the conversation, in which they stated that they are working on a PhD dissertation studying electron Fowler-Nordheim tunneling across a potential barrier, and that they are missing steps in the derivation. They provide a few hints for anyone helping them, and state that the current density can be expressed as the product of the number of electrons per unit area and time arriving at the Silicon/oxide interface, and the tunneling probability. They state that from the above, and some straightforward homogeneity considerations, one can find out the current density: J_FN = q/m. They mention that if the electrons are thought of as a free electron gas, the
zeus_the_almighty
Hi everybody,
I study solid-state electronics, more precisely electron Fowler-Nordheim tunneling across the gate oxide of a Silicon-Oxide-Silicon capacitor.
I need help on the physics of electron tunneling across a triangular barrier.
It will be part of my PhD dissertation. I have been through many websites but couldn't find out any FULL, DETAILED, derivation of the so-called Fowler-Nordheim Current density. Looks like nobody knows exactly the math which lies behind!

Does anybody know how to derive the well-known formula of the Fowler-Nordheim current density resulting
from a triangular potential barrier, which is:

(E.1) [tex]J_{FN}=\alpha F^2 \exp{\frac{-\beta}{F}}[/tex]

where [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are the so-called pre-exponential and exponential Fowler-Nordheim parameters, and F the electrical field across the tunnel oxide.
[tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] depend on the potential barrier height [tex]\Phi_{0}[/tex] and the ratio of effectives masses (in the oxide conduction band and in the silicon conduction band) in the following way:

(E.2) [tex]\alpha=\frac{q^3}{8\pi qh\Phi_{0}}\frac{m_{Si}}{m_{ox}}[/tex]

and

(E.3) [tex]\beta=\frac{8\pi}{3qh}\sqrt{2m_{ox}}(q\Phi_{0})^\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

I know part of the derivation but there are some missing steps.
Here are a few hints for those who may help me:
the current density [tex]J_{FN}[/tex] can be expressed as the product of:
i)
the number of electrons per unit area and time arriving at the Silicon/oxide interface,

and

ii)the tunneling probability T(E) for a triangular barrier.

From the above, and some straightforward homogeneity considerations, one finds out:

(E.4) [tex]J_{FN}=\frac{q}{m} \int_{0}^{E_{m}} n(E) f(E) T(E) dE[/tex]

where n(E) is the density of states per unit energy,
f(E) the Fermi-Dirac function,
Em the highest energy of the electron gas.

Since we consider only cold emission, f(E)=1 .

Moreover, if the electrons are thought of as a free electron gas, the density of states per unit energy does not depend on the energy and is expressed (classicaly) as:

(E.5) [tex]n(E)=\frac{2\pi m^*}{h^3}[/tex]

In addition to this, the tunneling probability, "seen" by an electron arriving at the Silicon/oxide interface with an energy "E", and resulting from a triangular barrier (whose height is [tex]q\phi_{0}-E[/tex] and electric field F) can be derived easily in solving the steady-state one-dimensional Schrödinger equation, giving:

(E.6) [tex]T(E)=\exp{(-\frac{8\pi}{3qh}\sqrt{2m_{ox}(q\Phi_{0}-E) }\frac{1}{F})}[/tex].

From, this, the question is:

How does one go from:

(E.7)[tex]J_{FN}=\frac{q}{m} \int_{0}^{E_{m}} \frac{2\pi m^*}{h^3} T(E) dE[/tex]

to (E.1)?

THANKS.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank u for your answer.
I have already been checking this site.
The derivation described there only gives you
the tunneling probability T(E) but does NOT give the FULL derivation
of the current density [tex]J_{FN}[/tex].

The one thing which really puzzles me is:
where does [tex]F^2[/tex] come from in the expression of [tex]J_{FN}[/tex]?

Help!

zeus_the_almighty said:
Thank u for your answer.
I have already been checking this site.
The derivation described there only gives you
the tunneling probability T(E) but does NOT give the FULL derivation
of the current density [tex]J_{FN}[/tex].

The one thing which really puzzles me is:
where does [tex]F^2[/tex] come from in the expression of [tex]J_{FN}[/tex]?

Help!

Then you REALLY need to read the original Fowler-Nordheim paper since there are some "standard" symbols associated with most of these variables. F is typically defined as the "effective field", i.e. phi/L, where phi is the potential and "L" is the effective length of the triangular barrier.

If you can't get hold of FN's paper, you may want to check out Kevin Jensen's extension of this work. See

K.L. Jensen, J. Vac. Sci. Tech. B, v.21, p.1528 (2003).

Good luck!

Zz.

Thank u Zz.
What are you doing?
Which field of physics?
I am finishing my PhD dissertation entitled:
"Modeling and Study of Tunnel oxide degradation of EEPROM Cells".
I will defend it on December 17th, 2004.
I've got a lot of work.

It's 7p.m. in Marseilles.
Gotta go home Now.

See u later on.

zeus_the_almighty said:
Thank u Zz.
What are you doing?
Which field of physics?

My career in physics is well-documented in one of my journal entries on here, so there's no need to occupy more space than necessary to bore everyone else. You're welcome to browse it.

Zz.

I know I am six years too late ;-)

But I have the proof, I got it from my professor. He told me exactly the same that you can not find the derivation anywhere, it is kind of tricky and he sat a while until he derived it.

So if you should still need it just contact me.

Hello divB:
I am interested in the derivation.
LydiaAC

Hi diVB and LydiaAC,

Could anyone of you send me a copy? Thanks a lot.

sifangyou4

Hello, I'm studying they Fowler-Nordheim equations now and would love to get the information as well. hopefully every body's still around.

Thanks alot

1. What is Fowler-Nordheim current density?

Fowler-Nordheim current density is a type of field emission current density that describes the flow of electrons from a metal surface under the influence of a strong electric field.

2. What is the significance of Fowler-Nordheim current density?

Fowler-Nordheim current density is an important concept in the field of vacuum electronics, as it allows for the prediction and control of electron emission from metal surfaces. It is also used in the design and analysis of electronic devices such as vacuum tubes and field emission displays.

3. How is Fowler-Nordheim current density derived?

Fowler-Nordheim current density is derived using the Fowler-Nordheim equation, which relates the current density to the electric field strength and the work function of the metal surface. This equation is based on the quantum mechanical tunneling effect.

4. What factors affect the value of Fowler-Nordheim current density?

The value of Fowler-Nordheim current density is affected by several factors, including the electric field strength, work function of the metal surface, and the shape and composition of the metal surface. It is also affected by the temperature and surface roughness of the metal.

5. What are the applications of Fowler-Nordheim current density?

Fowler-Nordheim current density has a wide range of applications in the field of vacuum electronics, including in the design and development of vacuum tubes, field emission displays, and other electronic devices. It is also used in scientific research to study the behavior of electrons in strong electric fields.