Wheel shimmy and wheel wobble difference

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between wheel shimmy and wheel wobble. While some sources may consider them to be the same, the general consensus is that shimmy refers to uncontrolled left and right oscillations while wobble is caused by a bent hub or rim. Axial and radial run out are also mentioned as factors that can contribute to wheel vibrations, and it is suggested to read the work of Robin Sharp for further understanding.
monty37
what is the difference between wheel shimmy and wheel wobble?...in certain books it said they meant the same..

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't recall that I've ever heard the term "wobble" in reference to a wheel. To me, though, it seems to imply movement about a horizontal axis whereas "shimmy" is about a vertical one. Just my first thought, though; I don't really know.

wheels have axial and radial run out. should not exceed 0.030" typically

monty37 said:
what is the difference between wheel shimmy and wheel wobble?...in certain books it said they meant the same..

For my personal definition, I think of "shimmy" as less intense than "wobble". (Although, I don't remember ever using "shimmy" to describe anything.)

monty37 said:

A shimmy is when uncontrolled L/R oscillations in the front wheels cause the vehicle's direction to move left and right rapidly. It can happen in motorcycles, too. The Widowmaker, a 750cc three-cylinder bike was notorious for it: http://classicbikes.actieforum.com/t137-the-widow-maker

A wobble is merely a wheel's hub not being true. Thus, the hub's axis is not perpendicular to the directly of travel. It's often the result of hitting a major pothole or jumping a curb.

Being a mechanic, every wheel vibration gets dubbed as a "shimmy."... but yeah, wobble can be from a bent hub or bent rim, or on occasion someone forgetting to tighten lugnuts (i've seen it before! Yikes!) (so the axis of rotation is not perpendicular to the wheel)... Shimmy is usually from unbalanced wheels or abnormal tred wear; however, for engineering axial runout would be more probable (axis of rotation is not center in the wheel).

That quite cleared it ,can you elaborate on axial runout?

run out is measured with a dial indicator..where it is placed determines the axial or radial run out..place it over the axle ..ie axial or place it on the outside of the wheel on tangent to the wheel radius..ie radial

Could I suggest taking a look at the work of Robin Sharp ( search Robin Sharp+ motorcycle) you will find some good technical papers.

What is the difference between wheel shimmy and wheel wobble?

Wheel shimmy and wheel wobble are both terms used to describe vibrations felt in the steering wheel while driving. While they may seem similar, they are caused by different issues and have different characteristics.

What causes wheel shimmy?

Wheel shimmy is usually caused by an imbalance in the tires or wheels. This can be due to uneven tire wear, a bent wheel, or a damaged tire. It can also be caused by worn or damaged suspension components.

What causes wheel wobble?

Wheel wobble is often caused by a loose or worn wheel bearing, which allows the wheel to move and wobble while driving. It can also be caused by a bent or damaged wheel, or a misaligned or damaged suspension component.

How can I tell if I have wheel shimmy or wheel wobble?

Wheel shimmy usually occurs at higher speeds and is felt in the steering wheel, while wheel wobble is often felt at lower speeds and can be felt in the whole vehicle. Additionally, wheel shimmy is usually a side-to-side movement, while wheel wobble is more of an up and down movement.

Can wheel shimmy and wheel wobble be fixed?

Yes, both wheel shimmy and wheel wobble can be fixed by identifying and addressing the underlying cause. This may involve balancing or replacing tires, repairing or replacing damaged components, or realigning the wheels. It is important to address these issues promptly to ensure safe and comfortable driving.