Digital Camera control software?

In summary: Canon cameras can be controlled by computer via the USB port, using the Canon Remote Capture software, coupled with the open source scripting tool, gphoto2.In summary, the conversation centers around the topic of taking pictures at regular intervals and controlling cameras with software. The idea was sparked by observing the slow collapse and spread of borax/glue slime over a few minutes. There is a discussion about whether cameras have the capability for such control and suggestions for intervalometers, video recording, and remote shutters. It is mentioned that some cameras, such as Canons, can be controlled by a computer through software like Canon Remote Capture and gphoto2.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So I'm taking a bunch of pics at regular intervals to show my class how this borax/glue slime slowly collapse and spread. This happens over the course of a few minutes and it gave me an idea. Is there any software out there that you could hook up your digital camera to and have the software take pictures with at a regular interval?

I highly doubt cameras were ever built with the ability to have such control handed over through the usual ports that you use to download pics off the camera. My only experience is with astronomy cameras, which obviously were built to have total control taken by a computer. The interwebs have amazed me before though... anyone ever heard of anything like that?

DISCUSS!

P.S. If anyone tells me to use a webcam, I will eat your soul.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
Is there any software out there that you could hook up your digital camera...
Am I going to have to explain the difference between hardware and software to you?

russ_watters said:
Am I going to have to explain the difference between hardware and software to you?

Doh! no one saw that...

Wait, it's pretty clear what I meant :P

Last edited:
You want an intervalometer.

If you want to actually get into the camera's firmware, there's CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit) for Canon cameras. I'm unaware of anything for other brands.

pantaz said:

If you want to actually get into the camera's firmware, there's CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit) for Canon cameras. I'm unaware of anything for other brands.

oooo that's pretty cool! I have an HP though :( The camera for losers. That's pretty sweet though.

Does your camera have a time-lapse mode?

Can your camera record a video? You can process the video later [with, e.g., Virtualdub] to change the playback rate or else selectively keep frames.

You can try to build a remote shutter. Although the following describes a Canon camera, something similar may work for other cameras.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Remote-shutter-trigger-for-Canon-Cameras/
(I built my own for a Casio camera... by interfacing to a USB cable. The next step would be to somehow connect it to a PC and control it with software.)

http://www.lucidscience.com/pro-camera%20trigger%20hack-1.aspx (HP)

http://www.philohome.com/remote990/remote990.htm (using LEGO-NXT)

robphy said:

Can your camera record a video? You can process the video later [with, e.g., Virtualdub] to change the playback rate or else selectively keep frames.

I did this very thing for a "home experiment".

You can just video record your object and capture the frames at the desired interval. The software robphy mentioned is free!

pantaz said:

My (old and cheap) Nikon has an interval timer built in (from 30 sec to 30 min between shots, maximum 1800 shots), though you need an external power supply to use it reliably.

Canon SLR's don't have a build in intervalometer, but they are all completely controlable by an extern computer, which includes an intervalometer. So whenever you can set up your laptop you're in business.

Nikon has a range of software for pc control over the camera. I am sure Nikon capture does what you want

1. What is digital camera control software?

Digital camera control software is a computer program that allows users to remotely control and adjust settings on their digital cameras. This includes functions such as changing shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and other settings that affect the quality of photos.

2. How does digital camera control software work?

Digital camera control software works by establishing a connection between the camera and the computer, usually through a USB cable. The software then allows the user to access and change the camera's settings through a user-friendly interface on their computer.

3. What are the benefits of using digital camera control software?

The main benefit of using digital camera control software is the ability to remotely control and adjust camera settings. This is particularly useful for photographers who want to capture shots from a distance or in difficult shooting conditions. It also allows for more precise control over settings, resulting in better quality photos.

4. Is digital camera control software compatible with all cameras?

No, digital camera control software is not compatible with all cameras. It is important to check the compatibility of the software with your specific camera model before purchasing or downloading it. Some software may only work with certain camera brands or models.

5. What are some popular digital camera control software options?

Some popular digital camera control software options include Adobe Lightroom, Nikon Camera Control Pro, Canon EOS Utility, and Sony Imaging Edge. These software programs offer a range of features and compatibility with various camera models.