Discussing new ideas without breaking Forum rules

• Thread starter utesfan100
  • Start date
In summary, an expert in tutoring lab has developed a physical theory that differs from the current ones. However, because of forum rules prohibiting discussing of non-published theories, he is looking for a place where he can have constructive criticism of his work.
utesfan100
I work as staff at a community college (state college starting this year, still getting used to the name change) tutoring lab and have had some ideas on a physical theory. I have shown my ideas to the Physics professor, who asked me what I am still doing here, I should be somewhere where I can discuss my ideas with people qualified to asses them.

I have written up my ideas, including the testable differences with the current theories, and had them returned from two journals without review. It has been submitted to a third.

Forum rules here prohibit the discussion of non-published theories. Where can I go to just have someone provide constructive criticism for my theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose this post is now moot, as the paper has become reference number 420257 at Classical and Quantum [STRIKE]Physics[/STRIKE]Gravity.

It should be interesting to here what the reviewers have to say!

EDIT NOTE: DOH!

Last edited:
Discussing of personal theories isn't allowed anywhere on physicsforums. However, I'm sure a simple google search will bring up forums where such a thing is allowed.

utesfan100 said:
I suppose this post is now moot, as the paper has become reference number 420257 at Classical and Quantum Physics.

It should be interesting to here what the reviewers have to say!
What is "Classical and Quantum Physics"? Nothing comes up in Google and it's not in the master journal list.

Perhaps meant is "Classical and Quantum Gravity", a major journal.

micromass said:
Discussing of personal theories isn't allowed anywhere on physicsforums. However, I'm sure a simple google search will bring up forums where such a thing is allowed.

I am now content waiting for the reviewers opinions.

Had I not received the e-mail between my original post and second post, I would have asked for a recommendation for such a forum. Few forums have the quality of discussion I have witnessed here.

What are some common ways to discuss new ideas on a forum?

There are a few common ways to discuss new ideas on a forum without breaking the rules. One way is to start a new thread specifically for the idea, where members can openly share their thoughts and opinions. Another way is to join existing discussions related to the topic and contribute your ideas in a respectful manner. Some forums also have designated areas for brainstorming and idea-sharing, so be sure to check for those as well.

What should I avoid when discussing new ideas on a forum?

When discussing new ideas on a forum, it is important to avoid personal attacks, insults, and any form of discrimination. It is also important to stay on topic and not go off on tangents that are not related to the idea being discussed. Additionally, avoid sharing any confidential or sensitive information without proper consent.

How can I ensure that my discussions about new ideas are respectful and constructive?

To ensure that your discussions about new ideas are respectful and constructive, make sure to use polite language and tone, even when disagreeing with someone else's opinion. Be open to hearing different perspectives and avoid dismissing or belittling others' ideas. Remember to also provide supporting evidence or rationale for your own ideas to encourage constructive discussions.

What should I do if I disagree with someone else's new idea on a forum?

If you disagree with someone else's new idea on a forum, it is important to express your disagreement in a respectful and constructive manner. Instead of simply stating that you disagree, provide reasons or evidence to support your viewpoint. It is also helpful to ask for clarification on their idea and try to find common ground to build upon.

Are there any resources or guidelines for discussing new ideas on forums?

Many forums have specific guidelines or rules for discussing new ideas, so be sure to check those before posting. Additionally, there are numerous resources available online that provide tips and best practices for engaging in constructive discussions on forums. It may also be helpful to observe how other members discuss new ideas on the forum before participating yourself.