Happy 50th Anniversary - US and John Glenn

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: Like the first moon landing.I don't remember hearing anything about the anniversary of Gagarin's flight either. When Shepard flew, we went to the school auditorium to watch the entire flight. When Glenn flew, we watched the liftoff, and the recovery, but not the flight.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Feb 20, 2012 was the 50th Anniversary of John Glenn's historic orbit of the earth. Flying then orbiting in Friendship 7 (Mercury capsule), Glenn made 2 orbits before re-entering the atmosphere.

"The MA-6 mission was launched February 20, 1962. It made three orbits of the Earth, piloted by astronaut John Glenn, who became the first American to orbit the Earth."
Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Atlas_6

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/glenn50/ [Broken]

Seven years, five months later, on 20 July 1969, Apollo 11 crew members, Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, Jr, landed on the Moon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It was an outstanding experience watching these early missions on B&W TV.

dlgoff said:
It was an outstanding experience watching these early missions on B&W TV.
Dere wasn't no other kind of TV!

It irritates me that this is getting more media attention than Shepard's anniversary did.

I don't remember hearing anything about the anniversary of Gagarin's flight either. When Shepard flew, we went to the school auditorium to watch the entire flight. When Glenn flew, we watched the liftoff, and the recovery, but not the flight. I brought a transistor radio with me to school and between classes I kept up with the progress. I continued to to this for a few more flights, but they become too routine and took too long for me to maintain my interest.

I was so excited I pooped my diapers.

I watched a bunch of documentaries and dramatisations on the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions quite recently, and I was awestruck with the enormity of it all, it's such a great achievement. I wish there was more interest / coverage in the space missions these days, and more space missions!

<3

Ivan Seeking said:
I was so excited I pooped my diapers.

Being in a Mercury capsule on a Atlas rocket would make me poop.

dlgoff said:
Being in a Mercury capsule on a Atlas rocket would make me poop.
Our school had one TV in the auditorium/gym, and we would get to watch each launch, and many of the recoveries. Most kids didn't have a TV at home, and the principal/administrator tried to make sure that we got to watch "important" stuff.

What is the significance of the 50th anniversary of the US and John Glenn?

The 50th anniversary of the US and John Glenn symbolizes a major milestone in American history, as it marks the 50th anniversary of the first American to orbit the Earth. This event was a major achievement in the space race between the US and the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

How did John Glenn's mission impact the US space program?

John Glenn's successful mission not only made him a national hero, but it also boosted the morale of the American people and solidified the US as a major player in the space race. It also opened up opportunities for future space exploration and paved the way for NASA's future missions, including the Apollo program and the moon landing.

What were the key goals of John Glenn's mission?

The primary goal of John Glenn's mission, known as Friendship 7, was to successfully orbit the Earth three times. This was a significant step in the US space program's efforts to catch up to the Soviet Union, who had already successfully launched the first satellite and sent the first human into space.

What challenges did John Glenn face during his mission?

One of the main challenges John Glenn faced during his mission was a faulty heat shield. There was also a concern about the spacecraft's re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere, as it was not known if the heat shield would hold up. However, Glenn and the NASA team were able to overcome these challenges and complete a successful mission.

How did John Glenn's mission impact the future of space exploration?

John Glenn's mission was a major stepping stone in the US space program and inspired future missions and space exploration. It also paved the way for advancements in technology and scientific research that continue to benefit society today. The success of this mission also boosted public interest in space exploration and encouraged more investment in NASA's future missions.