Expert Selection in the Ever-Changing World of Science Forums

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, that's correct. We prefer to count from the emergence of one systemic anomaly to the emergence of the next.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
that we should choose pf's experts of 2004?

if i can i will run in the category of the most un-experienced expert of 2004...
:rofl: o:) :yuck: :biggrin: :tongue: :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, I think it is time again. Greg? Chroot?

How does this work excactly?

We have 5-6 categories, the staff selects 10 members most suitible for the category and then ya'll vote.

Will you include a Philosophy Expert category so we can finally recognize Les Sleeth? I only recently realized he doesn't have a medal and apparently philosophy doesn't qualify for medals?

Moonbear said:
Will you include a Philosophy Expert category so we can finally recognize Les Sleeth? I only recently realized he doesn't have a medal and apparently philosophy doesn't qualify for medals?

I'll get that medal soon *shakes fist* . (perhaps in a couple of years). :grumpy:

But Les Sleeth does deserve a philosophy medal. I do hope he gets it.

Do I get an X-ray X-pert medal? :biggrin:

I tried clicking on the link set up for this but my password was rejected...should I just wait till the 29th ?

I think Gokul...i had the same problem...

marlon

Hmm...so all those Science Advisor and Homework Helper medals are from yearly awards? Did you guys give out multiple awards for those categories last year? PF has only been around since 2003, so how could so many people (all the Advisors and Helpers) win the same category?

Thanks

Sirus said:
Hmm...so all those Science Advisor and Homework Helper medals are from yearly awards? Did you guys give out multiple awards for those categories last year? PF has only been around since 2003, so how could so many people (all the Advisors and Helpers) win the same category?

Thanks

The medals are not accociated with yearly awards

Sirus said:
PF has only been around since 2003,

Actually more like December 2000-ish. We've upgraded the site like 3 times since them which reset some settings like post counts, member join dates, etc. March 2003 was our latest upgrade. I joined sometime around Jan 2001.

Phobos said:
Actually more like December 2000-ish. We've upgraded the site like 3 times since them which reset some settings like post counts, member join dates, etc. March 2003 was our latest upgrade. I joined sometime around Jan 2001.

Yes, that's correct. We prefer to count from the emergence of one systemic anomaly to the emergence of the next. In which case, this is the third version of the Matr--erm--Physics Forums.

1. What causes the change of seasons?

The change of seasons is caused by the tilt of the Earth's axis as it orbits around the sun. This tilt causes different parts of the Earth to receive more or less direct sunlight, resulting in changes in temperature and weather patterns.

2. How do scientists determine the time of the year?

Scientists determine the time of the year by observing the position of the Earth in its orbit around the sun, as well as the amount of daylight and temperature changes. They also use calendars and other tools to track the progression of the seasons.

3. Why do some regions experience different seasons at different times?

Different regions of the Earth experience different seasons at different times due to their location on the Earth's surface and their distance from the equator. The tilt of the Earth's axis also plays a role in the timing of seasons in different regions.

4. Is the time of the year the same all over the world?

No, the time of the year is not the same all over the world. As mentioned before, different regions experience different seasons at different times due to their location on the Earth and the tilt of the Earth's axis.

5. Can the time of the year affect human health?

Yes, the time of the year can affect human health in various ways. For example, seasonal changes can impact allergies, respiratory illnesses, and mental health. Additionally, changes in daylight and temperature can affect our daily routines and overall well-being.