Electric force acting on an electron

In summary: In summation, an electron moving through an electric field experiences an acceleration of 5.4 x 10^3 m/s^2. This acceleration is due to the effects of both the electric field and the gravitational field.
An elctron moving through an electric field experiences an acceleration of 5.4 x 10^3 m/s^2. Find the electric force acting on the electron.

I think the equation F=ma may be used and maybe E=F/qsubo Do I need to use the fundamental charge to find an answer? using the fundamental charge of 1.60x10^-19.

My attempt at a solution is:
F=ma
F=(5.4x10^3)(1.60x10^-19)
F=86.4x10^-16 N/C

is that correct? The fundamental charge was not given in the question. Is this even the correct way to find the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
1126 said:
An elctron moving through an electric field experiences an acceleration of 5.4 x 10^3 m/s^2. Find the electric force acting on the electron.

I think the equation F=ma may be used and maybe E=F/qsubo Do I need to use the fundamental charge to find an answer? using the fundamental charge of 1.60x10^-19.

My attempt at a solution is:
F=ma
F=(5.4x10^3)(1.60x10^-19)
F=86.4x10^-16 N/C

is that correct? The fundamental charge was not given in the question. Is this even the correct way to find the solution?

You have multiplied an acceleration by a charge and claimed the answer has unit N/C - and I think your answer should not be 86.4 x 10-16 perhaps just 8.64 x 10-16 - not that that is correct.

For a start, you were trying to find a force - so the units if the answer would be Newtons alone.

I don't think you need the fundamental charge, but I do think you need the electron mass.

Well, I'm finding the Electric Force which could also be E=F/q. Although, without any mass, I can't solve for F and put it into the equation. You were correct with the 8.64 x 10^-16, I simply calculated it incorrectly.

So, is the way I went about solving this equation correct?

1126 said:
Well, I'm finding the Electric Force which could also be E=F/q. Although, without any mass, I can't solve for F and put it into the equation. You were correct with the 8.64 x 10^-16, I simply calculated it incorrectly.

So, is the way I went about solving this equation correct?

Not really. E is the Electric Field Strength. Did you know the size of the Electric Field Strength?

F = ma seems a much better idea.

I do not know the size of the Electric Field strength. :/ that's why I resorted to the fundamental charge of 1.60 x 10^-19.

1126 said:
I do not know the size of the Electric Field strength. :/ that's why I resorted to the fundamental charge of 1.60 x 10^-19.

I was suggesting that trying to use any formula that involves the Electric Field Strength (E) is not a good idea for the exact reason that you don't know its value.

Perhaps you were distracted by the word Electric in the original question.

An electron may accelerate because is is near the Earth [we could expect 9.8 at best] due the effects of a Gravitational Field.
It may accelerate because it is placed in an electric field.
It may accelerate because it is moving through a magnetic field.

The reason it accelerates in this case is presumably because of an appropriately sized Electric field; but form there F = ma is all you need.

OH! That makes so much more sense! Thank you so much for explaining that! That was so helpful! I really appreciate it! :)

What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between charged particles. It is responsible for many phenomena in the physical world, such as the movement of electrons in an electrical circuit.

How does electric force act on an electron?

Electric force acts on an electron by exerting a force on its charge. This force can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the particles involved. If an electron is in an electric field, it will experience a force in the direction of the field lines.

What factors affect the electric force acting on an electron?

The electric force acting on an electron is affected by the magnitude of the charges involved, the distance between the charges, and the medium in which the charges are located. The force also depends on the direction of the electric field and the orientation of the electron's charge relative to the field.

How is electric force related to electric field?

Electric force and electric field are closely related. Electric force is the force exerted on a charged particle by an electric field. The strength of the electric force is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field and the magnitude of the charge of the particle.

What is the unit of electric force acting on an electron?

The unit of electric force acting on an electron is the Newton (N). It is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) and is defined as the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.