Discrete Math - Modular Arithmetic

In summary, the given implication is true for all values of n≥2 when n is a prime number. This can be understood by observing that in modular arithmetic, the number 0 is equivalent to the modulus itself. Therefore, if n is not a prime number, there may be other values of a and b that satisfy the implication, but are not necessarily equal to 0. The symbol "axb" with a circle around it may represent a special operation defined for this problem.
hammonjj

Homework Statement

For which values of n≥2 does the implication:

axb=0 ⇔ a=0 or b=0

For some Zn (n should be a subscript)

NOTE: For the a x b, the x should be the x that has a circle around it. I didn't see that symbol in the "quick symbols" :)

Homework Equations

I know that this is true when n is a prime (answer in back of book), but I don't understand why. For example, if a=5 and b = 4, then that would also be 0 for n=5, right? Do I just not understand how to do modular arithmetic?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of that symbol? I would have interpreted as a "tensor product" but that doesn't really make sense here. I suspect it is a "special operation" your text is defining for this problem.

hi hammonjj! :smile:
hammonjj said:
For which values of n≥2 does the implication:

axb=0 ⇔ a=0 or b=0

I know that this is true when n is a prime (answer in back of book), but I don't understand why. For example, if a=5 and b = 4, then that would also be 0 for n=5, right?

ah, but 5 = 0 :wink:

1. What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a type of mathematics that deals with integers and their remainders when divided by a chosen number, called the modulus. It is often used in computer science and cryptography, as well as in other areas of mathematics.

2. How is modular arithmetic different from regular arithmetic?

In regular arithmetic, numbers can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided without any restrictions. In modular arithmetic, numbers are only allowed to be added, subtracted, and multiplied within the chosen modulus. Division is only allowed if the divisor is relatively prime to the modulus.

3. What is the purpose of modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic has many practical applications, such as in encryption algorithms, computer graphics, and coding theory. It also allows for efficient calculations with large numbers and can simplify complex mathematical problems.

4. How do you perform calculations using modular arithmetic?

To perform calculations using modular arithmetic, you first choose a modulus, which is typically a prime number. Then, any numbers used in the calculations are reduced to their remainder when divided by the modulus. The resulting calculations are also reduced to their remainder, and this process is repeated until a final answer is obtained.

5. What is the significance of the modulus in modular arithmetic?

The modulus is a crucial element in modular arithmetic as it determines the range of numbers and operations that can be used. Different moduli can lead to different patterns and results, making it a versatile tool in solving various mathematical problems.