Conservation of energy in case of rotating falling rod

In summary, the conversation discusses a vertical rod that is slightly disturbed and begins to fall. The left end slides horizontally on the surface due to the normal force, while the formula for the change in potential energy is 1/2 I w^2 + 1/2 M v^2 for I, v, and w at the center of mass. The conversation also mentions taking into account the work done by the normal force, which is ultimately determined to be zero due to the perpendicular displacement. The conversation concludes by emphasizing the importance of calculating work from forces rather than torques.
Perpendicular
Suppose we have a rod standing vertically and then slightly disturbed so it begins to fall. After it falls through some height or angle assuming a clockwise rotational fall I can see that the left end is sliding on the surface ( for simplicity I'm ignoring friction ) horizontally. Here I assume that I know the change in height although knowing length of rod and angular displacement would work as well.

In that case, would I be right to say that the change in PE equals

1/2 I w^2 + 1/2 M v^2

For I , v and w at the Center of mass ? While that is normally the case for combined translation and rotation, I'm having doubts using that expression here as the leftmost end doesn't seem to rotate about the CM, it's sliding instead. Should I try to take the CM's source of torque ( the normal force on the leftmost point of contact ) and work from there to obtain some results ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Perpendicular! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Perpendicular said:
In that case, would I be right to say that the change in PE equals

1/2 I w^2 + 1/2 M v^2

For I , v and w at the Center of mass ?

Yes, that is the correct formula for KE of a general body.

Keep calm and carry on! o:)

well it is but I'm confused regarding what to do with the normal force N...supposing some angular movement theta I am thinking of expressing the torque due to N as some trigonometric function and then integrating over dtheta to get work done due to torque by normal force.

Then I think the eqn will look like (mgh) + (Work done due to the torque by normal force) = (Rotational energy from CM frame) + (KE w.r.t CM )

Am I right ? Or am I wrong in taking into account the work done by the normal force ?

Hi Perpendicular! :smile:
Perpendicular said:
well it is but I'm confused regarding what to do with the normal force N...supposing some angular movement theta I am thinking of expressing the torque due to N as some trigonometric function and then integrating over dtheta to get work done due to torque by normal force.

Am I right ? Or am I wrong in taking into account the work done by the normal force ?

the normal force is vertical, but the displacement of its point of application is horizontal, so the work done is zero :wink:

(only the friction force would do work, so only the friction force affects the energy equation)
Then I think the eqn will look like (mgh) + (Work done due to the torque by normal force) = (Rotational energy from CM frame) + (KE w.r.t CM )

(mgh) = (Rotational energy from CM frame) + (KE w.r.t CM )

The body rotates clockwise and the normal force applies a clockwise torque which must do some work over the angular displacement, right ? And from the CM frame, where else would you even get torque ?

after all work = torque.angular change as well.

Perpendicular said:
The body rotates clockwise and the normal force applies a clockwise torque which must do some work over the angular displacement, right ?

right :smile:

but … that's only using the component of the normal force that makes the torque

you're ignoring the rest of the normal force (and it's very difficult to work out what that is!)

please calculate work done from forces, not from torques! :wink:

So basically one component of N does work while the other cancels that work out ?

basically, N does no work because it is perpendicular to the displacement!

but if you resolve it into perpendicular components at an angle to N (not 0° or 90°), then yes, the work done by each component cancel out! :smile:

1. What is the conservation of energy in the case of a rotating falling rod?

The conservation of energy in the case of a rotating falling rod refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. In this scenario, the potential energy of the rod as it falls is converted into kinetic energy, while its rotational energy is conserved.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to a rotating falling rod?

The conservation of energy applies to a rotating falling rod because as the rod falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. However, the total energy (potential + kinetic + rotational) remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of energy.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy in a rotating falling rod?

The conservation of energy in a rotating falling rod is affected by factors such as the mass and length of the rod, the speed at which it falls, and the strength of the gravitational force acting upon it. These factors can impact the amount of potential and kinetic energy the rod possesses, and therefore affect the conservation of energy.

4. Can the conservation of energy be violated in the case of a rotating falling rod?

No, the conservation of energy cannot be violated in the case of a rotating falling rod. This principle is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven through numerous experiments and observations. Any apparent violations of this law are likely due to measurement errors or incomplete understanding of the system.

5. How is the conservation of energy in a rotating falling rod related to the concept of work?

The conservation of energy in a rotating falling rod is related to the concept of work in that the work done on the rod (by gravity) results in a change in its energy. As the rod falls, work is done to overcome the force of gravity, and this work is converted into the rod's kinetic and rotational energy. The conservation of energy ensures that the total work done on the rod is equal to its change in energy.