Building a CO2 Thermosyphon: Tips for Compressing Gas to 7MPa Pressure

• Thread starter Avis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to build a rig that can compress CO2 gas to a pressure of roughly 7MPa for a CO2 Thermosyphone project. It is suggested that high pressure cylinders or purchasing CO2 as a liquid and storing it in a refrigerated tank are the most common methods. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a reciprocating machine to pump the liquid. The student involved in the project has a limited budget and is learning from scratch. It is also mentioned that expanding the gas will cool the tank.
Avis
Is there a way to build a rig so that I could compress CO2 gas to apressure of roughly 7MPa?

I am building a CO2 Thermosyphone and need high pressure CO2 in order to get convection to occur.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
At 70b it liquefies at 300K.
http://encyclopedia.airliquide.com/images_encyclopedie/VaporPressureGraph/Carbon_dioxide_Vapor_Pressure.GIF
Are you pulling our leg?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you only need a relatively small amount, high pressure cylinders would be the way to go. If you're an industrial user, purchasing it as a liquid and maintaining it in a refrigerated liquid storage tank is common. The liquid can be pumped by a single stage reciprocating machine.

Talk to your industrial gas supplier to see what's best for you.

Enthalpy said:
At 70b it liquefies at 300K.
http://encyclopedia.airliquide.com/images_encyclopedie/VaporPressureGraph/Carbon_dioxide_Vapor_Pressure.GIF
Are you pulling our leg?

Exactly high pressure will cause CO2 to liquefy thus at roughly 31 degrees it will change state and evaporate.

I am a student and I am building this as part of my degree project. We do not need much. We have a very limited budget. I haven't had any experience in doing this so I'm basically learning from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy CO2 ice cold at 1atm, enclose it (with free volume!) cold at 1atm and warm it enclosed to room temperature so it gets liquid+vapour at 70b, use it.

You're aware that expanding the gas will cool it and the rest of the tank as well, are you?

1. What is a CO2 thermosyphon and how does it work?

A CO2 thermosyphon is a system that uses carbon dioxide gas to transfer heat from one location to another. It works by compressing the gas to a high pressure, which increases its temperature and allows it to absorb heat from the surrounding environment. The gas is then released at a lower pressure and temperature, effectively transferring the heat to the desired location.

2. Why is it important to compress the gas to 7MPa pressure?

Compressing the gas to 7MPa pressure is crucial for the proper functioning of the CO2 thermosyphon. This pressure is necessary to raise the gas temperature enough to effectively absorb heat from the environment. If the pressure is too low, the gas will not be able to transfer enough heat, and the system will not work efficiently.

3. What are some tips for compressing gas to 7MPa pressure?

There are several important tips to keep in mind when compressing gas to 7MPa pressure for a CO2 thermosyphon. These include using high-quality compression equipment, ensuring proper sealing of all connections, and monitoring the temperature and pressure closely to prevent any issues or malfunctions. It is also important to follow all safety precautions and guidelines for handling high-pressure gases.

4. What are the potential risks and hazards associated with building a CO2 thermosyphon?

Building a CO2 thermosyphon can involve working with high-pressure gases, which can be dangerous if not handled properly. The main risks and hazards include potential leaks or explosions due to incorrect pressure or temperature, as well as the risk of personal injury from mishandling the equipment. It is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines to minimize these risks.

5. Can a CO2 thermosyphon be used for other purposes besides heat transfer?

While the primary purpose of a CO2 thermosyphon is heat transfer, it can also be used for other purposes, such as refrigeration or air conditioning. By controlling the pressure and temperature of the compressed gas, the thermosyphon can be used to cool a specific area or object. However, it is important to note that the design and setup may be different for these alternative uses, and it is essential to have a thorough understanding of the principles behind the system before attempting to use it for anything other than heat transfer.