How many times will the block cross the rough patch

In summary, the problem involves a 7.50kg block sliding down a frictionless ramp of height 2.25m at a velocity of 1.50 m/s. It encounters a rough patch of length 2.5m where it is acted upon by a force of 3N. The block then continues to the other side of the ramp which is angled at 35 degrees. The goal is to find the number of times the block crosses the rough patch. To solve this, we need to use the equations W = ΔE = Ef - Ei, W = FdCosθ, KE = 1/2mv^2, and PE = mgh. By setting Ef = 0 and using W
JNason11
A 7.50kg block slides down a frictionless ramp of height 2.25m at a velocity of 1.50 m/s. it crosses a rough patch that is 2.5m long and exerts a force of 3N. It then continues to the other side of the ramp which is angled at 35 degrees(I don't think this matters b/c it is frictionless). How can I find how many times the block will cross the rough patch? I tried a few equations which didn't make sense...

W=ΔE=Ef-Ei
W=FdCosθ
KE=1/2mv^2
PE=mgh

I tried to find the work being done and used Fdcos180 because the patch acts against the direction of motion so it would be -Fd where F=3N and d=2.5m.
Then I set Ef-Ei=W and then it started to fall apart. I am just not sure how to approach this problem I guess... Ef would be 0 if we are looking for how many times it crosses the rough patch right? so then -Ei=-Fd, but I just am having trouble relating things... help would be appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
JNason11 said:
Ef would be 0 if we are looking for how many times it crosses the rough patch right? so then -Ei=-Fd

OK, but what does d represent here: the distance traveled in going once across the rough patch or the total distance traveled on the rough patch before coming to rest?

going once across the rough patch

Does going once across the patch reduce the mechanical energy E all the way to zero? If not, then you cannot let Ef = 0 after one crossing.

We are supposed to find the total work done and then find the work done by 1 crossing and divide total/1 crossing to find the number of crossings across the frictional surface. It will cross more than once, i am sure of this because everything else in the system is frictionless

The total work will bring the object to rest. The total work is determined by the total distance D that the object travels on the rough patch. How would you express the total work in terms of F and D? How would that total work relate to the initial energy?

Here I attached the problem to make it easier. it is #3

Attachments

• HW Set 12 F12.pdf
    40 KB · Views: 274
You are close to getting the answer. Let D be the total distance that the block travels across the rough patch. (It doesn't matter that this total distance might be broken up into several trips across the patch.) How would you write the total work done by the force F in terms of D and how would that work relate to the initial and final energies?

Once you solve for D, you can figure out how many times it crosses the patch and where it finally comes to rest.

I guess I am just not getting it...

What are the possibilities for where the block comes to rest?
How is its energy distributed between KE and PE in those areas?
In what ways does it lose total energy?
How rapidly (J/m) does it lose energy crossing the rough area?

You know that the total work done by the friction force F is W = -FD where D is the total distance traveled over the rough patch. (If the object traveled 5 and a half times over the patch before coming to rest, then D would equal 5.5d.) You also know that the object ends up with zero mechanical energy when it finally comes to rest somewhere on the rough patch. So, use your equation W = ΔE and see if you can find D. From that you can find the number of times it crosses the rough patch.

1. How do you calculate the number of times a block will cross a rough patch?

The number of times a block will cross a rough patch can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the length of the rough patch. For example, if the block travels 100 meters and the rough patch is 25 meters long, the block will cross the rough patch 4 times.

2. What factors affect the number of times a block will cross a rough patch?

The number of times a block will cross a rough patch can be affected by the length and width of the rough patch, as well as the speed and direction of the block's movement. Other factors such as the shape and texture of the block and the surface of the rough patch may also play a role.

3. Is there a way to predict the exact number of times a block will cross a rough patch?

While it is possible to calculate an estimated number of times a block will cross a rough patch, it is difficult to predict the exact number due to the complexity of the system and the potential for unexpected variables. Conducting experiments and gathering data can help improve the accuracy of predictions.

4. Can the number of times a block crosses a rough patch be manipulated?

Yes, the number of times a block crosses a rough patch can be manipulated by changing the length or width of the rough patch, altering the speed or direction of movement, or adjusting other factors such as the shape and texture of the block or the surface of the rough patch.

5. Why is it important to know how many times a block will cross a rough patch?

Knowing how many times a block will cross a rough patch can help in understanding the behavior and movement of objects on uneven surfaces. This information can also be useful in engineering and design, as well as in predicting and preventing potential hazards or accidents.