Asperger's dropped from revised diagnosis manual

• Medical
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manual
In summary, the new manual (DSM-5) adds the term "autism spectrum disorder," which already is used by many experts in the field. Asperger's disorder will be dropped and incorporated under that umbrella diagnosis. The new category will include kids with severe autism, who often don't talk or interact, as well as those with milder forms.
Jimmy Snyder
Yahoo said:
The new manual (DSM-5) adds the term "autism spectrum disorder," which already is used by many experts in the field. Asperger's disorder will be dropped and incorporated under that umbrella diagnosis. The new category will include kids with severe autism, who often don't talk or interact, as well as those with milder forms.

Yahoo

If the quote is correct, then Asperger's is not the only disorder to be dropped, but autism as well. All are to become Autism Spectrum Disorder. I wonder what the diagnostic criteria will be so as to include such a wide spectrum under a single label.

Biology news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder said:
Yahoo

If the quote is correct, then Asperger's is not the only disorder to be dropped, but autism as well. All are to become Autism Spectrum Disorder. I wonder what the diagnostic criteria will be so as to include such a wide spectrum under a single label.
I was wondering the same when I read a headline the other day.

In some ways it makes sense, but then I would expect there to be stages from mild to severe. Treatment or remediation is very different depending the grade, and often what works for one doesn't work for others.

Astronuc said:
Treatment or remediation is very different depending the grade, and often what works for one doesn't work for others.

The DSM isn't and shouldn't be used for treatment anyway, so that's not a problem.

The DSM offers no advice on treatment, only on diagnosis. Currently, there is a diagnosis for Asperger's, one for Autism, and none for Autism Spectrum Disorder. However, in practice, neurologists are diagnosing people with ASD. I don't know if there is some other source for such a diagnosis, or if it's a case of "I can't define ASD, but I know it when I see it." In any case, the new DSM will have no diagnosis for Asperger's, none for Autism, and a single one for ASD, one which includes Asperger's and Autism. I'm burning with curiosity to find out what it is.

micromass said:
The DSM isn't and shouldn't be used for treatment anyway, so that's not a problem.
It provides a diagnosis. If the diagnosis is not specific, then what? That is the problem.

I have little confidence in 'the system' based on first hand experience with my children and myself.

Astronuc said:
It provides a diagnosis. If the diagnosis is not specific, then what? That is the problem.

I have little confidence in 'the system' based on first hand experience with my children and myself.

The treatment of a problem shouldn't even depend too much on the diagnosis. I mean: it's not because two people get the same diagnosis now, that they should get the same treatment. The treatment of OCD that works for me might not work at all with another person. The psychiatrist should look at what the person says, and not so much at what the diagnosis says.

In my opinion, getting a diagnosis is close to useless. I'm not very much in favor of psychiatrists basing their entire treatment on just a diagnosis. Whether you are diagnosed correctly is completely irrelevant as long as you get the correct treatment.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Yahoo

I bought the DSM-IV years ago and it was an expensive book. I'm curious about how all the diagnoses have evolved, but I'm not sure I am willing to drop the cost of it to find out. Maybe after a year or so it'll be cheap on e-Bay.

The DSM-IV criteria for a diagnosis of autism are available on the net here:
DSM-IV autism.
Hopefully, the DSM-5 criteria for a diagnosis of ASD will show up on the net too.

What is Asperger's and why was it dropped from the revised diagnosis manual?

Asperger's is a developmental disorder that is characterized by difficulties in social interaction and communication, as well as restrictive and repetitive patterns of behavior. It was dropped from the revised diagnosis manual, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), because it was deemed to be too similar to autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The decision was made to consolidate all forms of ASD under one diagnosis.

What was the previous diagnosis criteria for Asperger's and how does it differ from the new criteria for ASD?

The previous diagnosis criteria for Asperger's included significant impairment in social interaction and communication, as well as restricted and repetitive behaviors. The new criteria for ASD includes these same symptoms, but also takes into account the severity of these symptoms and how they impact an individual's daily functioning. This change in criteria allows for a more accurate and individualized diagnosis.

Will individuals who were previously diagnosed with Asperger's now be diagnosed with ASD?

Yes, individuals who were previously diagnosed with Asperger's will now receive a diagnosis of ASD. This change does not necessarily mean that their symptoms have changed, but rather that their diagnosis is now under the umbrella term of ASD.

What impact will the removal of Asperger's have on individuals and families?

This change may have some impact on individuals and families who were previously diagnosed with Asperger's. Some may feel that their identity and community has been taken away, while others may feel that they now have a clearer understanding of their diagnosis and can receive more appropriate treatment and support.

What does this change mean for future research and treatment of ASD?

This change allows for a more standardized and comprehensive approach to studying and treating ASD. It also allows for better understanding and identification of subtypes within the autism spectrum, which could lead to more targeted and effective interventions for individuals with ASD.