Work Energy/Momentum Problem - Why is there a loss of energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving energy loss and conservation of angular momentum. The type of collision at point B is uncertain and the red-circled term represents the angular momentum due to the horizontal component of the velocity at time t2. The conversation also touches on the concept of energy being lost in an inelastic collision and how it is transferred into heat and sound. Further clarification is provided on the meaning of the red-circled term and its correspondence to the vertical component of the velocity.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is the question with the solution
T85sN.png

x43qu.png

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, where is the energy loss going into? What causes the system to lose energy?

Secondly what is the term I circled in red? The one with 0.22948, where does that come from?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. What type of collision takes place at point B? Elastic or inelastic?

2. For the red circled term, do you understand the term before it? The red circled term is similar. What principle is being expressed by the equation that contains these terms?

TSny said:
1. What type of collision takes place at point B? Elastic or inelastic?

2. For the red circled term, do you understand the term before it? The red circled term is similar. What principle is being expressed by the equation that contains these terms?

1. I'm not sure if it's elastic or inelastic, don't you need the coefficient of restitution to know? Which means you need to know the initial and final velocity. In this case we are missing e and the final velocity.

2. The term before it is the angular momentum at B about the center of mass right? I see it on the diagram on the bottom left corner of the solution. But I don't see the other term any where on the diagram. The principle is conservation of angular momentum.

theBEAST said:
1. I'm not sure if it's elastic or inelastic, don't you need the coefficient of restitution to know? Which means you need to know the initial and final velocity. In this case we are missing e and the final velocity.
The ball is assumed to remain in contact with the corner at B during the collision at B. If the collision were elastic, it would bounce off B.
2. The term before it is the angular momentum at B about the center of mass right? I see it on the diagram on the bottom left corner of the solution. But I don't see the other term any where on the diagram. The principle is conservation of angular momentum.
If you study the term before the red-circled term, you can see that it represents just the part of the angular momentum due to the horizontal component of the velocity of the center of the ball at time t2.

TSny said:
The ball is assumed to remain in contact with the corner at B during the collision at B. If the collision were elastic, it would bounce off B.

If you study the term before the red-circled term, you can see that it represents just the part of the angular momentum due to the horizontal component of the velocity of the center of the ball at time t2.

1. Alright so essentially we have energy lost because it is an inelastic collision. Some energy goes into heat and some into sound right?

2. OHHHHHHHHHHH I think I got it. I think you mean vertical component of the velocity right. Because sin6.892 of the momentum is the vertical component. That would explain why it is negative since r x (mv) is into the page and thus clockwise.

Also thanks a lot for you help!

theBEAST said:
1. Alright so essentially we have energy lost because it is an inelastic collision. Some energy goes into heat and some into sound right?
Right.
I think you mean vertical component of the velocity right. Because sin6.892 of the momentum is the vertical component. That would explain why it is negative since r x (mv) is into the page and thus clockwise.
Well, I was speaking of the term before the red-circled term. But, yes, the term that you circled would correspond to the vertical component. Good!

1. What causes a loss of energy in work energy/momentum problems?

There are several factors that can cause a loss of energy in work energy/momentum problems, including friction, air resistance, and heat transfer. These external forces act against the motion of an object, reducing its kinetic energy and causing a loss of energy.

2. How does friction contribute to a loss of energy in work energy/momentum problems?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object, and it is present in almost all real-world situations. As an object moves, it experiences frictional forces that convert some of its kinetic energy into heat energy, resulting in a loss of energy.

3. Can air resistance affect the energy of an object in work energy/momentum problems?

Yes, air resistance can also cause a loss of energy in work energy/momentum problems. When an object moves through the air, it experiences a drag force that acts in the opposite direction of its motion. This force reduces the object's speed and, therefore, its kinetic energy.

4. What role does heat transfer play in the loss of energy in work energy/momentum problems?

Heat transfer occurs when there is a difference in temperature between two objects in contact. In work energy/momentum problems, heat transfer can occur due to friction or air resistance, resulting in a loss of energy as the object's kinetic energy is converted into heat energy.

5. How can we minimize the loss of energy in work energy/momentum problems?

The loss of energy in work energy/momentum problems can be minimized by reducing the effects of external forces such as friction and air resistance. This can be achieved by using smoother surfaces, streamlining objects, and reducing the speed of the object. In some cases, energy can also be conserved by using more efficient methods of transferring energy, such as using rolling instead of sliding motion.