Hamiltonian for hydrogen atom?

In summary, the radiation term is not included in the Hamiltonian for the hydrogen atom because it does not describe a force which is given by values of r and p.
cragar
When I write down the Hamiltonian for the hydrogen atom why do we not include a radiation term or a radiation reaction term? If I had an electron moving in a B field it seems like I would need to have these terms included.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you see a magnetic field? The electron "moves"*, but the nucleus does not (if you reduced the 2-body problem to a 1-body problem).
"Classical" quantum mechanics (no quantum field theory) cannot include couplings to external radiation, or has to use effective models for that, so this is neglected in the derivation.

Edit:
*well, not really, but at least it has a wave function which has expressions similar to a velocity

Last edited:
Generally, to begin with, the external magnetic field is ignored. You can add a magnetic field which interacts with the magnetic moment of the atom. This gives rise to the Zeeman effect, the splitting of energy levels based on the z-component of the total angular momentum (usually denoted m).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeeman_effect

I was just thinking that the electron was moving into its own B field that it created.
Dont they have something like this in E&M?

No, you don't get this.
In quantum field theory, there is some sort of self-interaction, but that cannot be explained with a classical electromagnetic field.

I was just thinking that the electron was moving into its own B field that it created.
Dont they have something like this in E&M?
Only if the particle was extended in space. Then one part of the particle could move in the field of another part. However, there is not much evidence for such structured electron and it is difficult even to formulate such theory consistently, so most usually electrons are assumed as points, both in classical electrodynamics and in quantum theory.

When I write down the Hamiltonian for the hydrogen atom why do we not include a radiation term or a radiation reaction term?

Because the Hamiltonian description is well suited for forces which are given by values of r and p. Radiation reaction force [itex]k\dot \mathbf{a}[/itex] does not fit into this framework - it contains second derivative of momentum.

If I had an electron moving in a B field it seems like I would need to have these terms included.

If it is external magnetic field (due to magnet), then one can include it via vector potential or terms like [itex]-\boldsymbol{\mu}\cdot\mathbf B[/itex] into the Hamiltonian. However, there is not much reason to include self-interaction of electron with its own field in the Hamiltonian. For example, most quantum-chemical calculations never use such terms and give quite good results (see Slater, Solid State and Molecular Theory: A Scientific Biography).

ok thanks for all of your responses. If I had a relativistic electron moving in a B field would I then have a radiation term? The electron is a free particle moving through an external B field.

In relativistic theory, for electron in external magnetic field, I would use

[tex]
H = \sqrt{(\mathbf p - \frac{q}{c}\mathbf A)^2c^2 + m^2c^4}
[/tex]
with [itex]\mathbf A[/itex] such that give the magnetic field in question.

andrien said:
see the page 747 from jackson,here
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=8qHCZjJHRUgC&pg=PA747&dq=radiation+reaction+jackson&hl=en#v=onepage&q=radiation%20reaction%20jackson&f=false
where it is stated that only for time greater than τ which is of the order of 10-24
,radiative effects become important.it is only important when motion changes suddenly in that much time which is of course not the case.
for hydrogen atom the only time parameter we can see is of order of10-10/107(bohr radius/velocity).velocity is only some approximate idea here.It is of order of 10-17,which is far from 10-24.

andrien said:
It is of order of 10-17,which is far from 10-24.
This shows that radiative corrections are small.

mfb said:
This shows that radiative corrections are small.
sure,it shows it.the parameter τ is the only parameter in classical electrodynamics which is relevant for considering whether radiative corrections should be included or not.

1. What is the Hamiltonian for hydrogen atom?

The Hamiltonian for hydrogen atom is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of the atom. It includes the kinetic energy of the electron and the potential energy due to its interaction with the nucleus.

2. How is the Hamiltonian operator derived for the hydrogen atom?

The Hamiltonian operator is derived using the principles of quantum mechanics and the Schrödinger equation. It takes into account the mass and charge of the electron and the nucleus, as well as the distance between them.

3. What is the role of the Hamiltonian in solving the Schrödinger equation for hydrogen atom?

The Hamiltonian is a crucial component in solving the Schrödinger equation for hydrogen atom. It provides the necessary information about the energy states and wavefunctions of the electron in the atom.

4. Can the Hamiltonian for hydrogen atom be used to calculate other properties of the atom?

Yes, the Hamiltonian for hydrogen atom can be used to calculate other properties such as the ionization energy, the electron's angular momentum, and the energy levels of the atom. It is a fundamental tool in understanding the behavior of atoms.

5. How does the Hamiltonian for hydrogen atom differ from that of other atoms?

The Hamiltonian for hydrogen atom differs from that of other atoms due to the presence of only one electron and one proton. This results in a simpler form of the Hamiltonian, making the hydrogen atom a special case in quantum mechanics.