Find Resistance b/w 2 Ends: Resnik & Halliday, Vol2, Pg723, Fig31-41

• Thread starter Aditya3003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the person is struggling to find the resistance between two ends in a circuit and is only familiar with finding total resistance in series or parallel. They have attached an image and reference a specific page and figure in a textbook. They are advised to look into the Y-Delta transformation and to use formulas for resistors in series and parallel.
Aditya3003

Homework Statement

I need to find to resistance and am having problem as I do not know KCL's. All I know is the total resistance in series or parallel. I have attached the image. Find resistance b/w the 2 ends.

Homework Equations

If you have Resnik & Halliday open page 723(Vol2). and see figure 31-41. My question is same with r = 20ohm & R=10ohm.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
Aditya3003 said:

Homework Statement

I need to find to resistance and am having problem as I do not know KCL's. All I know is the total resistance in series or parallel. I have attached the image. Find resistance b/w the 2 ends.

Homework Equations

If you have Resnik & Halliday open page 723(Vol2). and see figure 31-41. My question is same with r = 20ohm & R=10ohm.

If you don't know the basic circuit laws it's going to be difficult to proceed; All you can do is try to apply "canned" formulas. Hint: Look up "Y-Delta transformation".

One resistor has zero current inside due to symmetry, you can remove it and use your formulas for resistors in series/parallel afterwards.

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or device opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is affected by the material's properties and physical dimensions.

2. How is resistance calculated?

The formula for calculating resistance is R = V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. This is known as Ohm's law.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel resistors?

In a series circuit, resistors are connected in a line, so that the current flows through one resistor and then the next. In a parallel circuit, the resistors are connected side by side, so that the current splits and flows through each resistor separately.

4. How do I find the resistance between two ends using Resnik and Halliday's method?

To find the resistance between two ends using Resnik and Halliday's method, you will need to use the circuit diagram in Figure 31-41 on page 723 of Volume 2. You will also need to know the values of the resistors in the circuit and apply the principles of series and parallel resistors to calculate the total resistance.

5. Why is resistance important in electricity?

Resistance plays a crucial role in controlling the flow of electricity in a circuit. It allows us to regulate the amount of current and voltage in a circuit, which is essential for the proper functioning of electronic devices. Additionally, resistance is also used in devices like resistors and potentiometers to convert electrical energy into heat or light.