Methods people use to find internships?

• Thread starter DmytriE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internships
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for finding internships in a specific field and area. The person is seeking advice on where to start and asks for suggestions for companies that offer internships in Electrical Engineering. Cisco is mentioned as an example of a company with a full-featured internship program and the conversation also suggests looking at large electronics companies in the DC area or nearby high-tech areas.
DmytriE
Before people start telling me to Google the answer I was wondering what other methods people use to find internships? I would really like to get some experience in my field so I can decide whether I would like to continue pursuing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

DmytriE said:
Before people start telling me to Google the answer I was wondering what other methods people use to find internships? I would really like to get some experience in my field so I can decide whether I would like to continue pursuing this.
Are you in college or high school? Have you talked to your school guidance counselor?

You should look at the relevant companies in your area to see if they offer internships. Look in the employment section of their websites. You can also call their employment contact to ask them on the phone if they offer internships, and during what times of the year they are available.

I am in college in the DC area. I sometimes become overwhelmed by not knowing where to start. What are the big companies that offer internships in Electrical Engineering?

DmytriE said:
I am in college in the DC area. I sometimes become overwhelmed by not knowing where to start. What are the big companies that offer internships in Electrical Engineering?

Well, Cisco for example has a very full-featured internship program:

http://tools.cisco.com/search/JSP/s...en&country=US&thissection=f&accessLevel=Guest

Are there large electronics companies in the DC area? Or in nearby high-tech areas?

1. What are the most effective methods for finding internships?

The most effective methods for finding internships include networking, using online job boards and search engines, attending career fairs and events, reaching out to companies directly, and utilizing university career services.

2. Are internships only available for certain majors or fields?

No, internships are available in a variety of fields and industries. Some may be more common in certain majors or fields, but it is possible to find internships in almost any area of interest.

3. How far in advance should I start looking for internships?

It is recommended to start looking for internships at least 6-9 months in advance, especially for competitive positions. However, it is never too late to start searching and applying for internships.

4. Can I apply for multiple internships at the same time?

Yes, you can apply for multiple internships at the same time. It is important to keep track of the application deadlines and prioritize your top choices.

5. Do internships always lead to job offers?

While internships can be a great way to gain experience and make connections, they do not always lead to job offers. However, internships can be a valuable addition to your resume and can help you stand out in future job applications.