Dinosaurs died out due to fire 66 million years ago.

In summary: The article discusses the idea that the Chicxulub impact caused a huge outflow of lava. I vaguely remember this beingh discussed during my university geology studies. I can't remember the validity of the idea or what the conclusions were.
Andre
That sounds pretty obvious. But it wasn't because of the interpretation of evidence. The charcoal / soot required as evidence was not available.

In a nutshell.

Robertson et al 2013 explain that it was merely a misinterpretation. The charcoal is simply dilluted by the debris from the Chicxulub impact. They state that when the ejecta reentered the atmosphere it, it caused intense radiation that set most if not all vegatation on at fire on a global scale

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
It's 65, not 66 mya

chiropter said:
It's 65, not 66 mya

Actually: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-21379024

The article suggests that it really is 66Mya with remarkable accuracy (+/- 11kya).

Due to a paywall I can't access the article mentioned in the OP but from the abstract:

" Preliminary modeling showed that the reentry of ejecta would have caused a global infrared (IR) pulse sufficient to ignite global fires within a few hours of the Chicxulub impact."

Is this referring to a previous paper? Is the global firestorm a well established idea?

This theory goes back at least 20 years.

http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/37/12/1147.short

I also saw a documentary of the global fires theory years ago.

JesseC said:
Actually: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-21379024

The article suggests that it really is 66Mya with remarkable accuracy (+/- 11kya).

Due to a paywall I can't access the article mentioned in the OP but from the abstract:

" Preliminary modeling showed that the reentry of ejecta would have caused a global infrared (IR) pulse sufficient to ignite global fires within a few hours of the Chicxulub impact."

Is this referring to a previous paper? Is the global firestorm a well established idea?

I think the global firestorm is a pretty well established idea, a natural consequence of a bolide that big. I suppose the angle and speed of impact are also important, and given the evidence for global fires they are revising those estimates to account for the fires, and vice versa.

I downloaded the Robertson et al. 2013 article and they do not mention 66 million years ago.

Thanks for the link to the Science (BBC) paper- it's very recent and a nice discussion of the context of the K-T boundary extinctions. http://www.sciencemag.org/content/339/6120/684.full.pdf

Those poor kids who were riding the dinosaurs at the time... I hope they got away :frown:

the real reason dinosaurs became extinct:
209795_f520.jpg

rbj said:

209795_f520.jpg
:rofl:

rbj said:

209795_f520.jpg

Got some flame, bro? Woah, you dropped it, stamp that out man! &^%$#!

chiropter said:

Thanks for the link to the Science (BBC) paper- it's very recent and a nice discussion of the context of the K-T boundary extinctions. http://www.sciencemag.org/content/339/6120/684.full.pdf

unfortunately, that site also requires a signup subscription too :(

Dave

capcom1983 said:

hahhaha

Impact of an asteroid, perhaps the most widely accepted theory at the moment. It is suggested that a meteorite hit the Earth at the end of the Cretaceous, causing huge quantities of material to be thrown into the atmosphere, reducing the light, decreasing atmospheric temperature and preventing plants from photosynthesising. Without food herbivores would be unable to survive, and consequently the carnivore dinosaurs would no food to eat, hence their extinction.

I wonder if that was before or after the caterpillar infestation ? ...

There has also been a suggestion that caterpillars ate all the plants, leaving nothing for the herbivores to munch.

and this one ...

There was a decrease in sexual activity, and not enough dinosaurs were born.

leads me to my personal favourite theory ... that all the female dinosaurs across ALL species revolted against the males by saying " not tonite dear, I have a headache"

Dave

PS ... further contemplation leads me to 2 other theories concerning a decrease in sexual activity...

Referring to the previously posted cartoon...

theory 1 ... that the smoking caused impotence and or ...
theory 2 ... they were really smoking whacky baccy and that was more fun than procreation

Sorry guys ... just couldn't resist :)
all in fun ( life is too short to take it seriously all the time :) )

Last edited:
Volcanism.
There is evidence that the formation of the Deccan Traps in India, took place at the same time as the dinosaur extinction. Excessive volcanic activity can have significant effects on the climate. The Deccan Traps erupted on a very large scale, and therefore could have had a major impact on the atmosphere at that time. This theory is the main alternative to a meteorite impact, and it can explain many of the associated observations. This includes the shocked quartz and the glassy spherules, see The Impact theory for details of these observations

This one is actually interesting ...
Not so much as an alternative theory, but that the Chicxulub impact caused this huge outflow of lava. I vaguely remember this beingh discussed during my university geology studies. I can't remember the validity of the idea or what the conclusions were.
One could imagine that the major Chicxulub impact caused a huge pulse through the Earth and that pulse resulted in the Deccan Traps eruptions ( their location being close to the opposite side of the earth, where the pulse energy would come to a focus).

Dave

Were the Deccan Traps at the antipodal point of the Chicxulub impact? Based on the post above I would assume so. Is there a reference for this.

The kind of junk-science stuff I found, non-peer reviewed discussions.:

solvingthemajorextinctions[dot]com appears to be a pet project site.

However this is not my field.

Last edited:
We have discussed the antipodal effect here. Apparantly, the dating of the Deccan Traps does not support it

What evidence supports the theory that dinosaurs died out due to fire 66 million years ago?

One major piece of evidence is the discovery of a thin layer of ash and soot found in rock layers around the world, known as the K-T boundary. This layer contains high levels of iridium, an element that is rare on Earth but more commonly found in meteorites. This suggests that a large asteroid or comet struck the Earth, causing widespread wildfires and releasing toxic gases into the atmosphere, ultimately leading to the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Did all dinosaurs die out due to fire 66 million years ago?

No, not all dinosaurs died out at this time. Some smaller dinosaur species, as well as many other animal and plant species, survived the event and continued to evolve into the species we see today.

How did dinosaurs die out due to fire 66 million years ago affect the Earth's ecosystem?

The extinction of the dinosaurs had a major impact on the Earth's ecosystem. With the loss of these large and dominant species, there was a shift in the balance of ecosystems, allowing for other species to thrive and evolve. This event also opened up ecological niches for new species to emerge, leading to the diversification of life on Earth.

Could dinosaurs have survived the fire 66 million years ago if it were not for the asteroid impact?

It is possible that some dinosaurs may have survived the wildfires caused by the asteroid impact. However, the catastrophic changes to the Earth's environment, such as the release of toxic gases and drastic shifts in climate, would have made it very difficult for dinosaurs to survive and reproduce in the aftermath of the event.

Are there any other theories about the extinction of dinosaurs besides the fire 66 million years ago?

Yes, there are other theories about the extinction of dinosaurs, such as prolonged volcanic activity, climate change, and disease. However, the theory of an asteroid impact causing widespread fires and environmental changes is currently the most widely accepted explanation based on the available evidence.