Calculating Magnet Field for Solenoid and Horseshoe Magnet: What Am I Missing?

In summary, an electromagnet requires a magnetic field, and the strength of the field is dependent on the number of turns of the coil, the size of the coil, and the distance between the coil and the object being magnetized.
Confused about electromagnet??

How do i calculate the magnet field for an Solenoid with an ironcore with x windings and y amps..

The same for an horseshoe magnet, where there is an air gap about 2mm..

For some reason does my calculation not make sense..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
215 said:
For some reason does my calculation not make sense..
It would be easier to look for a mistake if you added your calculations here.

ohh sorry my bad..

I have choosen to use 1A as constant.

For the Horseshoe magnet

B = [itex]\frac{i*n*µ0*µr}{lj+2vµr+2xµr}[/itex]

lj = length of the ironcore = 0.034+0.011+0.034
µ0 = 4pi *10^-7
x= length of one of the airgaps
v= length of the other airgap
µr = Relative permability = µ0(1+XM)=5000
I = 1
For the solonoid

B = µrH

H=[itex]\frac{N*I}{l}[/itex]
l = 0.065
I = 1

I know B = 0.4
I've been trying to solve for N, windings, and for the solonoid do i get 22, and for the horseshoe do i get 1688..

215 said:
I've been trying to solve for N, windings, and for the solonoid do i get 22, and for the horseshoe do i get 1688..
And where is the issue with those solutions?

I don't understand the horseshoe geometry with multiple (4?) air gaps.

looks like a homework problem. move to other thread??

Homework... Well, is more like a project.. I am trying to build an Electromagnet which capable off pulling a certain amount of Newton..
I done conversion from Newton to Tesla...
Now do i have define the tesla value..

http://snag.gy/oL7D5.jpg

horseshoe magnet will have only one air gap. how come you have 4? please draw the detailed diagram of the magnet.

Here is a picture of the one I've been working with
http://snag.gy/A7zJd.jpg

There is an airgap between each leg, each leg has to pull a piece of metal with 3N, in the distance of 2 mm, i am quite unsure about the next one, but would the airgap between the the metal pieces have something to say?

Last edited:

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a wire. It has a magnetic field that can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity.

2. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by creating a magnetic field when electricity flows through a wire. This magnetic field is created by the alignment of the electrons in the wire, and it can be strengthened or weakened by controlling the amount of current flowing through the wire.

3. What are some practical applications of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, speakers, and doorbells. They are also used in industries like manufacturing, transportation, and telecommunications.

4. How is an electromagnet different from a permanent magnet?

An electromagnet can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity, while a permanent magnet is always magnetic. Electromagnets also have stronger magnetic fields and can be made to be much larger than permanent magnets.

5. Can I make my own electromagnet?

Yes, you can make your own electromagnet by wrapping a wire around a metal core, such as a nail, and connecting it to a battery. The more coils of wire you have and the stronger the current, the stronger your electromagnet will be.