Torque and rigid body rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses the basics of rigid body rotation, including torque and other angular parameters like angular velocity and acceleration. It is mentioned that torque can be defined about a point or an axis, and any point along the axis can be chosen as the origin when calculating r x f. The concept of a couple is also introduced, with it being stated that a couple consists of two identical forces in opposite directions. It is explained that in rotational equilibrium, the net torque about every point/axis must be zero, and this is possible by applying equilibrium equations. Finally, the conversation touches on the idea that a single force can cause a rigid bar to rotate, while a couple will only cause rotation without translation.
transparent
Hello. My first post here. I'm having trouble with the basics of rigid body rotation. I have a few questions (my apologies if they are too childish; I'm very new to this):

1) Is torque (and other angular parameters like angular velocity, angular acceleration etc.) defined about a point or an axis? If about an axis, then can we choose any point on the axis as origin when calculating r x f?

2) Is a couple always required to produce rotation? If so, then how can torque be produced with just one force? If we have a rod (no gravity, no friction) and we apply force at one of its end, then will it start rotating? The force will produce torque about all the points on the rod except the end, but there will be no couple.

3) In rotational equilibrium, does the net torque about every point/axis have to be zero? Is this even possible? I mean, any force will produce torque about some point.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Edit: I think I've posted in the wrong section. How do I move/delete this thread?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
transparent said:
Hello. My first post here. I'm having trouble with the basics of rigid body rotation. I have a few questions (my apologies if they are too childish; I'm very new to this):

1) Is torque (and other angular parameters like angular velocity, angular acceleration etc.) defined about a point or an axis? If about an axis, then can we choose any point on the axis as origin when calculating r x f?

The torque given by r x f will produce a vector which is both perpendicular to r and f. So if you are to calculate the torque about a point due to a force F. Then you just need to get the r vector from the point to the force and then apply the cross-product. I am not sure if I answered your question here.

transparent said:
2) Is a couple always required to produce rotation? If so, then how can torque be produced with just one force? If we have a rod (no gravity, no friction) and we apply force at one of its end, then will it start rotating? The force will produce torque about all the points on the rod except the end, but there will be no couple.

A couple would consist of two identical forces in opposite directions. So if you consider a rigid bar fixed at one end (like a hinge so it can rotate). If you apply a force about the free end (not fixed end), the bar will rotate and the force would not be due to a couple.

transparent said:
3) In rotational equilibrium, does the net torque about every point/axis have to be zero? Is this even possible? I mean, any force will produce torque about some point.

Yes a condition of equilibrium would be the torque about any point would be zero. Based on the problem, if you apply your equilibrium equations (ƩFx=Fy=Fz=0), you will get reaction forces, which when if you calculate the torque about a single point, the reaction forces will produce torques which can cause the overall net torque to be equal to zero.

transparent said:
In general, r x f is the torque about a point. If you just want the torque about some axis, you'd take the component of that torque along that axis. You can choose any point along the axis as your origin--the component of the torque parallel to the axis will be the same.

rock.freak667 said:
A couple would consist of two identical forces in opposite directions. So if you consider a rigid bar fixed at one end (like a hinge so it can rotate). If you apply a force about the free end (not fixed end), the bar will rotate and the force would not be due to a couple.
What if the rigid bar is not fixed at one end, as in my question? Will the torque still make it rotate?

Doc Al said:
In general, r x f is the torque about a point. If you just want the torque about some axis, you'd take the component of that torque along that axis. You can choose any point along the axis as your origin--the component of the torque parallel to the axis will be the same.

Thanks.

transparent said:
What if the rigid bar is not fixed at one end, as in my question? Will the torque still make it rotate?

When the rigid bar is not fixed at one end, the torque still make it rotate, and the single force will cause translational acceleration on the bar.

While for couple, the pair of forces gives no resultant forces. It is just rotation without translation.

butan1ol said:
When the rigid bar is not fixed at one end, the torque still make it rotate, and the single force will cause translational acceleration on the bar.

While for couple, the pair of forces gives no resultant forces. It is just rotation without translation.

Thanks.:approve:

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around a fixed axis. It is typically represented by the symbol "τ" and is measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque calculated?

The magnitude of torque can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Mathematically, it can be represented as τ = F x r, where F is the force and r is the distance.

3. What factors affect torque?

The magnitude of torque is influenced by two main factors: the magnitude of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. The direction of the force also plays a role in determining the direction of the resulting torque.

4. How is torque related to rigid body rotation?

Torque is directly related to rigid body rotation because it is the force that causes an object to rotate around a fixed axis. The greater the torque applied to an object, the greater the resulting rotation will be.

5. How is torque used in real-world applications?

Torque is used in many real-world applications, including mechanical engineering, construction, and transportation. It is essential for tasks such as tightening bolts and screws, lifting heavy objects, and powering vehicles. It is also crucial in sports, such as in the swing of a golf club or the pitch of a baseball.