Why is aspirin used in myocardial infarction?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
In summary, the use of aspirin in cardiac disorders and during an acute MI is effective in combination with other thrombolytic agents. While there is a specific time period for optimal use, the concept of a "full thrombus" does not apply in the acute situation and reperfusion is the ultimate goal. In established occluded coronary arteries, mechanical dilation and stenting may be necessary rather than thrombolytic therapy.
sameeralord
Hello,

I'm simply confused how effective is giving aspirin in various cardiac disorder? Ok someone develops severe chest pain, presents to hospital within 3 hours due to MI?Is there any use in giving aspirin. I know aspirin disaggregates platelets, and this is primary haemostasis. Now within 3 hours I believe primary haemostasis is already done, so is their any point in giving aspirin. What I'm basically asking is how long does primary and secondary haemostasis take and also let's say a full thrombus was formed then is the only choice to lyse it with streptokinase, or does aspirin have an effect even after a full thrombus is formed.Then having said all that and if they are only true only use I can see of aspirin is prophylaxis in cardiac disorders or very early MI. Thanks :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
sameeralord said:
Hello,

I'm simply confused how effective is giving aspirin in various cardiac disorder? Ok someone develops severe chest pain, presents to hospital within 3 hours due to MI?Is there any use in giving aspirin. I know aspirin disaggregates platelets, and this is primary haemostasis. Now within 3 hours I believe primary haemostasis is already done, so is their any point in giving aspirin. What I'm basically asking is how long does primary and secondary haemostasis take and also let's say a full thrombus was formed then is the only choice to lyse it with streptokinase, or does aspirin have an effect even after a full thrombus is formed.Then having said all that and if they are only true only use I can see of aspirin is prophylaxis in cardiac disorders or very early MI. Thanks :smile:

Aspirin (ASA) has been shown to have a synergistic effect with a number of thrombolytic agents and is often used in combination with them in the ER/ICU unless there are contraindications. While there is an ideal time period for using such agents, the idea of a "full thrombus" doesn't apply in the acute situation. A thrombus may continue to extend under the right conditions. The real end point is evidence for reperfusion.

http://www.rcpals.com/downloads/fibrinoforACS72006.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2108852

Last edited:
you need to look up the protocols to treating MI, it gives a nice algorithms of what to do. Also unless you have been to a catheter lab you don know how much the coronaries are occluded

mazinse said:
Also unless you have been to a catheter lab you don know how much the coronaries are occluded

You need to distinguish between the use of antithrombotics/thrombolytics in the acute situation (MI in progress) and established occluded coronary arteries. In the latter case, mechanical dilatation and the placement of stents or bypass surgery may be indicated, but not the thrombolytic therapy that the OP asked about.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/161446-overview

Opening coronary arteries with PCI (see link) may be an option in the acute situation as well, usually if drug treatment fails.

Last edited:

There are several reasons why aspirin is used in myocardial infarction (MI). First, aspirin is a potent antiplatelet agent that helps prevent the formation of blood clots. In an MI, a blood clot can form in one of the coronary arteries, blocking blood flow to the heart muscle and causing damage. By giving aspirin, we can reduce the likelihood of this happening and potentially prevent further damage to the heart.

Secondly, aspirin also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the inflammation and damage that occurs in the heart during an MI. This can help improve the overall outcome and recovery for the patient.

Additionally, aspirin is often given as part of a combination therapy with other medications, such as thrombolytics (like streptokinase) or beta blockers, to further reduce the risk of complications and improve the patient's prognosis.

In terms of timing, it is important to give aspirin as soon as possible after the onset of symptoms in an MI. While primary hemostasis (the initial formation of a blood clot) may occur within a few hours, the process of secondary hemostasis (the strengthening and stabilization of the clot) can take much longer. By giving aspirin early, we can potentially prevent further clot formation and reduce the risk of complications.

Overall, aspirin is an important and effective medication in the treatment of myocardial infarction. It is used both as a preventive measure and as part of a comprehensive treatment plan to improve outcomes for patients.

What is a myocardial infarction?

A myocardial infarction, also known as a heart attack, occurs when the flow of oxygen-rich blood to a section of heart muscle is blocked, causing damage or death to that area of the heart.

How does aspirin help in myocardial infarction?

Aspirin is a blood thinner that helps prevent blood clots from forming. In a myocardial infarction, a blood clot can block the flow of blood to the heart, causing further damage. Aspirin helps prevent this by making the blood less likely to clot, allowing it to flow more freely.

Is aspirin safe to use in a myocardial infarction?

Aspirin is generally considered safe to use in a myocardial infarction, as long as it is taken as directed and not contraindicated by other health conditions or medications. However, it is always best to consult with a doctor before starting any new medication.

Can aspirin be used as a treatment for a myocardial infarction?

Aspirin is not a treatment for a myocardial infarction, but it can help prevent further damage or complications. Immediate medical attention is still necessary for proper treatment of a heart attack.

Are there any side effects of using aspirin in a myocardial infarction?

As with any medication, there can be potential side effects when using aspirin in a myocardial infarction. These can include stomach upset, increased risk of bleeding, and allergic reactions. It is important to discuss any concerns with a doctor before using aspirin for this purpose.