Is the mind a collection of thoughts ?

by sir.lemmiwink5
Tags: collection, mind
sir.lemmiwink5
Oct2-13, 09:36 PM
P: 1
What is the mind considered to be in physics ? Is it just a collection of thoughts ?

And has there ever been any studies done on the mind and matter manipulation ?

Appreciate all replies.

Physics is Phun
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
lasix
Oct2-13, 10:27 PM
P: 12
For whatever it's worth, I have always considered the mind to be a collection of chemical reactions... more chemistry in my opinion.
sir.lemmiwink5
Oct3-13, 01:48 AM
P: 1
okay, just to make clear that i was not talking about the brain and my take on the mind is that it is metaphysical. However, if you are talking about the same thing, then what type of chemicals do you believe is in this collection ? and has there been any studies or evidence to back what your saying, or is it more of a self belief ?

I would just like you to understand that i am not trying to undermine you in anyway, i appreciate you answering my question. I am just soo confused and am trying to find a definitive answer to make sense of it so i can go to sleep at night.

Cheers lasix.

DennisN
Oct3-13, 03:04 AM
P: 441

Is the mind a collection of thoughts ?

Hi sir.lemmiwink5, and welcome to Physics Forums!

Quote Quote by sir.lemmiwink5 View Post
What is the mind considered to be in physics ? Is it just a collection of thoughts ?
"Mind" is a pretty slippery term; it might be better to use the word "brain". And regarding the brain, this is more a topic in biology and chemistry (see Neuroscience).

And has there ever been any studies done on the mind and matter manipulation ?
Please be more specific, what do you mean by "mind and matter manipulation"?

n.b. I could add though that there are no scientific indications or scientific reasons to believe that the brain does not follow the laws of physics at the bottom level.

EDIT:
okay, just to make clear that i was not talking about the brain and my take on the mind is that it is metaphysical.
Please note that this is a physics forum. We do not discuss metaphysics/philosophy here .
Drakkith
Oct3-13, 03:15 AM
PF Gold
P: 11,057
okay, just to make clear that i was not talking about the brain and my take on the mind is that it is metaphysical.
As has been said, we do not discuss metaphysical subjects here on PF. That is not the purpose of this forum.

I would just like you to understand that i am not trying to undermine you in anyway, i appreciate you answering my question. I am just soo confused and am trying to find a definitive answer to make sense of it so i can go to sleep at night.

Cheers lasix.
There is no definitive answer. The question "how does our brain/mind/consciousness work" is far from answered. However, there are real attempts being made to connect the physical brain with the more abstract concepts like thought, memory, consciousness, etc. If you'd like to find out more about those topics then feel free to head on over to the biology subforum and post a few questions. Just stick to real physics and not metaphysics.

Register to reply