Looking for wireless device to connect dongle

by issacnewton
Tags: connect, device, dongle, wireless
issacnewton
Oct6-13, 09:26 PM
P: 607
Hi

I am using win xp on my laptop. I recently purchased D-Link DWM-156 dongle (google for images). In this I insert indian SIM card and hook this into the USB port of my laptop anb then connect to the net. Now these dongles work best when the signal strength is strong. When I take my laptop to the balcony of my apartment, the signal becomes strong and there is less tendency to get disconnected. But inside the apartment, signal is not so strong and my net connection gets disconnected after every 15 minutes. So I was wondering if I can get some wireless USB port and hook my dongle to
it and keep this in the balcony of my apartment, so that I don't have to worry much.

Thanks
Issacnewton
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
UltrafastPED
Oct7-13, 11:21 AM
Thanks
P: 1,364
Look for a "WiFi Range Extender", or "WiFi Repeater" - they are widely available.
Routaran
Oct7-13, 12:19 PM
P: 271
You will need to use a router that allows the WAN connection to come from a 3G/4G USB dongle device. Here's an example of what you will need to use
http://www.netgear.com/3G
You will be able to plug your USB dongle into the wireless router and it will broadcast the connection.

A range extender will also work but it will need to be like the router in that your USB dongle will need to plug directly into it.

Check at your local computer stores to see if they are offering something like that.

Also since you have the DWM156, you may also want to look at the DWR730
http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/p...21-mbps-router

issacnewton
Oct8-13, 07:59 PM
P: 607

Looking for wireless device to connect dongle

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into it

Register to reply