QM: Need Help Applying Fourier Transform

In summary, the Fourier transform is a way to break down a wave into its sinusoidal wave components. I am very familiar with calculus and integration, but I am taking a QM course and I need to know how to apply it. I asked for help on a forum, and the person who responded said that they were unable to understand the proof either.
Radarithm
Gold Member
I understand the Fourier transform conceptually, but I am unable to reproduce it mathematically; I am very familiar with calculus and integration, but I am taking a QM course and I need to know how to apply it. No websites or videos are able to give me a good explanation as to how I can use it, so I decided to ask for help here.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong section

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would greatly help people here if you could show an example that you don't understand, and say what you don't understand about it. Otherwise we're "shooting blindly in the dark."

Radarithm said:
I am unable to understand how this: http://gyazo.com/5c78dc5774850d609ce200efa446cfbf
and this: http://gyazo.com/f182937cb662f5e2241bea977f2929ea
are equal, and how the Fourier transform is done. I do however understand what the Fourier transform is: A way to break down a certain wave into its sinusoidal wave components (ie. WAVE = sin wave1 + sin wave2 + ...)

The proof of that is a little complicated, but I can give you an intuitive argument.

Start with the discrete version. Suppose we have a function [itex]f(x)[/itex] that is created by adding up a bunch of sines and cosines:

• [itex]f(x) = \sum_n C_n e^{\frac{n \pi i x}{L}}[/itex]
  • [itex]C_n = \frac{1}{2 L} \int_{-L}^{L} f(x) e^{\frac{-n \pi i x}{L}} dx[/itex]

Now, to make the forward and reverse transforms look more alike, let me introduce a new variable, [itex]k_n[/itex] defined by [itex]k_n = \frac{n \pi}{L}[/itex], then [itex]\delta k = k_{n+1} - k_n = \frac{\pi}{L}[/itex]

In terms of [itex]k_n[/itex], you can write the forward and reverse transforms as:
  • [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \sum_n (2 L C_n) e^{i k_n x} \delta k[/itex]
  • [itex]2L C_n = \int_{-L}^{L} f(x) e^{-i k_n x} dx[/itex]

Now, let's define [itex]F(k_n) = 2 L C_n[/itex], so we have:
  • [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \sum_n F(k_n) e^{i k_n x} \delta k[/itex]
  • [itex]F(k_n) = \int_{-L}^{L} f(x) e^{-i k_n x} dx[/itex]

Now, as [itex]L \rightarrow \infty[/itex], [itex]\delta k \rightarrow 0[/itex]. Then the discrete sum for [itex]f(x)[/itex] approaches an integral:

[itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int F(k) e^{i k x} dk[/itex]

So in this limit, the forstward and reverse transformations look like:

• [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int F(k) e^{i k x} dk[/itex]
  • [itex]F(k) = \int f(x) e^{-i k x} dx[/itex]

Likes 1 person
stevendaryl said:
The proof of that is a little complicated, but I can give you an intuitive argument.

Start with the discrete version. Suppose we have a function [itex]f(x)[/itex] that is created by adding up a bunch of sines and cosines:

• [itex]f(x) = \sum_n C_n e^{\frac{n \pi i x}{L}}[/itex]
  • [itex]C_n = \frac{1}{2 L} \int_{-L}^{L} f(x) e^{\frac{-n \pi i x}{L}} dx[/itex]

Now, to make the forward and reverse transforms look more alike, let me introduce a new variable, [itex]k_n[/itex] defined by [itex]k_n = \frac{n \pi}{L}[/itex], then [itex]\delta k = k_{n+1} - k_n = \frac{\pi}{L}[/itex]

In terms of [itex]k_n[/itex], you can write the forward and reverse transforms as:
  • [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \sum_n (2 L C_n) e^{i k_n x} \delta k[/itex]
  • [itex]2L C_n = \int_{-L}^{L} f(x) e^{-i k_n x} dx[/itex]

Now, let's define [itex]F(k_n) = 2 L C_n[/itex], so we have:
  • [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \sum_n F(k_n) e^{i k_n x} \delta k[/itex]
  • [itex]F(k_n) = \int_{-L}^{L} f(x) e^{-i k_n x} dx[/itex]

Now, as [itex]L \rightarrow \infty[/itex], [itex]\delta k \rightarrow 0[/itex]. Then the discrete sum for [itex]f(x)[/itex] approaches an integral:

[itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int F(k) e^{i k x} dk[/itex]

So in this limit, the forstward and reverse transformations look like:

• [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int F(k) e^{i k x} dk[/itex]
  • [itex]F(k) = \int f(x) e^{-i k x} dx[/itex]

Made things a lot clearer, thanks! :biggrin:

1. What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function or signal into its constituent frequencies. It is commonly used in signal processing and image processing to analyze and manipulate data in the frequency domain.

2. How is the Fourier Transform applied in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Fourier Transform is used to represent a quantum state in terms of position or momentum eigenstates. This allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of particles in terms of their position or momentum probabilities.

3. What is the relationship between the Fourier Transform and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The Fourier Transform is closely related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. The Fourier Transform allows us to switch between position and momentum representations, illustrating the complementary nature of these quantities.

4. How do you apply the Fourier Transform in practical quantum mechanical problems?

In practical quantum mechanical problems, the Fourier Transform is used to solve for the wave function of a particle in a given potential. It can also be used to calculate the expectation values of observables and to analyze the energy spectrum of a system.

5. What are some common challenges in applying the Fourier Transform in quantum mechanics?

Some common challenges in applying the Fourier Transform in quantum mechanics include dealing with infinite integrals, accounting for boundary conditions, and understanding the interpretation of the results in terms of physical observables. Additionally, the Fourier Transform can become more complex when applied to systems with multiple particles or in higher dimensions.