Enthalpy Of reaction

by kevinnn
Tags: enthalpy, reaction
kevinnn
Feb19-14, 11:56 PM
P: 108
Im going to try my best to write out this chemical equation. Also I'm gonna write a forward arrow but it's really it should be the equilibrium arrows.

[Co(H2O)6]2+ + 4Cl- --> [CoCl4]2- + 6H2O

Sorry for that, I don't know how to use the math font or whatever it's called.

The question is whether the reaction is exothermic or endothermic. I think reaction is endothermic. Cobalt chloride is a red color and when we heated a solution of it in the presence of hydrochloric acid it turned a dark blue color. A possible solution I thought of as to why it's endothermic is because energy is required to break the attractions between the cobalt ion and the water molecules. I believe that is called a metal ion complex, correct? I'm very unconfident about this answer. Can I please get some feed back? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
First view of nature-inspired catalyst after ripping hydrogen apart provides insights for better, cheaper fuel cells
Following a protein's travel inside cells is key to improving patient monitoring, drug development
Team helps cancer treatment drugs get past their sticking point

Register to reply