Associate's Degree Career Opportunities

In summary: If you're looking to pursue a career in physics, you'll need to get a higher level degree, such as a bachelor's or a master's. A low level lab technician job is possible, but you'll need to have a bachelor's degree in order to become a college professor. A three year engineering technology diploma won't get you very far, as you'll need a four year university degree to get an assistant professor position. American schools don't typically offer associate degrees in physics, and a four year university degree is the best option for most.
huhwhat
Hi,

As the title suggests, I would like to know about the career opportunities available to me with an associate's degree in General Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Highway construction, Welder, Roofer, Drywall, Sanitation, Telemarketing, Cashier, Subway Sandwhich Artist, Hobo, College Professor, Hair Stylist, Plumber, Toll Booth Attendant, Caffeteria Cook, School Bus Driver...
The list is endless.

Nothing000 said:
Highway construction, Welder, Roofer, Drywall, Sanitation, Telemarketing, Cashier, Subway Sandwhich Artist, Hobo, College Professor, Hair Stylist, Plumber, Toll Booth Attendant, Caffeteria Cook, School Bus Driver...
The list is endless.

What? Even at the community college level you still need at least a bachelor's, and realistically a master's.

You might get a low level lab technician job, if you wanted to work in a physics related field.

Yup, a Master's needed to be a college professor.

A low level lab technician doesn't sound too bad. I'm indeed hoping to work in a physics related field, scrap up enough money and continue pursuing my education.

So, any other jobs in a physics related field?

huhwhat said:
Yup, a Master's needed to be a college professor.

At most four-year colleges in the U.S., a Master's will get you an instructor-level position. For an assistant professor position you need a Ph.D., or be about to finish one. And in that case you need to finish the Ph.D. pretty soon or you'll have to leave.

I am glad that you guys thought me joke was so funny.

jtbell said:
At most four-year colleges in the U.S., a Master's will get you an instructor-level position. For an assistant professor position you need a Ph.D., or be about to finish one. And in that case you need to finish the Ph.D. pretty soon or you'll have to leave.

I was referring to a CC when I said a master's is required to become a "professor", not a 4-yr college. For a 4-yr institution, a Ph.D is needed to get an assistant professorship.

I don't know much about american schools, but I don't see many job offers around for 3 year associate degrees in Canada. Another option worth considering is a 3 year college technology course in engineering. These are very employable here, however a 4 year university version would be much more desirable to most. With a three year engineering technology diploma, many universities will give credit for 2 of 4 years towards an engineering degree.

Last edited:
Homer Simpson said:
I don't know much about american schools, but I don't see many job offers around for 3 year associate degrees in Canada. Another option worth considering is a 3 year college technology course in engineering. These are very employable here, however a 4 year university version would be much more desirable to most. With a three year engineering technology degree, many universities will give credit for 2 of 4 years towards an engineering degree.

If your going to put in 3 years into an associate degree. You might as well go all the way and put in that one extra year or two to get the bachelor's. One year is a very short time in terms of classes.

Homer Simpson said:
I don't know much about american schools, but I don't see many job offers around for 3 year associate degrees in Canada. Another option worth considering is a 3 year college technology course in engineering. These are very employable here, however a 4 year university version would be much more desirable to most. With a three year engineering technology degree, many universities will give credit for 2 of 4 years towards an engineering degree.

I don't know of any universities that will transfer engineering technology credit over to a engineering program in the states...the classes ETs take tend to be completely different from the classes engineers take.

1. What types of careers can I pursue with an associate's degree?

There are a wide range of career opportunities available to individuals with an associate's degree in various fields such as healthcare, technology, business, education, and more. Some common job titles include medical assistant, web developer, paralegal, graphic designer, and preschool teacher.

2. Is an associate's degree enough to get a good job?

While a bachelor's degree is typically required for many higher-level positions, an associate's degree can still lead to a fulfilling and well-paying career. It provides valuable skills and knowledge that can make you a competitive candidate for entry-level jobs and can also be a stepping stone to further education.

3. Can I transfer my associate's degree to a four-year college?

Yes, many community colleges have articulation agreements with four-year universities that allow students to transfer their credits and complete a bachelor's degree. It is important to research and plan ahead to make sure your credits will transfer to the specific university and program you are interested in.

4. How much can I expect to earn with an associate's degree?

The salary for individuals with an associate's degree varies depending on the field and job position. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for those with an associate's degree was $54,840 in 2019.

5. Can I get a job in a different field than my associate's degree?

Yes, an associate's degree provides a solid foundation of skills and knowledge that can be applied to various industries. Many employers value the critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills that are developed through completing an associate's degree, making it possible to transition into a different field or position with additional training and experience.