Bad advertisement on Physics Forums

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of bad advertisements on Physics Forums and the need to remove them. Greg has requested a list of these ads and some have been reported and banned. It is mentioned that these ads are automated through Google Adsense and it would be best to add them to a thread for everyone to see. Some examples of these bad ads are given, such as "we will write your essay for you" and "final theory" books. Participants in the conversation suggest banning these ads and provide links to them. In conclusion, the main focus is on identifying and removing these "bad ads" in order to maintain the seriousness of Physics Forums.
EL
Science Advisor
Some months ago the subject of bad advertisement in Physics Forums was discussed, ending with Greg requesting a list of which adds should be classified as "bad". Better late than never, I have decided to start building a list here. I understand this is an economical question too, but I think it is in both Greg's as well as all other member's interest to keep "nutcase-adds" out from PF in order to make this site appear serious. Please help with suggesting which advertisements that should be removed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh yeah, a while back I meant to report some. Some of the "we will write your essay for you" ads n the homework section look rather illegal, or at very least immoral.

I've banned the sites above. It's amazing how many quacks have websites. Thanks for the reports, keep them coming.

Add things to this thread, or would you prefer PMs?

Greg how exactly are these businesses able to advertise on PF. Dont they pay a fee or at least seek permission or something of that sort?

Bystander said:
Add things to this thread, or would you prefer PMs?

Wouldn't it be best to just add them to this thread? So that everyone know which "bad adds" have been reported.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I've banned the sites above. It's amazing how many quacks have websites. Thanks for the reports, keep them coming.
Just a thought, Greg: Once you've banned a site, you may want to delete the post that reported it. No point in giving these crackpot sites free advertising within PF!

Great. I find a couple of them each time I log in. Hopefully their frequency will go down soon...

Just found my "all time favorite". It actually hurts to put it on the list:cry: , since it gave me so much fun. But I guess I have to do it for the best of science...:wink:

Relativity in Islam
http://speed-light.info/relativity.html?gclid=CLK4sMiW6YECFQ4HGgodbUXcqw
Forum: Computers

Last edited by a moderator:
In the relativity forum there's an ad of some "final theory" book sold on amazon. And some gravity&magnetism theory ad. Both seem to involve heavy duty crackpottery.

inha said:
In the relativity forum there's an ad of some "final theory" book sold on amazon. And some gravity&magnetism theory ad.
If you post the exact links it will make it easier for Greg to ban them.

I just found my all time favorit again!:tongue2:

Relativity in Islam
http://www.speed-light.info/challenge.html?gclid=CIDksMSX7IQCFRhgEgodGG_akg
Forum:Quantum Physics

EL said:
I just found my all time favorit again!:tongue2:
I know conspiraloons can find anything out of any printed work...

but that's quite cool.

Better than that dude walking on water :tongue2:

found one
http://www.magicaltransformations.com/quantumphysics-ns.htm

www.quantumphysicsexplained.com[/URL]
Doesn't have anything to do with the domain name.

Here's one

http://www.magicaltransformations.com/quantumphysics-s.htm

1. What constitutes a "bad advertisement" on Physics Forums?

A bad advertisement on Physics Forums is one that does not align with the community guidelines and purpose of the forum. This includes advertisements for irrelevant or inappropriate products or services, spam, or excessively repetitive advertising.

2. How does bad advertisement affect the community on Physics Forums?

Bad advertisement can negatively impact the community on Physics Forums by cluttering the forum with irrelevant or spammy content, making it difficult for users to find useful information. It can also create a sense of distrust and annoyance among users.

3. What actions are taken against bad advertisements on Physics Forums?

The moderators on Physics Forums actively monitor and remove any advertisements that violate the community guidelines. Users can also report any bad advertisements they come across. Repeat offenders may be banned from the forum.

4. Can I advertise my own products or services on Physics Forums?

Yes, you can advertise your own products or services on Physics Forums as long as they are relevant to the forum and do not violate the community guidelines. However, excessive self-promotion or spamming is not allowed.

5. Is there a specific section for advertisements on Physics Forums?

No, there is not a specific section for advertisements on Physics Forums. Advertisements should be posted in the appropriate sub-forum related to the product or service being advertised. However, users may also include a link to their website or business in their forum signature.